turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What keeps me occupied in the off season

Started by Yoder409, December 15, 2023, 09:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Deer season's winding down. Still have late flintlock left. But, I'm a (go figure) turkey hunter heart & soul. Be hunting them in Campeche, Mexico in under 90 days !!!!

For about 7 years now, a buddy and I have been designing and producing carry solutions for just about any type of turkey call. It has grown into a little venture many of you know as  "Yoder409 Turkey Call Holsters".  One of our turkey call holster customers reached out to me a couple months ago wondering if I could design him something a little different...... He wanted a small satchel to safely carry a pair of Glencairn whiskey glasses and a pair of 50ml "airplane bottles" of Wild Turkey bourbon on his outdoor adventures. Being a bourbon guy myself, I agreed to come up with a carry solution for his need. Here is where I ended up. It carries 2 Glencairn glasses and 4 50ml bottles of Wild Turkey.....shoulder carry or belt. (It's stamped with a strutting tom, like all Yoder409 holster designs)

So, I showed this to another bourbon guy. He wanted to know if I could make a similar satchel........but for 3X 750ml "fifths". Why not ?? So, back to the design board. A little more thought involved as "fifth" bottles of bourbon come in so many different shapes and sizes. Here's where I ended up on this one. Carries 3X 750ml "fifths" OR 1X 750ml and 1X 1.75L "handle" bottle. (Not stamped with our strutting tom as the customer has Lexington heritage and wants to put an engraved, brass bridle plate in its place)

Gotta have something to keep me off the street and outta trouble til spring !!!

Or, at LEAST until Unicoi.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

GobbleNut

:icon_thumright:  Very nice leatherwork, Yoder.  I really like that strutting turkey stamp.  That satchel looks very secure for keeping one's "valuables" intact.  :D ;D

Kylongspur88

Very very nice! Good choice on the eagle rare and weller or "poor man's pappy" as we call it. I drive past the distillery every day and I won't tell you what I pay for bottles buying directly from there versus retail or online.

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

sswv

a lot of talent right there Sir.  this is how I occupy myself after deer season is over.  getting everything ready for January and February.  I really wish more people would get involved. It's not only a great way to scout post season it's also a good way to help our game animals in the long run.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: sswv on December 16, 2023, 12:06:47 PM
a lot of talent right there Sir.  this is how I occupy myself after deer season is over.  getting everything ready for January and February.  I really wish more people would get involved. It's not only a great way to scout post season it's also a good way to help our game animals in the long run.
Boiling traps?  Good luck!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

NCL

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on December 16, 2023, 09:02:43 AM
Very very nice! Good choice on the eagle rare and weller or "poor man's pappy" as we call it. I drive past the distillery every day and I won't tell you what I pay for bottles buying directly from there versus retail or online.

I have drank Eagle Rare but have not heard of or tasted Weller, definitely have never experienced "Pappy". Please tell me more of Weller?

NCL

Yoder

Those cases are a thing of beauty and what a great idea.

Kylongspur88

Quote from: NCL on December 16, 2023, 01:10:07 PM

I have drank Eagle Rare but have not heard of or tasted Weller, definitely have never experienced "Pappy". Please tell me more of Weller?

Weller special reserve and pappy share the same mash profile/recipe. To my understanding each barrel of weller special reserve is potentially one that could be finished into pappy based on the taste profile of that particular barrel. The ones that don't make the cut are bottled and sold as a weller. The best ones are aged and finished some more and bottled and sold as pappy's. That's art least my simplistic understanding of it. I've had pappy by the pour and it's good but not my favorite. If I had to drink one bourbon for the rest of my life it would be Blantons.

3bailey3

Very nice! two nice bottles to go in there!

Yoder409

Quote from: 3bailey3 on December 16, 2023, 02:02:04 PM
Very nice! two nice bottles to go in there!

Actually 3 bottles if they're all fifths (750ml).   2 bottles if one's a handle (1.75L)
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on December 16, 2023, 01:51:24 PM
Quote from: NCL on December 16, 2023, 01:10:07 PM

Weller special reserve and pappy share the same mash profile/recipe. To my understanding each barrel of weller special reserve is potentially one that could be finished into pappy based on the taste profile of that particular barrel. The ones that don't make the cut are bottled and sold as a weller. The best ones are aged and finished some more and bottled and sold as pappy's. That's art least my simplistic understanding of it. I've had pappy by the pour and it's good but not my favorite. If I had to drink one bourbon for the rest of my life it would be Blantons.

Your simplistic understandng is the same as mine.   So we're either both right ......or we're both wrong.
PA elitist since 1979

Tom007

Did you ever consider making a Turkey Satchel? Your leather work is real good. I'll bet the "Non-Vest" hunters would love to see a Yoder Satchel..........
"Solo hunter"

paboxcall

Quote from: NCL on December 16, 2023, 01:11:03 PM
Yoder

Those cases are a thing of beauty and what a great idea.

:agreed:

Well done, my friend!
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!