turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Raccoon disease outbreak?

Started by Kygobblergetter, November 20, 2023, 07:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kygobblergetter

Has anyone else noticed a shortage of coons this year? We are getting basically none on camera this year and usually get 8-10 at times at each camera. Assuming some type of disease has taken them out? This is north central ky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highball

Overrun with them in South Carolina.4-6 new ones every day on the roads dead.

Brinkcalls

This is the first year in quite a few that I've actually had them on camera fairly regularly. As much of a detriment as they are. I do like seeing them. They're a neat critter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crghss

In PA once raccoon population got to high disease would take a lot out. Same with rabbits. 
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

310 gauge

Eastern N.C. driving through the County would see 8 to 10 daily. Most were kits and never just singles, but 2 or 3 together.

Badger

When checking camera's on property and lease in Ohio.  There are raccoons everywhere.  We have a open ended small bark and there footprints on our equipment.  I see plenty in PA as well.

eggshell

It's a cycle that raccoon go through. Mother nature has a build in control. Once they get too dense, distemper usually breaks out and kills off a large number of them. Don't get your hopes too high they will be back. They are survivors and resilient creatures.

Kylongspur88

I haven't seen as many roadkill coons lately. I'm not loosing sleep over it. I agree with the above post that it's cyclical and these distemper outbreaks sweep through every so often and the population gets knocked down for a little while but it will come back.

JeffC

I have them on cameras until coyotes do their pass thru, don't always get coyotes on camera but we hear them, we have some large raccoons, would like to see the fight between coyote and raccoon.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Prohunter3509

It's not noticeable around here I always try to put a few up in the freezer
What we don't cook 8n the winter

Sir-diealot

Haven't had any in the traps yet this year in New York.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Just a quick thought with all the mast in the woods that are keeping the deer and everything from coming out they might be keeping the Coon deeper in the woods as well that may be why you're not seeing them. I mean we have seen barely any wildlife this year and acorn are down all over the place.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Kylongspur88

Quote from: Sir-diealot on November 21, 2023, 12:10:30 PM
Just a quick thought with all the mast in the woods that are keeping the deer and everything from coming out they might be keeping the Coon deeper in the woods as well that may be why you're not seeing them. I mean we have seen barely any wildlife this year and acorn are down all over the place.

That's a good point. There's a massive red oak drop and decent white oak drop in my part of Kentucky this year. That's where everything from deer to bear are so it makes sense coons are in there to

Hook hanger

I ????  for a distemper out break!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Hook hanger on November 22, 2023, 05:28:51 AM
I ????  for a distemper out break!
Not sure what you mean? Sorry, not up in the whole emoji meaning thing.

John Koenig: