turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What are the best snake gaiters?

Started by Canadian, October 22, 2023, 08:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian

So, as northerners, snake boots and gaiters aren't really something utilized. However, as I start to spend more and more time in the south, I've decided to inquire about them. I was planning on trying a pair of snake boots out, but honestly would rather just stick with my high end hikers. I've grown partial to the physical benefits of top of the line hikers. Even at the age of 28, with healthy knees, I can tell the difference between a $200 hiker, and $400 hiker as soon as I slip them on. Our bodies are priceless, and can't see how snake boots could carry the hiking qualities and capabilities of the hikers I use. So, I'm wanting some opinions from you guys. I would consider getting snake boots for specific terrain where snakes are at a higher threat, such as Texas and Florida, and then stick with my hikers for everything else.  Or do you think I should just get some snake gaiters? Or do some of you think neither? As a Canadian, it's probably in my own best interest to avoid US hospitals at all costs, and take the extra precautions. Again, just wanting as many opinions as possible. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

I been messing with snake boots the last couple years. I bought a pair of Irish Setter Vapor treks with the BOA lacing system as a 1st pair. I didn't want too break the bank, I was just looking to see what they were all about. Mostly I wanted them for waterproofing because rubber boots put pressure on an old injury to the top of the arch on my foot. The only time it ever bothers me is if I wear rubber boots and I'm not standing or walking around. It gets extremely painful when I'm sitting against a tree or riding in the truck.

Anyhow, I really like how comfortable the vapor treks are. They are a dream to walk in. Super light, like wearing a pair of sneakers in the woods. Great ankle support for hilly and rugged terrain. Problem I had was the waterproofing didn't last very long. I used them last year with waterproof socks with success until I poked holes in the socks from thorns getting into my boots. Makes me wonder if that's not what happened to the liners on the vapor treks.

They get pretty warm on days when the temperature gets summer like. One of the reasons I like the BOA lacing system. Just pop the knob and the top of the boots open up to air out. I do this when I pull up a tree and sit for a while. When it's time to go a few twists of the knob and the boots are tight again.

Looking this coming season to get another pair but will try the Rocky's because I can't find any others with the BOA system. Thinking of small gators over the top of the boot to keep the thorns out as I tuck my pants into the boot to keep the ticks on thier last legs from crawling up the permethrin treated boot and getting a bite in before they die.

I'm also gonna be careful with the boot dryer as I've read heat damages the waterproof membranes used in some clothing. Found this out researching waterproof socks as you can't put them in the clothes dryer and use a heat cycle.

A little long winded but that's my limited experience with Snake boots. Good luck with which ever route you go.

Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

RLAG

I got turtle skins for my Florida hunt last year. The zippers are finicky when they get dirty and the material crinkles a little but they weigh almost nothing. Thankfully I didn't have to find out just how snake proof they are. I liked wearing them over my muck boots so that I had waterproofing and snake proofing(which it doesn't sound like most "waterproof" snake boots stay waterproof very long according to accounts I've read from others). I was just rolling the dice it wouldn't pop me on the ankle or foot where the rubber wasn't covered. One of the guys on here did a YouTube review video of the mods he did on his pair

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

derricksamuel321

Quote from: RLAG on October 22, 2023, 10:48:58 PM
I got turtle skins for my Florida hunt last year. The zippers are finicky when they get dirty and the material crinkles a little but they weigh almost nothing. Thankfully I didn't have to find out just how snake proof they are. I liked wearing them over my muck boots so that I had waterproofing and snake proofing(which it doesn't sound like most "waterproof" snake boots stay waterproof very long according to accounts I've read from others). I was just rolling the dice it wouldn't pop me on the ankle or foot where the rubber wasn't covered. One of the guys on here did a YouTube review video of the mods he did on his pair

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
Fact

Sent from my TECNO BD4h using Tapatalk

Canadian

Are regular hikers thick enough and enough protection for the foot area? Just thought of that now... I mean, I'm not ever planning on ever 'needing' the extra protection, but then again, who does? Lol. Also do the turtleskins stay in position on the leg/shin/calf, or are they constantly needing adjustment and pulled up? Thanks for the input fellas.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

Yoder409

I think......in a perfect world......gaiters and quality shoes would be the best solution.  I've considered it.  But, only briefly.  The uppers of few (if any) hikers are rated as "snake-proof".  Shoe leather, in itself, is NOT snake-proof. 

I, also went with the Irish Setter VaprTreks.  Wore a pair of them plumb out.  Bought another pair.  LOVE them !!!!   I pull them on.....lace them up....and forget about toothy critters.   17" high running shoes is what they feel like.  I'm an old fart with rotten knees and a lousy back.  The Irish Setters are no more of a drag on me than my Thorogood hikers.

P.S.  Going way out on a skinny limb........... But if you (or anyone else) wants a pair of Irish Setters (brand new in the box) in size 13 for a decent price........ PM me.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Greg Massey

In my opinion gaiters versus snake boots both have a place. I just figure wearing a good snake boot is less trouble for me. I'm not sure if I had a pair of gaiters I would necessarily use them all the time... So for me I just like having it all built together  ... Snake boots ....

Tail Feathers

I bought some gaiters to go over my non-snake 8" Vaprtrek boots.  I'm like Greg Massey, I haven't worn them.  Crackshot or something like that?  About 11 oz per side, putting my boots at about snake boot weight.  I will make sure I try them this spring, they seem fine around the house.
If I don't like them, I'll try some Vaportrek snake boots.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Yoder409

Quote from: Tail Feathers on October 23, 2023, 06:29:46 PM

Pretty sure the VaprTreks were discontinued.    :(
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

aclawrence

Turtle skins seem to be the only game in town. They are lightweight. You can wear a good quality hiking boot, wear the gaiters if the temperatures are warm enough for snakes, don't wear them when it's cold  and you still have the same good boot that don't leak ummhmm You can let your wife wear the gaiters if she goes out with you. You get to take them off back at the truck instead of having to wearing a big hot snake boot on the way home. I like the gaiters route. Unfortunately there's only one decent option and it benefits from some modifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Yoder409 on October 24, 2023, 05:02:09 PM
Quote from: Tail Feathers on October 23, 2023, 06:29:46 PM

Pretty sure the VaprTreks were discontinued.    :(
With my luck, probably.  :funnyturkey:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!