Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Florida FWC Proposes Step to Curtail/Capitalize on Non-Resident WMA Hunters

Started by deerhunt1988, September 24, 2023, 11:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joey46

The Meateater episode mentioned just aired .  Unless I missed it the specific WMA was not disclosed.  Most can make educated guesses.  Oh well.

FLTurkHntr

I "voted" no on that.  I don't think jacking up prices is the answer. We have enough inflation these days. NR permits should just be capped like other states do imo.
I wonder how many points Rinella had when he pulled that permit? 

joey46

Yes they should cap the non-resident numbers but that money may be too good for it to happen.  As for Meateater I watched it again and the specific WMA would only be a guess.  Betting it is a two per permit but only per hunter area since his buddy Janis also had a permit which would narrow it down some.  There was never a mention of the 2023 mandatory call in system so it was probably a 2022 or earlier hunt.  The local guy was carrying a Thermocell.  I don't get out of the truck in the pre dawn without one.  Good luck.

Spurs Up

Quote from: FLTurkHntr on November 12, 2023, 07:15:45 PM
I "voted" no on that.  I don't think jacking up prices is the answer. We have enough inflation these days. NR permits should just be capped like other states do imo.
I wonder how many points Rinella had when he pulled that permit?

I didn't see anything in their proposal about increasing ANY of the prices of permits. The permit prices haven't changed in years, while everything else certainly has.  Instead, it's a proposal to require a permit (that is already required anyway when hunting) when applying.

Like you, I'm okay with capping the number of permits but that apparently isn't on the table. Something needs to be done. For those reasons, I "voted" yes.

Old Gobbler

They are going to do it ...they are in a funding crisis and money talks , and they fully well know how valuable the permits are.  ...don't even get me started on antis getting permits

People have done all kinds of nefarious activities with the permits up to and including all out selling them

The other major loophole is that Florida residents have been applying with just a 26 dollar management stamp and not buying the rest ...underfunding the fwc , and pushing out real hunters
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

FLTurkHntr

Yeah, Florida is not Hunter friendly for a red state imo. Lots of issues. There should be plenty of money for a robust FWC.

joey46

I know I'm repeating myself but the "Exempts" are the biggest hole in the FWC system.  The over 65 resident pays ZERO to hunt, fish or apply for the regular quota hunts.  ZERO and this in a state with a big population way over 65.  That's a political move and nothing more.  Most aren't even counted for matching PR money.  It's a joke to then whine about no money.

joey46

If you didn't apply for Florida spring 2024 quota hunts you missed the boat.  Deadline was 11/30.  Now we sit back and wait to see who got drawn and hope for no glitches.  There were glitches for some Special Op deer draws recently.  Fingers crossed that my 6 preference points were enough.  Results probably out early tomorrow. 

bbcoach

I don't see this as a problem to curtail Nonresidents since many states are already doing this.  My question is to the residents of Florida is, what are these fees going to be used for???  It's all well and good to raise and collect these fees but DNR needs to be accountable to the people of Florida and ONLY use these fees to keep and restore the Osceola Turkey population.  Has DNR given an answer to this question or have the Resident Hunters ask for specifics??? 

Spurs Up

Quote from: bbcoach on December 03, 2023, 07:30:24 AM
I don't see this as a problem to curtail Nonresidents since many states are already doing this.  My question is to the residents of Florida is, what are these fees going to be used for???  It's all well and good to raise and collect these fees but DNR needs to be accountable to the people of Florida and ONLY use these fees to keep and restore the Osceola Turkey population.  Has DNR given an answer to this question or have the Resident Hunters ask for specifics???

Hopefully more of the same type of habitat work... This is good use of permit money, in my opinion.

https://myfwc.com/media/30017/2021-22wildturkeypermitreport.pdf

btodd00

alot of good info in that report

"FLNWTF contributed $65,500"

That was something that stuck out to me, that number is alot lower than I expected it to be

squidd

Nice report!

NWTF used to support a few southern WMAs so I supported; not so much now.

joey46

Quote from: joey46 on December 03, 2023, 07:09:31 AM
If you didn't apply for Florida spring 2024 quota hunts you missed the boat.  Deadline was 11/30.  Now we sit back and wait to see who got drawn and hope for no glitches.  There were glitches for some Special Op deer draws recently.  Fingers crossed that my 6 preference points were enough.  Results probably out early tomorrow.

Results just posted.  I did get the hunt I wanted.  The 6 preference points were enough.  Whew!

squidd

joey46

Quote from: squidd on December 06, 2023, 07:15:06 PM
Swing and a miss with 0 points
Good luck in the future.  Between myself and my buddy (when drawn we go as each other's guest and the other banks his points) we figure one good draw every four years minimum.  I drew in 2017, he drew in 2022, I drew for 2024 with the 6 points built from 2017.  Hope everyone is noticing the results of Grand Slam Fever.  It is a very frustrating game at times especially for the residents who get no edge in these type drawings.