turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

For my Son, Rossi or Stevens

Started by fadetoblack188, November 22, 2023, 05:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fadetoblack188

looking for a 410 for my 8 year old.  will be his first season turkey hunting.. I see the two most popular are the rossi tuffy and the steven 301...

the steven seems more popular but the rossi seems to have a removable section to make it smaller if they kids are smaller.

what are your thoughts?  anyone have either have any input?

davisd9

If the Rossi can be made compact go with it. I have the Steven's and bought a compact to switch the stock to fit my son. If using TSS either will do fine. I suggest the Apex Ninja 9.5s. Good luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Sir-diealot

Not to be a jerk but if possible take the kid to a local gun shop and let him shoulder each and find out which is more comfortable for him. Not saying you're doing this, but I've seen people go by guns for their kids based on what happens to be popular and it winds up being totally the wrong fit for the kid. It's just best to let them shoulder run and find out what they're comfortable with not what you're comfortable with, so long as the safety features and quality are built into the gun of course.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

fadetoblack188

i want to take him to the gun shop but i was suprising him for christmas.

fadetoblack188

i am reading the rossi has somewhat of a cheap feel to it..

i could just cut an inch off the stock of the stevens if needed.

Greg Massey

My suggestion is don't buy either one of those mentioned in the post and get him a SA 410 tactical .... he's 8 now and before you know it, he will be 13 ... You can still shoot the SA 410 as a single shot until you feel confident with him shooting the gun as he grows ...

SumToy

Step to a 20ga auto if it is in your range and thank me later.   :z-twocents:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

fadetoblack188

well that would be mine he could use then, i use a 20 g affinity compact. iys kicks like a mule with 3 inch tss lol

Sir-diealot

Quote from: fadetoblack188 on November 22, 2023, 07:21:32 PM
i want to take him to the gun shop but i was suprising him for christmas.
Maybe a gift card for gun of his choice to your favorite gun shop would be an idea? I have not bought a firearm in years, I do not know if they let you exchange them or not so please understand I am coming from trying to save you a headache in the future, truly not trying to be a jerk and I am sorry if I am coming off as so.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

RiverBuck

I bought my son the Rossi tuffy before last season. He loves it. He was 6 years old at the time and killed a trophy longbeard last season with the stock full choke and verdict tss. The shotgun fits him great. I had him rest the shotgun on a Vanguard shooting stick that has 3 fold out legs.

Muzzy61

I bought my grandson the stevens 410. He's eight he killed a bird on his first hunt at about 30 yards.
I added a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot and Federal #9 tss. It's a sweet little gun.

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Kygobblergetter

I'm not sure you can go wrong here. I've owned both and liked both. For what it's worth I still have the Rossi but the deciding factor was just that it is so light weight and I don't mind beating it up. Both shoot good with tss and both are ready for optics. I really think you will be happy either way you go. My wife shoots a tristar viper .410 and it is wicked deadly as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btodd00

I have both, I prefer the Stevens

The Rossi would be better for a smaller kid because you can remove the section of stock. It feels lighter than the Stevens but it feels cheaper also. The button to open the action is going to be a little stiff for a small kid

The Stevens has piled up some turkeys, (actually have 2) and is a great gun that has took a beating. zero complaints about it but it has no adjustment in the stock which is why I purchased a Rossi for my younger son

Another option not mentioned is the CVA scout, this gun is built better than the Rossi and Stevens in my opinion (I have never shot one). It feels like a solid gun but is more money

gehring$17

I bought the Rossi in 20 gauge this off-season after using my buddies last spring and I love it. I put a bushnell red dot on it and shoot the apex ninja #8. I've heard the .410 can sometimes be stiff when trying to open the barrel. However, I have had no problems with the 20 gauge, but it may be a little much for a younger kid since it may kick a lot. Personally, I do not think the kick is that bad, but I am 23 and not 8 lol.