turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Goals

Started by zelmo1, August 21, 2023, 12:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

What are your short and long term goals? hunting, life, anything you can work towards.

I am going to lose 100 pounds by the time I retire, real weight, no divorce please. I have gotten to 52 pounds since May 1st. The next 50 will be a bit harder, but I have 5 years to do it. I like my odds, even though I was a fat kid and grew into a fat man, I need to be healthy for my family. Z

jb1069

What has helped with the weight lose? I too would like to shed some extra pounds.

GobbleNut

I've been retired for a few years now so that milestone has been reached successfully for both me and my wife.  My personal simple goal is (for both of us) to stay healthy for as many more years as I can so I can continue my active outdoor lifestyle as long as I can. Of course, there are also family and friends that take up my life outside of my outdoor interests, as well.

Hunting, fishing, and associated activities around them have always been key components in my life, and fortunately, those pursuits in the amounts that satisfy me are relatively inexpensive pastimes.  I am also fortunate to have several great friends of similar age (early 70's) and interests with which to share my outdoor passions.  We plan outings on a regular basis, both in the short and long term, so there is always something to look forward to either "right around the corner" or looking further into years ahead. 

Like many others here, my main passion is spring gobbler hunting and I always looking ahead at what next year might bring.  Planning those adventures with friends goes a long way towards keeping this old guy going. 

eggshell

Goals, I'm in the same relative age group with gobblenut and goal number one is to wake up in good enough health to do a few things I enjoy.

Goal number two is to remember I am in that age group and although my mind still tells me I can do all those things just like when I was younger is not a realistic paradigm.

Goal number three is to convince the Mrs. ( I mean boss ) she is always the boss and that on the days I want to go fishing or hunting that she is actually granting me permission out of her extreme kindness of her heart and that it was actually her idea.

Goal number four is to hunt with some more of the legends of "Old Gobbler Forum". I think I already done this, but I'm taking their word for their legendary status.

I want to hunt the South West part of the U.S., the only part I have not hunted (other than Hawaii). The boss has already gave permission, we just gotta make it happen. Of course she's coming along to supervise. I just talked to my niece about Utah a couple weeks ago, (unnamed forum legend,  you ready for a Utah hunt? )

Greg Massey

I'm with the others with being retired. Just enjoying life with the wife and both of us having good health to do things we have always wanted to do...

Hopefully i will still have a few more years to chase these gobblers and do a little more deer hunting.

After i retired i stopped having goals ... LOL.

I also enjoy my turkey calls and chatting with like minded people who enjoy turkey hunting..  OG and Friends ....

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on August 21, 2023, 04:40:02 PM
I'm with the others with being retired. Just enjoying life with the wife and both of us having good health to do things we have always wanted to do...

Hopefully i will still have a few more years to chase these gobblers and do a little more deer hunting.

After i retired i stopped having goals ... LOL.

I also enjoy my turkey calls and chatting with like minded people who enjoy turkey hunting..  OG and Friends ....

Amen Greg, right here with you on this. I think I speak for most, maintaining our health is number one goal, everything else will follow suit......Congrats to Z on the weight loss!

Farmboy27

I guess that because I'm up against so many deadlines and goals set by others on the job that I don't really set any personal goals outside of work. That's really something that I need to work on because goals are what push us to improve and succeed. I guess the one that really needs attention and I keep pushing back is quitting smoking.

guesswho

My goal is to have fun, and to help as many kids as I can to have fun also.   And my final goal is when I die, I'd like people to say, you know for a smart azz , he was a pretty good ole dude who always helped in any way he could.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Tail Feathers

Short term, at least three gobblers per season.
Longer term, I need to get in better shape before spring to make all that walking easier.
Even longer term, find out if there is turkey hunting in heaven. :cross2:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Yoder409

Recently retired, here.

Goals ??

Lose some weight.
Hunt spring gobblers to the limit of my budget.
Not get abducted in Mexico this coming March.
More tree time with my bow for whitetails.
Complete some long-standing projects at the house.
Buy another turkey call.
Get my younger son into the turkey woods.
Enjoy what's left of my time here with my family.
Buy another turkey call.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Happy

My goals are pretty simple. Be in the best shape I can be. Be the best son to my mother, the best father to my kids, and the best husband to my wife. Keep working hard and pushing myself. And also to laugh and have fun. With the group of guys I get to work around, I am lucky in that sense. We bust on each other pretty hard, and it makes the day go better. Oh... and be that extremely good-looking, master hunter who slips through the woods like smoke, and next thing you know, there is a critter missing. I may look like Elmer Fudd on crack in reality. But it's my story and I will tell it how I want.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

zelmo1

Happy may be a GOAT, but I think he nailed it, Z

Turkeybutt

My goals are simple.
Be kind and respectful to people I meet.
Practice random acts of kindness to strangers i.e.buy their meal at a restaurant etc.
Help my neighbors.
Laugh at myself.
Be more understanding and accepting of others.
Learn to use a trumpet turkey call.
Get and eat healthier.

PalmettoRon

I'm pushing 70, but have worked out for many years so I can continue to pull hills and mountains in search of gobblers.

My goal is to be jellyheading gobblers even longer than Tom Kelly and Fox Haas. That's a serious goal!

Sir-diealot

I am having surgery on my foot on the 1st so the first goal is to recover well from that and get through physical therapy. I really would like to walk without having to do constant balance checks all the time.

I need to have both my knees replaced I've got a call to get that done in June right after turkey season ends, problem is I'm going to have to stay in the hospital because I live on the second floor so a  goal is not to have one of the nurses murder me, I'm not exactly the easiest patient in the world.

The following June I want to have the right knee done same goals as the first one.

I want to get to be a better outdoorsman than I am, I want to learn more about the wildlife around me while I'm hunting as well as the Flora and everything that's in the woods.

I'd also like to become a better photographer than I currently am.

I'd Like to be a better boyfriend than I am, be a better Master to my dog.

I'd like to be worthy of Christ who died for me but I know I never will be.

Life goals I want to see mountains before I die, maybe take a Merriam's* in them and photograph both.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."