OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Kansas Study

Started by nativeks, August 05, 2023, 10:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerhunt1988

Glad to see NWTF ramping up their research funding. Seems a little competition from another organization may be helping them get back on track.

nativeks

NWTF Kansas has always been pretty active.

Hook hanger

Get ready for a later starting date and shorter season length.

nativeks

Quote from: Hook hanger on August 07, 2023, 10:59:04 PM
So go back to the way it was when we actually had turkeys?

Hook hanger

Quote from: nativeks on August 08, 2023, 07:50:15 AM

Hopefully it helps! It sure was fun shooting  6 gobblers a year in KS when it was good!

nativeks

Quote from: Hook hanger on August 24, 2023, 09:31:30 AM

Hopefully it helps! It sure was fun shooting  6 gobblers a year in KS when it was good!
Its was pretty ridiculous. They seemed almost inexhaustible. Now you hardly see a bird. 1996 to about 2007 for absolutely insane.

zelmo1

We need to get in front of this here. I am yelling but I dont think my reps are listening. I send/fwd as much info and horror stories that I can, but our moose issues are taking over the headlines. Ill keep trying and raising money for local projects. I am hoping to get onto the F&G committee when I retire but my "PC" skills are severely lacking, lol. We all need to do our little part to keep our resource thriving. Z

Kansan

Quote from: nativeks on August 24, 2023, 10:41:40 AM
Quote from: Hook hanger on August 24, 2023, 09:31:30 AM

Its was pretty ridiculous. They seemed almost inexhaustible. Now you hardly see a bird. 1996 to about 2007 for absolutely insane.

We had world class bird numbers in my part of the state (Montgomery / Chautauqua Counties) until 2014 or so, and then a precipitous drop to almost nothing.

In good news, I've been seeing and hearing of more poults this year, than any time since the decline began. They finally had some good nesting conditions. I have a pair of hens coming through the yard most days with around two dozen poults between them. Seeing several other smaller groups of hens and poults as well. I hadn't seen hardly any the past few years, until now.

Very glad to hear of this study. Hopefully it will shed some light on the mystery of our turkey decline.