turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Minimalist Turkey Vests

Started by turkeykiller22, November 29, 2023, 09:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeykiller22

What features are a must have on a minimalist turkey vest? Are there any vests on the market that y'all really like? If so what makes them better than the next?
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

Nathan_Wiles

The knight &hale 300 is awful close to perfect for me.
But if I could build one:
One box call, one pot call, 2 locators, 3 strikers, a good removable water bottle holder, a spot for trimmers, and backpack style storage for a rain jacket, tp, snacks, and ability to put in a water bladder, an awesome seat cushion ...all in MO greenleaf.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Tom007

Popular topic.....It all depends on your particular definition of a minimalist vest. We all have probably tried every vest on the market throughout the years. My definition of a minimal vest is the following: Lightweight, comfortable seat (that stays out of your way when moving), spacious box call pocket, pot call pocket, striker pocket, shell loops, face mask/glove pocket with mouth call holder and comfortable shoulder straps. There are many of them out there. The ones that seem to be mentioned often are the Alps Long Spur, Knight & Hale RNG models are just a few. The best vest that I found that I consider "minimalist" and use often when I plan on moving is the Sitka Equinox Vest. I do not carry a lot of calls when I hunt. It fits the bill perfectly for me, having most the options I mentioned above. Sitka gear is high quality stuff, takes a beating in the field. The vest is pricey, it happens to be on sale right now at Midway. All vests, whether they are minimal or capable of carrying a ton of things is a personal choice, everyone's hunting style is different. The "pursuit" of the Ultimate Turkey Vest has and will continue to be an evolving target in our industry for years to come for sure....

Greg Massey

See some people like vests, and some people don't ... I'm a satchel guy myself ... Glenda Green ....

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on November 30, 2023, 08:54:23 AM
See some people like vests, and some people don't ... I'm a satchel guy myself ... Glenda Green ....

Best non-vest option out there for sure. Her gear is top-notch, high quality stuff. Great person to deal with too.....

limb_hanger

I have tried so many different things over the years (many mentioned) and used to carry so many things when I was younger and now have taken more of a minimalist approach since I know what I need and works.

With that being said - I have been using the slumber jack pursuit vest and like it a lot (similar to the knight and hale). I had Glenda green make me a seat and some call pouches I could clip to the molle straps. It's not perfect and not for everyone but works very well for my needs and is incredibly light and stays tight to my body and everything is easily accessible which are huge things for me.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Tom007

Quote from: limb_hanger on November 30, 2023, 01:00:31 PM
I have tried so many different things over the years (many mentioned) and used to carry so many things when I was younger and now have taken more of a minimalist approach since I know what I need and works.

With that being said - I have been using the slumber jack pursuit vest and like it a lot (similar to the knight and hale). I had Glenda green make me a seat and some call pouches I could clip to the molle straps. It's not perfect and not for everyone but works very well for my needs and is incredibly light and stays tight to my body and everything is easily accessible which are huge things for me.

Sounds real good. If you can, post a pic of your set-up....thanks for sharing

limb_hanger

Here you go...I attach the seat to the molle straps on the side with a carabineer. I switch out between a long box and short box depending on my mood or to switch out sounds on a particular hard hunted stubborn bird. I use the neck strap with the carabineer to carry the box call so it rides along my chest and if I fall I won't smash the call if on my belt. Along with that I carry a scratch box or two and a push button (Shannon's or Mike Lapp's) and place that in the kangaroo pouch of the leafy jacket. Very rarely do I use or carry pot calls. If I do it's for soft / tree calls so either a single slate or a friction wood is what I would tote. I do not use mouth calls, trumpets , or anything else. Took me many years to find our what I like and what the birds like. Shannon's call has been hard on the birds the last few years and most of the time it is my go to.  The cluck to me is the most underrated call and most effective and more audible call I hear then anything else in the woods these days.

