turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A Reminder

Started by Neill_Prater, November 12, 2023, 06:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill_Prater

Our grandson was deer hunting at Truman Lake with several of his buddies this weekend. He shot a doe this morning and started down in his climber when it somehow broke, don't have all the details yet. No safety harness, he fell and suffered compound fractures of both legs.

Fortunately his phone fell with him so he was able to call for help. They flew him to Kansas City where he is waiting to have surgery.

Guys, use a safety harness, check your tree stands, and be careful.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Happy

Really sorry to hear that. I hope he has a smooth recovery.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Tom007

Prayers for a speedy recovery.........

eggshell

Man that's a really tough injury. In all parts of hunting we need to have safety foremost in our mminds. Pray he recovers well. Many falls result in spinal injuries, wear those  harnesses guys.

Sir-diealot

Man prayers for him, I know how leg injuries can be all too well. I post a thing every year on Facebook about safety harnesses for all my friends too, so thank you very much for the reminder. I wish it were under better circumstances.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

310 gauge

Praying for complete recovery!

Tail Feathers

Prayers for complete healing and a fast recovery for your grandson.
I no longer hunt from heights.  I personally know two guys who are paralyzed from tree stand falls.  One the tree broke and one the stand broke.  I'm too old to climb comfortably and i no longer bounce if I fall. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Sir-diealot

Any updates on how he is doing?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Neill_Prater

Yes, thanks for asking and for all the thoughts and prayers.

He fell about 20 feet, breaking the tibia and fibula in both legs, the left being a compound fracture. They had to wait until yesterday to do surgery due to swelling, and put surgical nails in, I think, both legs, but for sure one. I had to look that up, they're rods that go inside the long bones with attachment pins at the ends.

He's in lots of pain, but they got him up for a while today, and think he can probably get released possibly Monday.

Horrible to think about, but still very lucky. It could have been much worse. Luckily his cell phone fell within reach, so he was able to call his friends, one of whom was a police officer, so he had first responder training.

eddie234

Prayers to your grandson, as an old guy I'm tied off from top to bottom. Always have a lifeline

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Muzzy61

Prayers for a full and speedy recovery.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Neill_Prater on November 15, 2023, 07:05:55 PM
Yes, thanks for asking and for all the thoughts and prayers.

He fell about 20 feet, breaking the tibia and fibula in both legs, the left being a compound fracture. They had to wait until yesterday to do surgery due to swelling, and put surgical nails in, I think, both legs, but for sure one. I had to look that up, they're rods that go inside the long bones with attachment pins at the ends.

He's in lots of pain, but they got him up for a while today, and think he can probably get released possibly Monday.

Horrible to think about, but still very lucky. It could have been much worse. Luckily his cell phone fell within reach, so he was able to call his friends, one of whom was a police officer, so he had first responder training.

You're welcome and you're welcome. I know that fracture very well as well as the procedure, when I had my car accident in 88 I had the Tib/Fib fracture of my right leg (It was not a compound fracture though) and I have the rod as well, as a matter of fact I was one of the first people in the country to get it I was told as it was new back then. I had the surgery January 11 1989 and the reason I remember is that it was my nineteenth birthday and the only present I got for that birthday!

It will take time but it is not bad once it heals. They do it slightly differently now, they do not go as high up into the knee with the rod now like they did when I got mine so unlike me he will be able to kneel which is great!

His phone and the friend were a Godsend for sure. I am glad to hear he did not break the femurs, I hear tell they are the most painful ones to break in the body as they are the largest and can send a person into convulsions as the muscles expand and contract after the break and I was really hoping for his sake that was not the case.

Was there any damage to the knees at all?

John Koenig:

GregGwaltney

My son had this injury & surgery (Tibia & Fibula compound fractured) 4 months ago, he went back to work at month 3, and you would not know he had anything happen to him. No pain, limp, etc...Hope your grandson heals quickly, the first month or so is not fun, there is plenty of pain and he won't be able to do anything on his own.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

zelmo1

Prayers out to this young man, and his family. One second can be a life changer. Speedy recovery Z