OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pack pistols for bowhunting?

Started by Jc69, September 12, 2023, 11:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

Quote from: joey46 on September 13, 2023, 10:34:24 AM
Anyone considering bear spray? When I went to Wyoming in 2022 it was common in most retail stores. Don't think I've ever seen for sale here in Florida where protected trash eating black bears can be a problem..  As for a gun I have a SW 4506 that I can load to nine max.  It's loaded now with home defense loads but not certain they would be ideal for a big bear.  They do work on hogs although a lung shot isn't an instant kill.  Interesting dilemma.
Also consider one of those small handheld boat horns that every Walmart carries.  If that blast doesn't scare the bear he will at least be deaf. Lol.
Y'all know how to identify bear scat? It has pieces of air horn plastic in it and smells like cayenne peppers.
Could help myself. I heard a joke along those lines years ago.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

WV Flopper

Some great vids on the "Hated You Tube" about pistols and bear spray. You guys should watch. Everyone should watch.

When bears are going to attack you, your screwed. Otherwise, your shooting at a bear that is intimidating you.

Tail Feathers

If you are not an experienced handgunner Inwould recommend .40 cal for black bear.  Unless you have a lot of real big bear that should be a good choice for penetration that isn't too much recoil for a handgun "sometimer". 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

joey46

All joking aside I may be turkey hunting next spring in an area of PA where black bears are common.  My wife's cousins lose a few bird feeders every year to some neighborhood black bears in the Poconos.  I always guessed that carrying a few deer slugs would be decent bear insurance if really necessary.  Opinions?  I would be flying up so trying to get both my turkey gun and a .45 pistol to PA may be too big of a hassle and I really don't want to bother with a pistol. The gun will be a .410 but I did find some deer slugs for it and they are surprisingly accurate. If it ever cools down I'll try a Florida hog test. These PA bears are hunted and have a supposed fear of man.  Our Florida bears aren't hunted and will go through your pockets looking for spare change.  LOL.

BTW - what state Jc69?

joey46

This would make for an exciting turkey hunt.  Just noticed the picture does not show if not logged in.  Don't remember that being a concern on this forum before.  Anyway picture (took three resizing's - grr) from the Denver Bass Pro.  Bear spray conveniently located in a nearby display.  Never saw the air horns.

Bowguy

Agreed, .22 to protect you from rabbits and squirrels. Anything else you'd better have more. My problem is sweat on the gun early season. But chances of encountering what you've encountered are slim. Now that Glock thing!!! Great paper weights! Honestly if you go 10mm and aren't a pistol guy you may have probs with it. Get yourself a SW .357. Learn to shoot it using .38 special. Then when you're ready to shoot mags you can prob switch to the 10mm or better yet stay with a real/wheel gun but I'd advise again being you're unfamiliar, a metal gun like a 1911 might be easier to shoot. Yes heavier to carry but a gun you can't shoot isn't any good at all and almost everyone unless taught properly and carefully had a flinching stage early on. Go right to the 10mm especially if it's a light Glock, God forbid, and see what happens.

roberthyman14

I carry a pistol all the time.  Especially bow season.  Mainly for meth monkeys. Other also know is archery season so most aint carrying a gun.  Easier to get robbed then.    .40 Springfield xd sub

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

joey46

Quote from: roberthyman14 on September 18, 2023, 08:00:55 PM
I carry a pistol all the time.  Especially bow season.  Mainly for meth monkeys. Other also know is archery season so most aint carrying a gun.  Easier to get robbed then.    .40 Springfield xd sub

Just curious?  What state? 

roberthyman14

Quote from: joey46 on September 19, 2023, 07:14:47 AM
Quote from: roberthyman14 on September 18, 2023, 08:00:55 PM

Just curious?  What state?
Florida

BDeal

I have a S and W 29 Classic in 44 mag but it's just too heavy to carry so I typically carry an M and P 45. Going to upgrade to an M and P 10MM

g8rvet

I too carry my M and P 45, the recoil is very easy  in the decent frame with good grips.  I have a 357 6" Ruger Security Special, but my son has it.  If I wanted bear protection, that should be ideal.  There are bear everywhere I hunt in North Florida, I am much more comfortable with my M&P shooting a combat grip and practice quite a bit, so that is what I carry.  I just feel like I can more quickly put more shots on target with it.  I'll post a pic from my phone in a minute.  This is 150 yards from my house.
This is a big boar. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Kylongspur88

I carry a pistol but it's for meth heads more than anything. We have bears but they're not a concern. Studies show that when carrying a pistol for bear defense the number of shots on target are what really counts. Imo any spicy +p round from 9mm and up is fine for black bear defense inside the ranges you'll be shooting at. For brown bears 10mm is where it's at. If .22 is your only option go with the bear spray. It works fine too

kayl

10mm is what you probably want for bears. That said, if they're of limited concern in your area you could consider one of the 9mm penetrator loads from Underwood. Better than nothing

Yoder409

Just last week......checking trail cams.  Ran into a sow and 3 year-old cubs.  So, + or -  600 to 700 lbs of bear in 4 easy installments.  They behaved.  But, I was in a place no one would hear you yell.  Very, VERY comforting to have 11 rounds of 10mm under my finger and another 10 rounds in my back pocket.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

davisd9

I do not have much concerns with bears where I hunt but it could happen as they are around yet scarce. I carried a pistol regularly on another piece of property even with my rifle as the place was eat up with hogs. Down on the inlaw's farm I did not carry anything but whatever I was hunting with. We are possibly seeing hog sign so I have started carrying my pistol again. I carry a 40 S&W when I carry a pistol. It is either a Glock 23 or a Smith and Wesson Sigma. I feel if I am going to carry it best be something that I can depend on regardless of the situation. I have not carried it yet, but I have my dad's Smith and Wesson 686 357 mag I may tote some as well.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer