turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bearded hen question?

Started by RutnNStrutn, September 01, 2023, 01:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougas

I have killed two toms with multiple beards, one with a split beard and two bearded hens off of the same property. There was two bearded hens hanging out there this last spring.

GobbleNut

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on September 02, 2023, 02:38:44 AM
Quote from: Cut N Run on September 01, 2023, 10:26:56 PM
I've got  25% bearded hens around my place.  I can't tell any impact it has on gobblers, as the only gobblers I've seen here are single bearded birds.  I've never killed a multi-bearded bird in my life & have only called in two double bearded gobblers for friends to kill in over 30 years.  There was a big 5 bearded gobbler killed a few miles up the road the year before last, but that's the only other one I've heard of from right around here.

Interesting question that I've wondered about myself.  Seems like there has to be a genetic link between the two.

Jim
Agreed. There would seem to be a correlation, yet I haven't seen it. I too have yet to harvest a multi-bearded gobbler. Still it would seem that the genetics would produce them.

Same observation around these parts, as well.  Bearded hens are somewhat common, but multi-bearded gobblers are so rare as to be essentially nonexistent.  Genetics and the combinations thereof in terms of dominant and recessive genes are the major players in most organisms...turkey beards included...

eggshell

I have only seen one bearded hen in 50+ years while hunting in my home state. Yet, I have killed maybe a dozen multiple bearded birds. Most of the multiple bearded gobblers came from the same area. I don't think bearded hens make any more multiple bearded gobblers.
Funny thing, we stayed down at Cumberland Lake the first week of August and I saw 2 bearded hens out of 6 turkeys in a flock. One had to be 10" and heavy.

joeturkey

Here's one I killed with my knight muzzleloader shotgun.

jordanz7935

Bruce Henner??In my area I'd say maybe 10% of hens are bearded. Multi bearded gobblers are pretty rare but not unheard of. Never killed a double beard gobbler or bearded hen, but ive seen alot more bearded hens here than multi bearded gobblers. When somebody gets all excited about even seeing or shooting a bruce henner in the spring... its kind of like telling me your not much of a turkey hunter. But to each there own, I wouldn't be opposed to taking a bearded hen in the fall season.

guesswho

The one area in Alabama where I've seen a lot of bearded hens I've killed gobblers with 1,2,3,4,5,6, and seven beards, all on about 200 acres.   The other property in Georgia, I've killed gobbler with 1,2,3, and 4 beards on about 400 acres.  I'm not sure if there is a connection between bearded hens and multibearded gobblers or not.   For all I know multibearded gobblers may increase the number of bearded hens instead of the other way around.   Or there may be no connection between the two.   Could just be a coincidence on those two places.   I went on a streak a few years ago and killed four multibearded gobblers in a row.   A 2,3 and two 4 bearded gobblers.  And it's been like this for 30 years in these two spots.  Whatever the cause I hope it continues.   It's rare I go a season and don't kill a multibeard and see bearded hens.  Killed two last year.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Dougas

Here is one of the bearded hens I shot. The other one was a "button" beard.

zelmo1

No bearded hens in this one particular area, but a few multi bearded Toms. The first 2 birds my wife ever shot were multi bearded jakes. Odd but they were 2 distinct beards. These first 2 birds were approximately 150 yards apart. I killed a nice triple there the second year, so I believe it is definitely genetics. This with my welding degree in turkeyology,lol. Z

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: guesswho on September 04, 2023, 10:14:33 AM
I'm not sure if there is a connection between bearded hens and multibearded gobblers or not.   For all I know multibearded gobblers may increase the number of bearded hens instead of the other way around.   Or there may be no connection between the two.   Could just be a coincidence
I was hoping that you would chime in Ronnie. I know you kill lots of multi-bearded gobblers, more than anyone I know. I was interested in your opinion, and you definitely have some valid points. :icon_thumright:

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

First and only one that I have ever seen.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

btodd00

ive only seen a couple in Florida in my life and they were on different properties. None in Texas, Oklahoma, Illinois or Georgia

I did however meet a hunter this year that was chasing the "bearded hen slam" I couldn't resist digging into that story as much as I could (he called it a journey not a story). I was showed trail camera pictures of a bearded Merriam hen that an outfitter had been sending him that would round out his slam. He had just gotten his bearded Osceola hen. No word on if he is going for the "bearded hen super slam"....

RutnNStrutn

Bearded hen slam? That's crazy, especially in these days of declining populations. I've only killed one hen ever, and that was with a bow 25 years ago.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Sir-diealot on September 12, 2023, 12:33:18 AM

Steve, I've seen bearded hens in Florida, Georgia, S Carolina, Tennessee and S Dakota.

btodd00

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on September 12, 2023, 11:19:02 PM
Bearded hen slam? That's crazy, especially in these days of declining populations. I've only killed one hen ever, and that was with a bow 25 years ago.

He was quite serious about it, I thought he was messing with me until he started showing me pictures

Sir-diealot

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on September 12, 2023, 11:23:35 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on September 12, 2023, 12:33:18 AM

Steve, I've seen bearded hens in Florida, Georgia, S Carolina, Tennessee and S Dakota.

You have had much more experience than I, I would imagine, losing those 15 years after my car accident took a lot of learning away from me, the only nice part of that is now I'm getting to learn it now that I'm older for some reason I think I appreciate it more and that includes bearded hens.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."