turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Florida FWC Proposes Step to Curtail/Capitalize on Non-Resident WMA Hunters

Started by deerhunt1988, September 24, 2023, 11:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerhunt1988

One thing Florida FWC does that I really like is sends out e-mails/surveys where you can comment on proposed changes. I'm going through them now here is one of the items proposed:

Currently, a non-resident only needs a ~$27 WMA permit to apply for quota hunts. If this regulation passes, NR would need an additional $125 turkey permit each year just to apply! So NR would be looking at $150 each year to apply for WMA quotas. WOW! Seeing as a lot of quota hunts now take 2-3+ points to draw, a NR could easily be looking at $500 in fees to hunt their desired area.

Their draw system needs modifications, but I don't think this is the best route to start pricing out turkey hunters. They could simply put a cap on the amount of NR drawn per hunt. But that isn't going to make them as much money as this proposal would.

As many of us on here have been saying for years, the mass commercialization and exploitation of our public land resources is slowly turning wild turkey hunting into western big game hunting. I'd really like to see a proposal to prohibit commercial filming on Florida's WMAs. I can only imagine the extra interest in south Florida turkey hunting after the Meateater episode filmed down there on a WMA this past spring hits the air. One YouTube channel already did substantial damage, and there seems to be no end in sight.

For those of you who wish to comment on Florida's proposed rules, go to this link:

https://www.research.net/r/2024-25-FWC-Proposed-Rules

joey46

See reply above on same topic.

btw - I'm still waiting on my FOIA request for the totals from the 2023 spring Florida turkey season on ALL WMAs.

joeturkey

For assistance on turkey harvest in Florida contact the Florida state chapter nwtf they will help you.

joeturkey

WV Flopper

I have 0 problems with that. Except....they will have to do this for all WMA and public, otherwise we all know what will happen to those.

They have the only Osceola turkey in the country, come and pay for it on public ground.

The question is to me, what will this do to lease prices if anything.

joey46

They have turkey harvest totals for all 67 counties and all 139 WMAs in the state since they implemented the mandatory check in system in the fall of 2022.  They have the same for the mandatory checking of deer.  The entire list of deer taken on all WMAs is posted on a thread on Floridaoutdoorforums.com.  Why is this information so hard to obtain for turkeys?  A guy on this forum has already mentioned he requested both deer and turkey harvest numbers but has only received deer.  I don't believe they can legally ignore a FOIA request forever.  Try as they may. Multiple states have mandatory check in systems.  I haven't found any that hide their results and  not have them posted on their web sites.

Tail Feathers

I go to FL most years.  I feel for the FL resident turkey hunters.  This doesn't upset me, FL will probably become more restrictive in coming years.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

joey46

Quotas will be the wave of the future.  Might go hand and hand in with the requirement to first buy a permit prior to application.  Be interesting.

sasquatch1

With the urban expansion in Florida and elsewhere, we one day may wish we'd have paid more if those lands get developed and lost. It does however seem a little expensive for a turkey but...

Buying, keeping, and managing public properties isn't cheap. The cost of the average wma permit is along the lines of thievery for what if provides us access too. Sadly that won't be realized until it's one day gone.

Nathan, and idea of what kind of money that would equate to yearly for the state? Anyone know how many NR been applying to do the math?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

joey46

That info availability probably requires a FOIA request.  Over the years people have obtained the numbers that apply for various quota hunts.  Whether they are broken down as resident or non-res I don't know.  Under the current system it would not make any difference.

slicksbeagles1

That's sad news! Now the outfitters will really jack up their already outrageous hunting prices. Unless I hit the lottery I will probably never go back.

joey46

There is a big difference between proposed and done.  Wait and see how the politicians react.  They love the non-res money. 
For so many the Florida Osceola is a one and done (I PM a few guys every year).  After getting that part of a slam they are satisfied and don't return anyway. This may not make as much difference as many think.  If it takes four years and five hundred dollars to draw a hunt so be it.   It would cost me close to that to hunt a few southern states now under some of these new restrictions and money grabs being implemented to discourage the non-res throughout the south.  For the record I am a FL resident and have 7 preference points built up and may not draw the area I want this spring.  Thinking two or three preference points will get you a "can't miss" Florida WMA is a pipe dream.  The Osceola may become as hard to draw as a Big Horn Sheep.  A once in a lifetime experience. 

Spurs Up

Seems shrewd to me. This is a good start at controlling Osceola public land craziness. Should satisfy residents by giving them an edge and stands to generate more money (who knows, maybe for tags and habitat work). I'll pay it and maybe have a chance at going back sooner. Hope they do more.

Crghss

I don't like tit-for-tat but it cost $500 just for non-res licenses in GA. So seems like a small price to pay considering most states fees.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Crghss on October 17, 2023, 07:39:13 PM
I don't like tit-for-tat but it cost $500 just for non-res licenses in GA. So seems like a small price to pay considering most states fees.

Georgia definitely needs to revamp their quota hunt system. I'm sitting on like 8 turkey points as a non-resident since its free to apply. Even collecting deer points now, because why not? It is free!