turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Minimalist Turkey Vests

Started by turkeykiller22, November 29, 2023, 09:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dtrkyman

I have been using an RNG 200 for the past 5 or so seasons, great vest.

Got a Sitka recently so haven't used it yet but like the layout and for all day mountain hunts I can carry a little more than the RNG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

Chest pouch... Alaskan Guide Denali, and a Glenda Green butt cushion. If I can't stick it in there I don't need it.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Tail Feathers

Sam, some of us have to put it on our backs to balance out the weight of our bellys.  :TooFunny:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

davisd9

Ran the Sitka vest this year and it was perfect. First it was not cheaply made. When I paid the cost, though pricey, you felt you were getting your money's worth. Did not have extra pockets for the sake of pockets. Had a good organization to it. The vest is not hot. I plan to purchase a backup.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Will also add the seat is very comfortable but when moving not a bother. For longer walks you pull it up tight. It loosens quickly and if making a minor move you can just flip it. Thankfully it does not fall down like magnet style seats and slap you in the lags as you move or you have to constantly put it back up.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Tom007

Quote from: davisd9 on December 02, 2023, 11:52:06 AM
Will also add the seat is very comfortable but when moving not a bother. For longer walks you pull it up tight. It loosens quickly and if making a minor move you can just flip it. Thankfully it does not fall down like magnet style seats and slap you in the lags as you move or you have to constantly put it back up.

Agree 100% on the seat. It appears to be thin material, but it holds its form better than most other seats and is very comfortable. It definitely stays out of your way with ease....well thought out for sure

mountainhunter1

Quote from: limb_hanger on November 30, 2023, 01:00:31 PM
I have tried so many different things over the years (many mentioned) and used to carry so many things when I was younger and now have taken more of a minimalist approach since I know what I need and works.

With that being said - I have been using the slumber jack pursuit vest and like it a lot (similar to the knight and hale). I had Glenda green make me a seat and some call pouches I could clip to the molle straps. It's not perfect and not for everyone but works very well for my needs and is incredibly light and stays tight to my body and everything is easily accessible which are huge things for me.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Thanks for pointing out that the slumber jack is out there. Had not seen that set up before now. I may have to pick one of those up. Been using a GG satchel and an Ole Tom Essentials vest for a while and use either depending on weather and temperature. But it looks like you could get that slumber jack so close to the body and almost not even know it is there - especially at a little over a pound. One question that maybe you can help with - are you able to carry your strikers in the SJ vest? Pockets look great, but wonder if they are long enough to accommodate strikers. I would probably attach a yoder box call holder or trumpet holder on that attachment on the off left shoulder, but was not sure about strikers and knew you probably could offer some input. May pick one of those up either way as the SJ would be doable for deer scouting in warmer weather in the fall as well. Thanks for your input.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Happy

For me, I just need 1 pot call holder, 1 striker holder, shell loops, and a few pockets for snacks and odds and ends. 90% of my hunting is done with a diaphragm call and yelper of some sort. A back compartment is nice for storing clothes if the day starts to heat up.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

fmf

Quote from: davisd9 on December 02, 2023, 11:25:09 AM
Ran the Sitka vest this year and it was perfect. First it was not cheaply made. When I paid the cost, though pricey, you felt you were getting your money's worth. Did not have extra pockets for the sake of pockets. Had a good organization to it. The vest is not hot. I plan to purchase a backup.

This is one that I expected to send back when I bought it but it turned out to be a fantastic vest. I love it.  The only thing sitka that I own

btodd00

hopefully this means Grounded is exploring a minimalist option?

the run n gun 200 has been great for the most part. I have had to back track several times to find pots that fell out of the chest pockets (especially 3 1/2" pots)

have tried several options for a chest pack (hs strut, knight and hale 100, bino pack) I love the concept just never found one that I liked. Nomad has a modular one that I have been thinking of setting up

nomad pursuit while ive never hunted does check most of the boxes for me, they made a few in mossy oak green leaf and I have been trying to get one for awhile. The thermacell pocket on nomad vests are a great feature imo. Hunters in the south dont get many days you can hunt without a thermacell, its nice to be able to sit down and it can still be operating in its storage pocket

limb_hanger

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on December 04, 2023, 08:59:01 AM
I have tried so many different things over the years (many mentioned) and used to carry so many things when I was younger and now have taken more of a minimalist approach since I know what I need and works.

With that being said - I have been using the slumber jack pursuit vest and like it a lot (similar to the knight and hale). I had Glenda green make me a seat and some call pouches I could clip to the molle straps. It's not perfect and not for everyone but works very well for my needs and is incredibly light and stays tight to my body and everything is easily accessible which are huge things for me.

