OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ethics Master Class

Started by eggshell, December 23, 2023, 08:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

I have access to some very good properties because landowners trust my word and know I will follow their rules. A lot has been spoken of on this forum about what is ethical and what isn't.So let's start our own masterclass on the topic. I am a bit apprehensive that this could turn ugly and pray we can all have a discussion to grow from. I ask Shannon to delete any conversations that are argumentative and rude. My intent is to lay down some guidelines that will make the sport better for all.

When it comes to hunting someone else's land:

Ask every year or even every trip if that is what the landowner wants.
A thank you card and a gift goes a long way to show you appreciate the access
DON'T DRIVE ANYWHERE UNTIL YOUR SURE IT'S OK
If you open a gate then it needs to be closed behind you, always. It does not matter if livestock is present or not
Don't walk across crop fields.
Don't bring ATVs until you have permission to use them.
Stop and lend a hand if you see a landowner working
Leave as little evidence that you were ever there as possible (no litter or damage)
Share some game if the owner likes it.
Do not bring friends until you have permission to bring friends
Don't climb fences between post, or better, don't climb them at all....find a gate.
Don't leave gut piles close to buildings
Don't hunt around buildings.
Don't line jump onto the neighbors, landowners didn't give you permission to create problems for them.

Hunting ethics, I will let you all start this and be kind and open minded. Best keep it to safety and professional, not styles of hunting.

Tom007

Good Post:

SHARE OR OFFER to share your game
Always give them a Christmas gift
Keep ongoing level chain of communication making sure you are living up to their expectations
Pitch in and help out on the property in the off season
Be very careful who you bring (if anyone). They could make a move that gets you kicked off.
Offer to post the property
Basically, leave it like you were never there

Be safe......

GobbleNut

Can't think of much to add to the lists presented for the use of private land.  Since almost all of my hunting is done on public lands, I would add a few additional thoughts on those:
My first thought is my personal pet peeve...people trashing our public lands.
First of all, read up on the regulations concerning the use of the public area you might be visiting.  Most public lands have written regulations regarding what you can do and/or cannot do on those lands. 
Fundamental rule of camping on public lands: Leave no trace.  If you set up camp somewhere, make sure to remove any evidence that you camped there (within reason, obviously).  Scatter campfire rings if you build one, and cover or scatter ashes. Pick up all trash, including the little stuff you may have inadvertently dropped.  If others have camped at that location before you, do the best you can to clean up after them, as well, if they were of the "slob camper" variety (which is quite common).
Make it a habit to pick up trash (also within reason) that you see in your wanderings on public lands.  Pick up the occasional cans or bottles you may find while out hiking...and if you have the time and patience, spend a little time cleaning up the messes along the road often left by some of the hooligan sorts we have to share these lands with (I know,...it's a never-ending battle).  And NEVER throw out trash along roadways or trails just because the hooligans have done it.

dayna105

When growing up we used to hunt the neighborhood. We had the permission of the land owners. When we would come across a damaged fence line we did our best as kids to fix it enough to keep the livestock in.  Always let the owner know so he could inspect the repair. They would always say thanks. I believe some owners let us kids hunt their land so we would keep watch on the fence for them.

Tail Feathers

Leave nothing but footprints and take nothing but your bird and some memories.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

NCL

Great list. I have always approached permission to hunt on another's land as a great gift and treated the property the same as if I owned it. Regearing gates I was taught that if the gate is closed then close it and if the gate was open then leave it open.

Greg Massey

I have the utmost confidence that most, all regular members on this forum know how to treat landowners / land ... Ethics ... I Agree just being nice and a great steward of the land and game your after goes a long way with most all landowners ....

Dougas

I have had permission to hunt on 3 tracts of privet property by different owners and still have 2 of them. One was lost due to no fault of my own, but he let a person hunt his land at the same time I had permission and that person group shot into a turkey flock wounding several, which, sent wounded turkeys into the neighboring properties to slowly die. The land owner called me, told me what had happened and how angry the neighbors were and to keep good relations, he decided to not have anyone hunt it. I went out there, and talked to him for over an hour, brought him a thank you gift and went to talk to the neighbors. I went to talk to them when I first hunted there to let them know what I was up to even though the property owner had already talked to them about me. I thanked them for being caring neighbors and how sad I was that someone would do such a bad thing.

One thing that I did with all three property owners was to not go to their property to hunt. I went to their property to visit, as they live on the property. I would take my gun, Visit for a while and then hunt the afternoon, then come back and visit. In the morning I would hunt and then visit. Sometimes, I would go there and visit or help out around the place and not hunt at all. Even when we would see turkeys, I would just let them go and continue with the visit. I want them to know that our personal relationship is more important than a turkey.

