turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bow hunting

Started by ChiefBubba, October 02, 2023, 08:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiefBubba

Okay guys I've got a 25 yr old Parker and want to upgrade. I hardly ever bow hunt anymore but I think I'll will going forward. What's y'all recommendation? Sub 500 dollars. Bubba

btodd00

I have bought and sold multiple bows on the Archery talk forum, the bow I am currently shooting is a 2019 Hoyt axius that had never even been setup I got for $500. There are tons of bows sold there 2-3 years old that go for 500 and under that look brand new, just have to watch the classifieds

There are also big box setups in that price range but I think you get more value in a 2-3 year old bow from Hoyt, Matthews, bow tech or any of the others

nothing wrong with giving the Parker some new life either. The new bows are going to be faster and quieter but if the Parker still shoots well, a new one won't kill them any deader

Muzzy61

If you are looking for a sub $500 new bow, check out the Bear selections.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

davisd9

I was gifted an old browning bow that shot great. String popped and I bought a cabela's brand Blackout Pursuit. It is a good shooting bow. Hunted with it and it killed just fine. I have since upgraded to a Matthews Triax, but I keep that other bow as a back up. Shot it the other day and biggest difference in the two is draw cycle and noise.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

If I were buying a new bow, I would look at the New Bear Archery Adapt package bow setup for around 500 dollars. It comes as a complete setup. 

Turkeybutt

Kylongspur88

Does the old bow still shoot well?? If so a new string, drop away rest, upgraded arrows and a little tuning might get you back in business. If not I'd look at bear. You can also pick up some nice bows second hand. Just be sure to check the limbs and cams before you actually buy it.

Brinkcalls

Definitely go look at used stuff. There are plenty of top of the line bows that are heavily discounted for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeyman

Quote from: Brinkcalls on October 03, 2023, 10:58:29 AM
Definitely go look at used stuff. There are plenty of top of the line bows that are heavily discounted for that.

Absolutely. Don't buy a new cheapie...it is cheap for a reason. Buy a used bow that was one of the name manufacturer's top of the line a couple years ago.

Sir-diealot

I picked up the PSE stinger 45-55# 29" draw carbon model a couple years ago, it was either just under or barely over five with the trade-in of my old PSE Carrera 70# @ 29" that I couldn't shoot anymore because of three shoulder surgeries. Nice little bow either 34 or 32 in axle to axle think it's like 3 lb if I remember right, if that. Shoots nice and straight I like it.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Old Timer

Steve, Have you considered a crossbow. I`m in the process of applying for my unmodified permit which would permit me to use it all season because of disability. My archery days are all but over.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Old Timer on October 16, 2023, 04:16:52 PM
Steve, Have you considered a crossbow. I`m in the process of applying for my unmodified permit which would permit me to use it all season because of disability. My archery days are all but over.
I just can't do it, I don't view a crossbow as a piece of archery equipment, I see them as guns with strings. Truth be told I would have a harder time with a crossbow than with a bow, I can hold a bow up but can't hold a gun up because of the hand being turned kinda palm up on the forestock, if you talk to a physical therapist they will tell you it is called an impingement, the vertical fist of holding a bow relieves it, it is the pull back and hold that hurts me so much with a bow, especially the hold and the movement that makes it hard to stay on target.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

squidd

I have an older split-limb PSE if you're looking for a good deal; went with a crossbow this year