turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

28ga guns

Started by twyatt, December 23, 2023, 11:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twyatt

In the market for another 28ga.  I had 3 SA-28's and had to dump 2 of them due to ejection problems, which was infuriating because I loved everything about them.   Absolutely perfect turkey gun in every way, except they wouldn't cycle. 

The only other semi auto 28's I really see that are available right now are the SBE3 and the Beretta A400.  Not sure I can swing a $1700 turkey-only gun right now.

Any other 28's out there I'm missing?  Not interested in an O/U right now, looking at semi autos.

Greg Massey

Quote from: twyatt on December 23, 2023, 11:01:12 AM
In the market for another 28ga.  I had 3 SA-28's and had to dump 2 of them due to ejection problems, which was infuriating because I loved everything about them.   Absolutely perfect turkey gun in every way, except they wouldn't cycle. 

The only other semi auto 28's I really see that are available right now are the SBE3 and the Beretta A400.  Not sure I can swing a $1700 turkey-only gun right now.

Any other 28's out there I'm missing?  Not interested in an O/U right now, looking at semi autos.

Tristar ?

FL-Boss

Tristar is pretty much a carbon copy of the Moss as far as the internals go. Most of the Turkish made "SA" guns are made in the same factory and imported under different names - mossberg, tristar, and a ton of other off brands.
I think I have owned over 10 turkish made semi guns in all the gauges - mostly mossberg and tristars and the older SA Weatherby. They have all been good.  I assume you tried other ammo brands with your SA-28? If not, that could likely be the issue. My SA-28 has been great thus far, probably shot it 25 times. Only run Apex.

twyatt

I've had 3 SA-28's.  2 would not cycle any TSS properly.  They would shoot and eject the first shell, then the 2nd wouldn't come up from the mag tube.   I tried Rogue, Apex, hand loads, and and Viper.   It did it with all of them.   The one I still have seems to be working properly with Apex and Viper so far, but yes, I tried a lot of different ammo.   They cycled fine with standard target/dove load, but wouldn't cycle any TSS at all.   When I called Mossberg they blamed it on the shell, thinking I was shooting low brass target loads.  When I said I was shooting TSS - crickets.   Uhh, send us the gun and we'll take a look at it, turnaround time is 6-8 weeks.   No thanks

I'm too leery to try TriStar knowing that it's basically a carbon copy of the SA. 

greentrout

Should have kept that 870 20!  :angry9:
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

SA410Turkey

My SA 28 like others have said is a really nice Turkey gun and patterns extremely well. Mine won't cycle light loads but I haven't had any problems with TSS. The problem I'm having is after I shoot the 3 shells the bolt won't lock back when you fired the last shell out of the tube. Not sure what to do about that. I don't want to send the gun back and wait 8 weeks either. I did look at the SBE 3 also but haven't heard much about it for Turkey hunting.

krm944

Quote from: SA410Turkey on January 10, 2024, 08:41:19 PM
My SA 28 like others have said is a really nice Turkey gun and patterns extremely well. Mine won't cycle light loads but I haven't had any problems with TSS. The problem I'm having is after I shoot the 3 shells the bolt won't lock back when you fired the last shell out of the tube. Not sure what to do about that. I don't want to send the gun back and wait 8 weeks either. I did look at the SBE 3 also but haven't heard much about it for Turkey hunting.

I had something similar happen on a different gun. Pull the trigger group and give it a good scrubbing with tooth brush and the new gun scrubber that's safe for camo guns. As trigger group is out, scrub the action and lube. I think these guns leave the factory with packing grease, not lube.

PalmettoRon

I bought the Beretta A400 28 some years ago. It's a turkey mauler with a Jebs XF choke and Foxtrot 9.5 TSS. However, I've killed a ton of doves, some ducks and even Canada geese along with grouse with it.

It's way more than a turkey gun.

I love it so much, I sold some guns and bought the SBE 3 in 28. Same deal, it's been a duck killer and come this Spring it'll get some action too.

Sure, as just a turkey gun it's very hard to justify buying either one, but both are way more than a turkey gun and they have both been super reliable.

twyatt

I've looked HARD at the A400 and the SBE3 28ga guns.  The SBE shoulders perfectly for me, like it was made for me, but I HATE that carbon fiber rib.
The A400 feels good as well, but I like a raised rib gun.  I also don't like the giant "28" engraved all over the side of the A400, but that's really not going to keep me from buying the gun.
If Benelli gets rid of that stupid carbon fiber rib and goes back the a standard rib, that will be my next gun.
For now I just scored a deal on a M2 20ga compact, so my gun itch is temporarily scratched for now.

I also don't dove or duck hunt, which is making it a little harder to justify $1800.   I really had my fingers crossed that Franchi would come out with a 28ga at the SHOT show this year, but no luck.

SA410Turkey

KRM 944, thank you, I'll have to try that. I put in a non ported choke the other day and it locked back every time. Seems like it won't with ported chokes.

krm944

Quote from: SA410Turkey on February 14, 2024, 05:37:50 PM
KRM 944, thank you, I'll have to try that. I put in a non ported choke the other day and it locked back every time. Seems like it won't with ported chokes.

Then it seems like you have a gas problem.