Thanks for pointing out that the slumber jack is out there. Had not seen that set up before now. I may have to pick one of those up. Been using a GG satchel and an Ole Tom Essentials vest for a while and use either depending on weather and temperature. But it looks like you could get that slumber jack so close to the body and almost not even know it is there - especially at a little over a pound. One question that maybe you can help with - are you able to carry your strikers in the SJ vest? Pockets look great, but wonder if they are long enough to accommodate strikers. I would probably attach a yoder box call holder or trumpet holder on that attachment on the off left shoulder, but was not sure about strikers and knew you probably could offer some input. May pick one of those up either way as the SJ would be doable for deer scouting in warmer weather in the fall as well. Thanks for your input.
On the top compartments there are hidden spaces behind the pocket to tuck in the loose tag ends but I actually use that to nestle in my striker if I am using one. It holds very well and you can actually fit one of JLH's plastic tubes if you want complete moisture control.

And yes you are 100 percent correct the vest fits so close to you that it is almost undetectable and it weighs next to nothing. Another benefit is if you are the mobile type you can easily shift around, crawl, sneak and not have stuff flying around on your shoulder like a satchel.

It works really well for a minimalist archery setup too.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: limb_hanger on December 05, 2023, 09:26:34 AM

On the top compartments there are hidden spaces behind the pocket to tuck in the loose tag ends but I actually use that to nestle in my striker if I am using one. It holds very well and you can actually fit one of JLH's plastic tubes if you want complete moisture control.

I think you probably have already answered what I am fixing to ask, but good strikers are hard to come by and I hate to lose one - so my question, "Is that space for tucking loose tag ends secure in the sense that you are not going to be losing strikers in the woods?" I assume your answer is yes based on your last response, but I am pretty OCD on my favorite stuff and hate to lose stuff in the woods. But if that is a secure location, even if I could only carry one striker at the time, that would work.

One last question - I noticed you had gotten the Master - Mrs. Glenda to make you some additional call holders to attach to the vest. I have her seat and usually carry it attached to my pants belt with a Caribiner. Curious what she built you to attach to the vest because I have more than once got her to duplicate what she had already made for someone else. My biggest wonder is attaching a box call. I was thinking that I could use a yoder leather holster and attach it to the clip on the shoulder strap on my off hand shoulder to be out of the way when I shoulder my gun. But I am always open to better ideas. Once again, really appreciate the feedback, and if that striker is going to be secure in that area we are talking about, I am sold and I will for certain order one for sure before spring turkey season. Thanks again brother - much appreciated.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

limb_hanger

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on December 06, 2023, 10:45:08 AM
Quote from: limb_hanger on December 05, 2023, 09:26:34 AM

I think you probably have already answered what I am fixing to ask, but good strikers are hard to come by and I hate to lose one - so my question, "Is that space for tucking loose tag ends secure in the sense that you are not going to be losing strikers in the woods?" I assume your answer is yes based on your last response, but I am pretty OCD on my favorite stuff and hate to lose stuff in the woods. But if that is a secure location, even if I could only carry one striker at the time, that would work.

One last question - I noticed you had gotten the Master - Mrs. Glenda to make you some additional call holders to attach to the vest. I have her seat and usually carry it attached to my pants belt with a Caribiner. Curious what she built you to attach to the vest because I have more than once got her to duplicate what she had already made for someone else. My biggest wonder is attaching a box call. I was thinking that I could use a yoder leather holster and attach it to the clip on the shoulder strap on my off hand shoulder to be out of the way when I shoulder my gun. But I am always open to better ideas. Once again, really appreciate the feedback, and if that striker is going to be secure in that area we are talking about, I am sold and I will for certain order one for sure before spring turkey season. Thanks again brother - much appreciated.
The cushion from Glenda is just her standard one with tubular webbing that you can attach to the molle panel on the side of the vest with a carabineer. If I had to do it over again I would probably would have had her sewn a tubular webbing belt to the seat to wear tightly to my waist but the current setup works well.

As far as the box call pouches - my only request was no Velcro for the closure and a soft padded lining. It holds the calls very securely with no wiggle and is lighter than a leather one. I would suggest clipping it on the shoulder straps so it's within easy reach while walking and also if you fall you should be able to protect it

limb_hanger

Pictured below is how a striker or striker tube would be situated on the vest. It is held securely and within easy reach I will add.

Fillmoregandt

Found an amazing deal yesterday on a Nomad Pursuit Convertible vest, so will find out how I like it later this week hopefully.  Will update the thread

If this doesn't work, I may go the satchel route, but my only hand up is the seat.  I'm sure I could clip a seat to a pouch but then it starts to clutter everything up (at least in my head).

Have an ALps Impact that I don't hate, but hoping this new Nomad does it for me