OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Youth gun recommendations

Started by Sandman50, December 27, 2023, 12:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandman50

What guns have you all used to introduce kids to hunting?  I have a 12 year old daughter who is somewhat recoil sensitive so I am trying to stick to .410 and 28 gauge guns. Any input would be appreciated.  We have to shoot TSS loads as we live in a Communist state lol.

Bowguy

You say "hunting" but might be mainly talking turkey I'd assume by the tss thing. Idk of any state allows only tss. Non toxic shot comes in different types.
I'm not a big .410 fan though I've seen plenty of guys do well with it for turkey. Just not my favorite. Personally I use .28 ga. It kicks soft enough and allows more of a forgivable pattern. That's especially true with any type wingshooting should you be so inclined to hunt other small game. .410 tend to rat hole game or clean miss. Just not the best overall gun for moving objects.
If I can since you may or may not know this. Felt recoil is determined by many things. Weight of gun, load, action type, stock drop and position of shooter. One thing some don't think about is noise. The louder something seems the more it seems to kick with kids. I recommend double hearing protectors. Inner plugs and outer muffs. One more thing. I've taught/mentored many kids over lots years. Do not let them shoot turkey loads in practice. I reload light target loads for them to practice with. I check the gun for poa without the kid using the turkey loads. Usually it's a gun I have checked already.  I don't tell them anything different. Come turkey hunt morning I slip hunt shells in the gun. Not one kid ever noticed and most get shots.
Now for turkey my daughters by age 10, one of them the smallest kid in her class, the other maybe an inch bigger shot .20s for turkey with no issues but we started w .22 rimfire, than 28s until the light 20 ga loads until turkey season. It's the way I do it with all kids

joey46

I once owned a 20 ga semi-auto youth model Winchester 1400 and used it for dove.  With light loads the recoil was very minimal.  Plenty of good tss out there now in 20 ga.  Good luck.

zelmo1

Everyone here knows that I am partial to the 28 gauge and with good reason. You can get some soft shooting loads that pattern very well. If you match a good choke to your needs then it is the 28 for me, my wife and 1/2 of mt hunting kids.  The boy is too manly for a little 28, lol. Z

jhoward11

I did a lot of the same for my boys. Started with light load 20g w skeet shooting, and the transition was nothing going to a heavy load. Adding recoil pads, she should be good to go, and 20g is a great turkey gun. Oh, the good ole days!!!

Tail Feathers

Along with the gun, consider putting some type of pad in the child's shirt to help absorb/spread recoil.  Use it when practicing too.  Maybe use double side tape and it can be moved to next year's shirt/jacket when the child grows.  Just a thought.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

WV Flopper

Ain't sure on what to use.

But, its a big NO on the Mossberg 510 Mini Bantum 20 gauge. Kicks like a mule!

Remington700

I have a daughter that started with a 20 gauge Remington 870. Then we moved her up to a Franchi Affinity 3 youth. Practice shooting trap or something fun. That seems to work better than just paper.

zelmo1

Another great youth/ladies gun is the Franchi AL48. My son went to this after the ,22 and loved it. He was 8 and shot his first turkey and duck with the 20 gauge version. They do make a 28 also. Z

Sandman50

Thanks for all of the input you guys. I really appreciate it. I knew there would be some great ideas coming and you guys sure delivered. ????. I think we are gonna have to get a Mossberg SA-28 turkey with the pistol grip. She's been turkey hunting with me one time and I think she's hooked. ????????????

zelmo1

Excellent choice my friend. I do suggest that you break it down and clean it prior to firing it, to get all the cosmoline out of it. Then shoot a few hundred rounds of some sort of clays to loosen it up. Enjoy it with your daughter. Z