OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Populations In Northern,New Jersey Rebounding Some.

Started by quavers59, November 25, 2023, 11:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

The Turkey Population  seems to be increasing some in north New Jersey.  I think the recent Black Bear Hunt will help out as well. They are everywhere. They pry open a Dumpster and their Raccoon Brothers are soon on the Scene to reap some benefits.
    I am thinking that Black Bears with that Sensitive  Nose of theirs find their share of Turkey Nests. 10 Eggs would be just a Snack. Raccoons  probably  find more then their share of Turkey Nests.
   Still,I called up a Flock of 12+ members with my Halloran Long Box this past October 28th and picked out a Jake. 12lbs he went.
  Hopefully alot more Gobbling this Spring .

bbcoach

Maybe if DNR would do away with your Fall season, more hens and jakes would live to help increase the population.  We are our own worst enemies.  Just saying.

quavers59

bbcoach,I don't know how to quote on this site.
  So why is It that South Eastern States with no Fall Turkey Season still have Turkey Populations that are tanking lower compared to States that do have a Conservative  Fall Turkey Season?
    You would think that a State with no Fall Turkey Season would have Turkey Populations that would rise rapidly. But that is not want ,I am reading in different  areas and watching videos on Utube that has to do with Declining Turkey Populations.
   Up North here in New York and New Jersey- very few are interested in Fall Turkeys unless one appears below their Deer Stand and gets arrowed.

Tom007

I live and hunt in New Jersey. I can say from many years/hours in the field that the population in the Northern zones are way down in recent years.  There are many reasons I'm sure, but they are down. I wish in person checking stations would come back. This is one of the "non-biological" reasons IMO that we have seen a decline. Hopefully nature takes care of itself and we see a rebound, time will tell.

Bowguy

North jersey numbers are still very low. Saying one little area is got some is off,  especially in the fall/winter. You tend to find bigger flocks with other areas completely void.
Now the fall hunt ending might help some, protecting hens as well. So would limiting the number of tags springtime. Who needs more than a couple birds when we want to do what's best for resource? Being tagged out might give guys an idea to mentor a kid to one.
I ain't never seen a bear go after a turkey or nest and don't think it's a big issue. bobcat, fox, coyotes, birds of prey, etc would take way more than a bear. Other states have responded to the drop NJ is ridiculous in their non response. Same for deer. It'd be easy to make positive changes if wildlife management was the objective.
I agree we are our own worst enemy by taking some when we shouldn't just because the state said we can 

quavers59

Bowguy + Tom007. It is quite possible that all 3 of us hunt different areas of Sussex County,Passaic County, and into Bergen County in North,NJ. I Know where Bowguy Hunts as he has been on a few different  sites years back.
      Without a doubt Wild Turkeys are migrating  and moving South from 45,000+ area- Harriman State Park in New York. Just North of the New Jersey Border.
     No Hunting in Harriman State Park. That is a huge acreage for Turkeys to Thrive and that is exactly what is happening.
    As far as the Spring Quota of Gobblers. There should be a Limit. 3 would be more then enough for Spring Gobblers in New Jersey. And Corn Baiting for Deer should be outlawed.
   I understand  in areas of Western Sussex County- Turkeys are not doing as well.  Down in Rockland County on the Palisades Highway- Flocks of Turkeys are often seen. And Rockland County,NY connects to New Jersey.
    Since,I live in New York and Hunt New Jersey as well- my prospective  of what,I am seeing might differ from others in different  areas of North New Jersey..

Tom007

Quote from: quavers59 on November 28, 2023, 01:53:13 AM
Bowguy + Tom007. It is quite possible that all 3 of us hunt different areas of Sussex County,Passaic County, and into Bergen County in North,NJ. I Know where Bowguy Hunts as he has been on a few different  sites years back.
      Without a doubt Wild Turkeys are migrating  and moving South from 45,000+ area- Harriman State Park in New York. Just North of the New Jersey Border.
     No Hunting in Harriman State Park. That is a huge acreage for Turkeys to Thrive and that is exactly what is happening.
    As far as the Spring Quota of Gobblers. There should be a Limit. 3 would be more then enough for Spring Gobblers in New Jersey. And Corn Baiting for Deer should be outlawed.
   I understand  in areas of Western Sussex County- Turkeys are not doing as well.  Down in Rockland County on the Palisades Highway- Flocks of Turkeys are often seen. And Rockland County,NY connects to New Jersey.
    Since,I live in New York and Hunt New Jersey as well- my prospective  of what,I am seeing might differ from others in different  areas of North New Jersey..

100% correct. There are pockets/areas that seem to be coming back, basically Bowguy and I talk about this a bit, we both agree it just is not what it used to be for sure.....