Dtrkyman

I'm gonna go with using common sense, but I know it's not too common anymore!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zobo

Ethical hunting is somewhat subjective but by and large follows accepted norms within the hunting community. But there are always personal parameters that develop in long time hunters.
For me:
1. Never shoot at anything you aren't darn sure you will kill cleanly
2. You have to know what's in back of what you're shooting at, if not, don't pull the trigger. It has to be a 100% clear and safe shooting lane.
3. Treat game animals with respect and class, don't gloat about a gory kill, try your hardest to careful prep and eat what you kill, put time into learning recipes you and your family and friends will like.
4. Preserve trophy parts of game animals and proudly display them, this shows due respect for the animals we love so much.
5. Keep hunting success in perspective, don't allow yourself to be drawn into mindset that you have to kill something to have a good time. That mentality can cause desperation and unsafe, regrettable actions.
6.I definitely agree with "Leave No Trace" ethics in the woods, no litter, no shellls, no conspicuous animal parts.
7. Whether you like it or not as a hunter, you represent hunters, try to be respectful of others, non hunters included

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

GobbleNut

Quote from: Zobo on December 23, 2023, 08:55:00 PM
Ethical hunting is somewhat subjective but by and large follows accepted norms within the hunting community. But there are always personal parameters that develop in long time hunters.
For me:
1. Never shoot at anything you aren't darn sure you will kill cleanly
2. You have to know what's in back of what you're shooting at, if not, don't pull the trigger. It has to be a 100% clear and safe shooting lane.
3. Treat game animals with respect and class, don't gloat about a gory kill, try your hardest to careful prep and eat what you kill, put time into learning recipes you and your family and friends will like.
4. Preserve trophy parts of game animals and proudly display them, this shows due respect for the animals we love so much.
5. Keep hunting success in perspective, don't allow yourself to be drawn into mindset that you have to kill something to have a good time. That mentality can cause desperation and unsafe, regrettable actions.
6.I definitely agree with "Leave No Trace" ethics in the woods, no litter, no shellls, no conspicuous animal parts.
7. Whether you like it or not as a hunter, you represent hunters, try to be respectful of others, non hunters included

Great list, Zobo.  Totally agree with all of it. Definitely a list for all of us to live by!  :icon_thumright:

Happy

I guess I am a bit weird on this one, but here goes. I am not a big fan of hunting other people's land. First off, I have to be certain that the landowner and I are good friends and that he understands that our friendship has nothing to do with the fact that they own land. Secondly, if they hunt, I want them to shoot turkeys first. Quite frankly, tagging along and calling in a gobbler is just as much fun as killing one myself. It's more fun if that person hasn't killed many. Secondly, I don't step foot on someone else's land without them knowing about it. Once on their property, I treat it like my own. I am at the point where I hunt on just one of my friends' properties. To be honest, I have had permission for ten years but didn't set foot on it until he asked for help learning how to turkey hunt. So for the last 5 years we have hunted it together. He has done pretty well. I haven't pulled the trigger yet. That's been my choice, and I don't regret it a bit. I have been told I need to kill one this spring, but we will see how it plays out. I told him he needed to kill one first. Then I will possibly get up to bat. Long story short. Friendships matter to me, not land to hunt. I have plenty of public ground and leased ground to hunt. While it may be tougher hunting, I enjoy the challenge and tend to do just fine.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

eggshell

I agree Zobo made a good list. Although most regular posters here are very conscientious and great sportsmen/women I thought this thread would be good to just put it out there in written form. I imagine there are a lot of visitors and lurkers that we know nothing about, so it's time to make our statement on what our values are.

Happy, I understand your position, but a lot of people do not have access to large public areas or leases. Myself, I would be in a world of hurt if all I had to hunt was public, because I can't afford a lease. They get ridiculous prices for leases around me, that's what happens when all the big name video people and hunting media labels your state/area a trophy land for big whitetails. There are two tracks that join my land. One leases for $7500.00 a year and the other for over $12,000.00 a year....Thank goodness I have family and friends who refuse to sell out to leasers and retain their rights for family and friends and even the common Joe. Twenty years ago I could hunt around 2,000 acres by just walking out my door and going whatever direction I wanted. It was all old landowners and soon as they died the heirs took the money from leases. Now I can't get off my property. I have even had the neighboring leasers try and run the hunters I gave permission to, off my land.

I think this also falls within ethics. Respect property lines. Also, when you travel to hunt, respect the local people and communities. Just because you may never return doesn't mean you still don't hunt with character and respect for the resource and local areas.

Happy

Understand completely eggshell. There is an upside to living where I do. There is a reason why my local area isn't a popular hunting destination. In the last few years I have run into more than a few nonresidents that tried their hand here and swore to never return. .  That being said, I am friends with a bunch of land owners who have told me stories, and quite frankly, i can understand why they just don't want to deal with it. The sense of entitlement is unreal. My buddy, who I mentioned earlier, had another fellow that he let hunt on his property from time to time. When this fellow found out I was hunting on the property with him, he lost it. He called my buddy, cussing him and telling him he shouldn't let me hunt there and that if he continued to do so, then they couldn't be friends. I was going to kill everything and leave nothing for him. Kinda funny since I haven't pulled the trigger yet. . So it goes. The average person has no  appreciation for the generosity of others. I figure many on this forum are a cut above, but we are a minority anymore.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Tom007

I guess it sums up to this; never forget that you are a guest on the particular property. Be careful, don't violate anything because you have been granted a "Privilege" that can be taken away at anytime......

Happy Holidays!