OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Florida FWC Proposes to Ban Reaping on WMAs

Started by deerhunt1988, September 24, 2023, 11:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerhunt1988

FL-Boss

You have to be suicidal to use a fan on Florida Public..

joey46

Agree - there is a long list of proposals on different subjects.  If things stay as usual most won't be implemented.  I do like the one requiring a turkey permit be purchased prior to applying for the quota hunts.  Be a subtle way to give the resident's a little edge.  At present residents have no edge in the general quota draws.

joeturkey

For information on turkey harvest in Florida contact the Florida state chapter nwtf they will be able to assist you.

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

ChiefBubba

Quote from: FL-Boss on September 24, 2023, 12:11:42 PM
You have to be suicidal to use a fan on Florida Public..

Not a fan or proponent of more regulations I've always been a less is best. But agree you're an idiot to doing this on any public land. But I do like the Darwin rule too. Bubba 

ChiefBubba

Quote from: joey46 on September 24, 2023, 01:01:34 PM
Agree - there is a long list of proposals on different subjects.  If things stay as usual most won't be implemented.  I do like the one requiring a turkey permit be purchased prior to applying for the quota hunts.  Be a subtle way to give the resident's a little edge.  At present residents have no edge in the general quota draws.

I say do away with all quotas all across the board. Open all WMAs 24/7 for all seasons. Would solve a lot of problems. Local working guys would benefit the most. Grab your kid after work and hit the local WMA for a quick night time hunt. Plus it would keep me from traveling across the state to YOUR WMA to hunt. Bubba

silvestris

They didn't go quite far enough.  Reaping (even decoys) should be banned across the board, public and private.  Any type of decoy destroys the gobbler's main defense, i.e. his eyesight.  There is a line that should not be crossed to consider the practice to be fair chase.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Kylongspur88

I think you'll see a push in a lot of places to ban it. At least on state and federal land.

CAPTJJ

How many people even try reaping on public land in Florida? I've never seen anyone try it, doubt this would affect very many people. Another feel good law that does little.

joey46

I haven't seen it either but I'm pretty selective where I go on public land.  The banning of reaping seems to be the new "in thing" in many states.  The way states such as MS, AL and maybe LA are rapidly banning everything they can think of it will be interesting what FL ends up with.  I'm now priced out in many states so reaping is the last of my worries.

FLGobstopper

Quote from: joey46 on September 24, 2023, 01:01:34 PM

I also agree wholeheartedly.

The one thing that hasn't been proposed that I would like to see is actual physical tags to be used and attached to harvested turkeys. Also a mandatory post season reporting of harvested game with detailed information that could be beneficial from a management standpoint. Some states have it in place beyond physical tags that electronic reporting must be done. If someone doesn't fill out the information regardless of type of land they hunt then they cannot purchase a turkey permit until it is done. It doesn't solve all the problems but it sure helps our state wildlife managers have better and more accurate information. Which we have seen and can attest to that even with the new so called turkey reporting system doesn't account for much.

But hey I do also see why some really don't want to trust too much info to the powers that regulate. I get that too and it's a topic for another discussion how hunters are viewed by the ones that we are supposed to be comanagers with and each others greatest allies.

joey46

I think they are so reluctant to disclose the numbers they received from their season wide/state wide reporting system is that it will show how many apparently ignored it.  When they want true harvest numbers they will need physical tags and require everyone to have an actual license even the exempts.  Exempts still the biggest hole in the Florida system.  Florida has a lot of work still to do.  And BTW I'm still waiting on my FOIA request for the 2023 turkey harvest reports.

CAPTJJ

I absolutely agre with the need for physical tags, especially with the high demand and limited availability of Osceolas. Most other states have them, but a few have ones you can buy online and print as many as you want which is great for the poachers.

squidd

Not a good practice and actually walked up on a guy, on a WMA, laying on the ground, holding a fan. Scared the crap out of me when he put the fan down.  I was working a few turkeys on one side of a firebreak and he came in behind me, trying to work the same birds on the other side of the firebreak.  He was unaware I was on the other side, could've been a bad day for either of us!!