OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pack pistols for bowhunting?

Started by Jc69, September 12, 2023, 11:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jc69

I've bowhunted for 40 years and never needed a pistol until last year, hopefully I'll never need one again, but I won't hunt a tent groundblind without one.  I was in my blind with nothing but a compound bow and pocket knife when a black bear cub stuck it's head in the back door and nipped the back of my elbow, another cub stuck it's head in the side window and the momma bear then heard me screaming and cussing and ran up on the blind, in a blind spot where I couldn't see it but could hear it brushiing and growling against the side. She finally ran out 5 yards in front of me and turned, didn't know if she was going to charge or leave so I slung an arrow(wasn't planning on shooting a sow with cubs but didn't have a choice and it was legal bear archery season) anyway, slung an arrow, hit the side of blind and cleanly missed her and luckily the arrow hitting the tree scared her away........anyway that's why I am getting into pistols.
  Not an issue during turkey season when you have a gun, but with a bow only what would you pack?
  Would you consider just a .22 pistol where you could scare stuff away and use it for small game hunting, or would you consider a large caliber where you could stop a bear, but overkill for small game?  I was thinking toward a ruger single 6 .22 for small game and hopefully scaring a bear, or maybe a larger caliber that wouldn't have any use for small game, but could possibly get into white tail deer hunting with a pistol(legal) here?

slicksbeagles1

If I was worried about a bear it would definitely be a pistol caliber that could take it down.
Way take a chance shooting a pea shooter and pissing the bear off them what?

Gobbler428

I would suggest a long barrel 44mag if I wanted to deer hunt and take care of a charging bear,  I have hunted deer for 25 years with a Smith and Wesson model 29 with an 8 3/8 barrel.  You can scare the bear with either the 22 or the 44 mag but the 22 will not stop a charging bear. I've never bear hunted with mine but have killed many deer with it,

Happy

Check your regs. We can pack a pistol while bowhunting because of bears. However, it has to have a barrel length of less than 4" and be carried in sight (unless you have a concealed carry permit.) I used to carry a 45 cal but now just pack my concealed carry gun which is a 9mm. With some hard cast bullets, I feel ok with it, but it is definitely on the light side.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Farmboy27

#1. You still didn't need a pistol,  if she wanted you, she had you! 
#2. Hastily slinging an arrow was probably the worst possible thing to do! Lucky it turned out ok.
#3. If you're truly worried about bear, then nothing short of a central nervous system shot with an adequate caliber will save you from a true change and close range. Think 10mm auto and go up!
#4. Very few people can fire a handgun well enough under extreme stress to be effective. And most game wardens will tell you that if it's self defense, you almost better have bear slobber on yourself!  Shooting one standing a few yards away that's trying to figure out what you are isn't going to fly!!

Brinkcalls

When I worked on kodiak island. I carried a Glock 10mm. I went everywhere. Up mountains, down in the rivers and had a lot of confidence in it. Never had to use it. But I seen a bunch of bears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

We have blackies here that can go 700+ pounds.  The folks that tell you "they're more afraid of you than you are of them" don't know s**t.  A 600 pound boar black bear isn't scared of ANYTHING unless he's living in grizzly country.

I carry a Glock 10mm ANY time I'm in the woods or working the Christmas tree farm.  I've seen it too many times............. I have too many friends who've seen it.

As far as having bear slobber on me before I intervene in the situation...........  No.  Combat distance (21 feet) or less and I will start running the trigger.   I'm not interested in putting any sport in a malevolent bear encounter.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

RutnNStrutn

Years ago I had several run ins with black bears while bow hunting in Florida. Some of the boars were 500+ pounds. And you never want to piss off mama. It wasn't legal back then to carry a sidearm, but it is now if you have a CWP.
If I had the experience you did, and I've dealt with mama and cubs, I'd be toting a hog leg. Better safe than sorry, or dead.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

A 10mm would be a good start, why is everyone so hesitant to shoot a bear that is threatening them, double lung that sow and be done with it!

Hunting deer I assume in a ground blind?  I would tote your turkey gun with some T sized TSS handloads!

joey46

Anyone considering bear spray? When I went to Wyoming in 2022 it was common in most retail stores. Don't think I've ever seen for sale here in Florida where protected trash eating black bears can be a problem..  As for a gun I have a SW 4506 that I can load to nine max.  It's loaded now with home defense loads but not certain they would be ideal for a big bear.  They do work on hogs although a lung shot isn't an instant kill.  Interesting dilemma.
Also consider one of those small handheld boat horns that every Walmart carries.  If that blast doesn't scare the bear he will at least be deaf. Lol.

Greg Massey

In my area, I never had to worry about bears and such, but I always carried a firearm with me while bow hunting, just in case I fall or something I could hopefully signal someone for help if needed.  Also, in the woods you never know who or what you might run into... animal / drug people ... etc ... IMO ...

ChiefBubba

Unless not permitted by law I always have a pistol. 9MM, 45, 357, sometimes a 22 revolver while turkey hunting. A few years ago while turkey hunting with an outfitter I tagged out first hunt so I tagged along on the other hunts and felt naked not carry a gun. Being here in Florida could come across a hog or Yote just about anywhere. Bubba

Marc

Quote from: Happy on September 12, 2023, 01:37:31 PM
Check your regs. We can pack a pistol while bowhunting because of bears. However, it has to have a barrel length of less than 4" and be carried in sight (unless you have a concealed carry permit.) I used to carry a 45 cal but now just pack my concealed carry gun which is a 9mm. With some hard cast bullets, I feel ok with it, but it is definitely on the light side.
Yes...  Check the regs.

In California I believe you are NOT allowed to carry any firearm while (actually) bowhunting (at least during archery season or archery only tags).

Me...  I would probably go with a 10 mm glock were I to carry for people/critters in CA...  Know a few fishing guides that carry them (In Montana), and they are compact enough to carry, and have the potential to cause tissue damage/Penetration...  Were I in Alaska, salmon fishing around lots of grizzleys, I would go with a short shotgun or .454.

In CA, my concerns would be black bears and mountain lions....  I believe a 10 mm would be adequate...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Crghss

I'd pack bar spray before I'd try to scare a bear with small caliber pistol.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Marc

Quote from: Crghss on September 13, 2023, 06:26:22 PM
I'd pack bar spray before I'd try to scare a bear with small caliber pistol.

Yes...  Bear spray before a .22 cal...

But I would rather have a 10 mm than bear spray (at least in CA).

In Grizz country, I would probably carry both (at least whilst fishing).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.