Main Menu

Florida FWC Proposes Step to Curtail/Capitalize on Non-Resident WMA Hunters

Started by deerhunt1988, September 24, 2023, 11:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btodd00

Quote from: joey46 on December 07, 2023, 05:18:54 AM
Quote from: squidd on December 06, 2023, 07:15:06 PM
Swing and a miss with 0 points
Good luck in the future.  Between myself and my buddy (when drawn we go as each other's guest and the other banks his points) we figure one good draw every four years minimum.  I drew in 2017, he drew in 2022, I drew for 2024 with the 6 points built from 2017.  Hope everyone is noticing the results of Grand Slam Fever.  It is a very frustrating game at times especially for the residents who get no edge in these type drawings.

When the subject came up earlier this year on how to do a records request, I requested the applicants for the special opportunity hunts. I was blown away by the amount of out of state people pouring money into that system for only 10% of the permits. I was even more blown away by seeing the same names (locals) putting up piles of money on every single wma, especially knowing one of them sells Osceola hunts. Makes we wonder how long it will be before more of our WMA's are in the special opportunity system

joey46

With Special Op Permits being transferrable there will always be shenanigans with that system.  It is obviously why you see outfitters trying to draw them.  There have always been rumors that a S O permit for some areas can bring big $$$.  Even the current general quota system has it's flaws with many "guiding", unofficially of course (LOL), with their guest permits.  There is big money involved in the Osceola.  Too bad.

deerhunt1988

Hope everyone is noticing the results of Grand Slam Fever.  It is a very frustrating game at times especially for the residents who get no edge in these type drawings.

Not just grand slam fever. I've been tracking draw data for a long time. Just so happens non-resident applications to south zone WMAs started to sky rocket when those WMAs started being pimped out on YouTube. Drastic difference in NR applicants once we entered the YouTube/social media era. One particular south zone WMA saw non-resident apps increase 8x from 2018 to 2021. The increase was 230% for all south zone WMAs combined.

At this point it is like modern day market hunting. Pimping out public lands and killing wildlife for profit.

joey46

I often read comments on other forums whining that FWC severely limits hunter numbers with the current quota system.  With the information you received with your FOIA request maybe they don't limit them enough for some areas.  Be interesting how this all shakes out over the next few seasons. 

Spurs Up

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on December 07, 2023, 07:52:00 PM
  Hope everyone is noticing the results of Grand Slam Fever.  It is a very frustrating game at times especially for the residents who get no edge in these type drawings.

Not just grand slam fever. I've been tracking draw data for a long time. Just so happens non-resident applications to south zone WMAs started to sky rocket when those WMAs started being pimped out on YouTube. Drastic difference in NR applicants once we entered the YouTube/social media era. One particular south zone WMA saw non-resident apps increase 8x from 2018 to 2021. The increase was 230% for all south zone WMAs combined.

At this point it is like modern day market hunting. Pimping out public lands and killing wildlife for profit.

Dwindling supply in a what's basically free market economy has a way of doing that. There might be a few things to slow it down but it's foolish to expect the trend will reverse.