OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunt it or hang it up?

Started by Bwhntr68, December 04, 2023, 07:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bwhntr68

Well I spent a little too much time on eBay yesterday and ending up buying this gem after some haggling. Brand new with the tags on. My intention was to make it my new primary vest but the Mrs. thinks I should keep it as is like a collectible. What do y'all say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PalmettoRon

I'm with the Missus. There are far better functional and better camo patterns in my opinion, but that does bring back some cool memories. I had a coverall in original. TreeBark that got a lot of usage way back in the day.

3bailey3

JeffC

Get first blood on it then retire it. Hope to see pictures of you wearing it with a big old Tom !
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tail Feathers

A turkey vest needs to be hunted.  Unless the Walls vests hold value like a Bob Dixon, hunt it if you like it.

But then, I'm not one to have many things just as collectibles.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Bwhntr68

As far as holding value I'm sure it's nowhere near the level of a Dixon vest. For me just finding one makes it valuable, I started for looking for gear in this kind of camo 3 years ago and in those 3 years I've only seen one other vest in this pattern. Valuable? Probably not. Hard to find? Definitely. I just like the old stuff better I guess! Definitely leaning towards hunting it at least a couple times this season

Tom007

ChesterCopperpot

Hunt hell out of it! I still think Trebark is the best pattern ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

Personally, everything I buy is with the intent to hunt it. That's just me though.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Sir-diealot

I collect a lot of things that never get used or see the outside of my safes, clothes are not one of them. I tend to search out Levi's 540 jeans, not that they are with much but they are the most comfortable jeans I've ever worn. I have one turkey call that's not really what I'd call call it's one of Constantine's remakes and that's just the aesthetic call that I collect it'll never see the woods. If you collect it get yourself one of those nice Jersey picture frames put it in that that way it stays mint.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Bwhntr68

I think this old vest is goin to see it's first season of use. Going to have to dial back the amount of gear I bring to fit comfortably but that works for me! The last 3 turkeys have all been struck and called in with my wingbone anyway. Now if only a guy could find some shirts or a hat in this pattern...

jhoward11

Return it. Better vests to hunt with and no reason to hang it if you don't have special memories with it. Just an old tree barker vest. Humbug...I know.

Bwhntr68

Quote from: jhoward11 on December 06, 2023, 11:51:19 AM
Return it. Better vests to hunt with and no reason to hang it if you don't have special memories with it. Just an old tree barker vest. Humbug...I know.
Nah. Why go and buy or use a vest with 30 pockets that will never be filled? All those nifty little features are just attention grabbers 90% of the time anyway. There's better guns to hunt with but I'll be using my 870 and H&R til I can't anymore. Different strokes for different folks but this vest is stayin with me

Paulmyr

Hang it per your wife's instructions. Than you have an excuse to buy another one to hunt in if you can find one.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

mcw3734

If it's going to be a comfortable, functional vest for you in the field, then definitely hunt with it. And not just special occasions, use it all the time. Part of the magic with with pieces like this, or any of our gear, is the history we build with it. Start your history with that vest this spring.