Tom007

Quote from: limb_hanger on November 30, 2023, 02:17:28 PM
Here you go...I attach the seat to the molle straps on the side with a carabineer. I switch out between a long box and short box depending on my mood or to switch out sounds on a particular hard hunted stubborn bird. I use the neck strap with the carabineer to carry the box call so it rides along my chest and if I fall I won't smash the call if on my belt. Along with that I carry a scratch box or two and a push button (Shannon's or Mike Lapp's) and place that in the kangaroo pouch of the leafy jacket. Very rarely do I use or carry pot calls. If I do it's for soft / tree calls so either a single slate or a friction wood is what I would tote. I do not use mouth calls, trumpets , or anything else. Took me many years to find our what I like and what the birds like. Shannon's call has been hard on the birds the last few years and most of the time it is my go to.  The cluck to me is the most underrated call and most effective and more audible call I hear then anything else in the woods these days.

Nice job! Well thought out. I too mainly hunt with the same push-pins. Your dead on with the cluck on Shannon's, to me, no cluck sounds like it. They do it all for me, I always carry two of his.......good luck this season.....

limb_hanger

Birds eat it up...good luck to you too this upcoming season.

Tail Feathers

I'm very interested in one, and will probably try one this spring.   I do not doubt her work quality one bit.  But putting all the weight on one shoulder as opposed to spreading it out with a vest doesn't sound great to me.  Still studying on the problem of vest vs. no vest.  All the options have drawbacks and all have their strong points.  I will do a lot of comparing at the NWTF convention in February.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Tom007

Quote from: Tail Feathers on November 30, 2023, 05:10:59 PM
I'm very interested in one, and will probably try one this spring.   I do not doubt her work quality one bit.  But putting all the weight on one shoulder as opposed to spreading it out with a vest doesn't sound great to me.  Still studying on the problem of vest vs. no vest.  All the options have drawbacks and all have their strong points.  I will do a lot of comparing at the NWTF convention in February.

That was my only problem with the satchels, weight on one shoulder. As a lefty, my gun also is carried on my left shoulder along with the satchel it was cumbersome for me....Some guys do love them however. There really doesn't seem to be the perfect answer, that's why there are so many options out there...

joynerthomas03

Quote from: turkeykiller22 on November 29, 2023, 09:59:46 PM
What features are a must have on a minimalist turkey vest? Are there any vests on the market that y'all really like? If so what makes them better than the next?

Tom007

Two other options that I use is a "customized" Cabelas 1/2 Vest with their Speed seat. This is very minimal, but very efficient. It has a larger back pocket that holds license, flashlight, turkey-tote etc with padded back rest, 2 water bottle type pockets that carry push-pins, strikers, tube calls, crow calls, etc. Also has 2 zippered pockets that can hold shells, pot calls, gloves, mask, etc. I added an additional pot call pocket and suspenders. I use this late season when it gets warm. Also pictured is a "Yoder409" double push-pin leather holster that also can carry long or short boxes. There is lambs wool type material inside proving great protection for your calls. Yoder409 is a member on here who makes killer custom leather holsters for pretty much any type turkey call. His work is well crafted, and he is a great guy to deal with.

The 2nd option is a real simple/minimalist set-up. It has 2 "Molle" pouches that I add to my belt. I carry a stadium cushion with this set-up. This is minimalist, and is a good vest alternative. I'll use this set-up on rainy/wet days so I can have this under my rain gear keeping everything dry. This works real well.....

Canadian

I own 3 knight and hale vests because i like them so much, and they arent made anymore. The past 3 years ive ran the rng200, but this past off season i acquired an rng300 that im excited to try!

I dont carry pots anymore, or box calls. I use the box call holster to carry my turkey strap/tote, and i put my pruners in the striker pocket behind the pot pockets. I have a thermacel holster that clips onto the mole straps on the side. The rest of my gear; mouth yelpers, trumpet, *toilet paper*, thermacel reloads, shells, headlamp, hoot'n stick, water bladder, and phone are spread out across the pockets. Im excited to try the RNG300 because of its extra pack space that i can carry my rain gear in, and use it to carry clothing that i shed as the day gets hotter. To be honest, i dont need more pocket space up front, so im also considering on combining one of my RNG200s with my RNG300. RNG300 pack, with RNG200 straps. As seen in the pic, i could easily swap them out for a hybrid. RNG250?

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk