OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Minimalist Turkey Vests

Started by turkeykiller22, November 29, 2023, 09:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainhunter1

Quote from: limb_hanger on December 06, 2023, 11:09:09 AM
Pictured below is how a striker or striker tube would be situated on the vest. It is held securely and within easy reach I will add.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

That will work for me as well. I will pick one of those up. I can still run the Glenda Green as well, but I think this vest would get taken to the woods a lot either way. Thanks again limb_hanger.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Yoder409

No disrespect to anyone, because there are a lot of good ideas in this thread.  But, as opinions are like "you-know-whats" .......  Here's mine :

There is no vest or satchel that can really be considered a "minimalist approach".  My small belt pack is more "minimalistic" by a large margin than ANY vest or satchel out there.  Yet, still.......even IT is not as minimalistic as wearing a pair of 6-pocket "cargo" pants.

That being said......... I probably carry fewer things into the turkey woods than 95%+ of other turkey hunters.

Individual definitions of "a minimalist approach" will likely vary quite widely.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Ranger

Yall have reminded me, I have a Glenda Green Minimalist size in OG Bottomland I need to sell.  Is anyone currently looking for one? 
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Fillmoregandt

Quote from: Fillmoregandt on December 06, 2023, 12:58:54 PM
Found an amazing deal yesterday on a Nomad Pursuit Convertible vest, so will find out how I like it later this week hopefully.  Will update the thread

If this doesn't work, I may go the satchel route, but my only hand up is the seat.  I'm sure I could clip a seat to a pouch but then it starts to clutter everything up (at least in my head).

Have an ALps Impact that I don't hate, but hoping this new Nomad does it for me

Update: I've tried on the Nomad pursuit Convertible and loaded it with a few things.  Overall I'm fairly happy with it, and think that it will be a good vest for the future. If the season started tomorrow, I'd wear it.

A few pros/cons:

Pro: i like the seat;  good storage (or at least enough for what I needed); fairly lightweight; good storage while still being a "minimalist" vest

Con: the shoulder straps are a little bulky (not bad bulky but enough for me to call out); the pockets along the waist are to the side of the vest rather than in front (digging into the pockets can be difficult because I've got to move the bulky shoulder strap out of the way to turn around)

Overall not bad, and will definitely be in use this spring.  Especially as I wear it more around the house and get comfortable with the layout

Tom007

Good luck with it, hope it works out for you.......

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Fillmoregandt on December 08, 2023, 04:35:41 PM
Quote from: Fillmoregandt on December 06, 2023, 12:58:54 PM
Found an amazing deal yesterday on a Nomad Pursuit Convertible vest, so will find out how I like it later this week hopefully.  Will update the thread

If this doesn't work, I may go the satchel route, but my only hand up is the seat.  I'm sure I could clip a seat to a pouch but then it starts to clutter everything up (at least in my head).

Have an ALps Impact that I don't hate, but hoping this new Nomad does it for me

Update: I've tried on the Nomad pursuit Convertible and loaded it with a few things.  Overall I'm fairly happy with it, and think that it will be a good vest for the future. If the season started tomorrow, I'd wear it.

A few pros/cons:

Pro: i like the seat;  good storage (or at least enough for what I needed); fairly lightweight; good storage while still being a "minimalist" vest

Con: the shoulder straps are a little bulky (not bad bulky but enough for me to call out); the pockets along the waist are to the side of the vest rather than in front (digging into the pockets can be difficult because I've got to move the bulky shoulder strap out of the way to turn around)

Overall not bad, and will definitely be in use this spring.  Especially as I wear it more around the house and get comfortable with the layout
. I do like the look of that Nomad convertible.  I will check several options at the NWTF convention.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

longbow2240

'24 turkey season will be my 4th season using Ms Glenda's minimalist satchel. Couldn't be more than satisfied with. Best decision I've made Turkey hunting and deer hunting as well. Perfect for my needs, quality is as top notch as you are going to find. I Carry the cushion she makes as well and new to this season is a shotgun sling I had her make for me. Used it so far this deer season and couldn't be more pleased with how it carries my rifle.
My days with the hot, bulky and heavy turkey vest are over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro