turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A little box call love.....

Started by Yoder409, September 13, 2023, 12:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

What do you get when you give a Gibson Award winner a piece of wood ??

I handed off some 8/4" Pennsylvania sweet cherry I had cut and air dried to Neal Impson (Roughneck Calls) out of Georgia, early this year.  He paired the cherry with a granadillo paddle.  What I got back is a whole flock of hens (at least 6 different ones) in an AMAZINGLY crafted box call. This thing is ALL turkey, all day long !!   And the workmanship is top notch.

I don't shout too many people out.  But if you're looking for a great box call to hunt and have something from a national award winner to hand down.....give this gentleman a holler Neal goes by "Roughneck" here on the forums if you wanna shoot him a PM).  His boxes are the real deal !!!

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Greg Massey

Very nice, cherry does make a fine call... congrats

zelmo1

Beautiful call brother, lucky man. Z

packmule

Yoder409

Quote from: Greg Massey on September 13, 2023, 12:21:08 PM
Very nice, cherry does make a fine call... congrats

Thanks, Greg.

I've got other boxes made with regular old wild cherry.  But his is the first box I've ever personally seen done with sweet cherry.  When I had it sawed and got a look at the grain, I knew I wanted a call from it.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Tail Feathers

Very nice craftsmanship on that call.  The finish is outstanding, as is the wood work.  It's a beauty!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

paboxcall

Wow, Yoder. That's a sweet onee for sure!

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

3bailey3

Spring Creek Calls

That one caught my eye in Neal's recent post, great wood combination. 
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Yoder409

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on September 13, 2023, 09:37:36 PM
That one caught my eye in Neal's recent post, great wood combination.

It'll catch your ear too !!

It's a 1-percenter !!!
PA elitist since 1979

JeffC

Beautiful call, good luck with it Don, please remember to post up another picture of call in a few years after the Cherry starts to darken.. Love the look of Cherry, still in the process of remodeling the kitchen with some PA Cherry!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Yoder409

Quote from: JeffC on September 14, 2023, 07:55:13 AM
Beautiful call, good luck with it Don, please remember to post up another picture of call in a few years after the Cherry starts to darken.. Love the look of Cherry, still in the process of remodeling the kitchen with some PA Cherry!

Awesome woodwork, Jeff !!!

But what you have there is what's commonly called "wild cherry" or "black cherry" (Prunus serotina).  Big demand hardwood for floors, trim, cabinetry and high-end furniture.  The Impson call is "sweet cherry" (Prunus avium).  It's a wild-growing version of the trees that produce your grocery store variety of cherries.
PA elitist since 1979

Turkeybutt

Sweet call Yoday, I like it. I think you should let me field test it for you. I'll shoot you my address!

Yoder409

Stop by.   You can test that one out and a couple other ones I have. 
PA elitist since 1979

gaswamp