OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cocobolo

Started by Tarheel, July 29, 2023, 03:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarheel

Years ago, cocobolo was one of my favorite woods for turkey calls.  I worked with cocobolo for years.....then something happened.  My number came up and suddenly cocobolo was enemy #1....but no one told me or warned me beforehand. I had to experience the surprise of the full allergic reaction to understand the severity of what had happened; then I had to figure out which wood caused it.  Then the other rosewoods one by one followed suit until now I have to practice extreme care even handling a rough cut board of cocobolo....or any of the rosewoods.  If a rough cut board has a little wood dust on it, I had better be wearing some kind of glove protection. Yesterday I was talking with the manager of my local Woodcraft store, and he told me cocobolo is no longer on the list of woods available to the stores to stock for sale because of current Cites protections caused by overharvesting of cocobolo in the Amazon. I haven't purchased any cocobolo in years....I'd really be smart to send the cocobolo I have down the road for someone else to use, but it sure does make nice turkey calls. I have 2 pieces of cocobolo I'm trying to see if I can use now to make a couple of turkey calls without sending myself to the hospital.  I guess I'll soon find out......LOL!!!  Regardless, I don't see as many cocobolo turkey calls  ....at least not as many as I use to see.  That's a shame.......

sbbow

Cocobolo is some of the prettiest wood out there imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lcmacd 58

Cocobolo has been a favorite wood of all call makers for some time .... 1 of my 1st high end duck calls was from cocobolo over 50 years ago

mmclain

I only turn cocobolo in the winter. So it doesn't soak in the sweat and enter my skin.  A dust collector helps too.  I have a nice collection of cocobolo cut in the 1940s. The raw pieces were hewn to remove the sapwood with an axe.  I've never seen any with darker colors than this stock.

Sir-diealot

I think the Amazonian tulipwood I love so much is categorized as a rosewood as well, I guess I had better buy what I can find as soon as I can.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Yoder409

Be careful, brother !!!!

There's another call maker that you and I both know that got pretty well de-railed by a cocobolo reaction not too very long ago.

Use as many protective precautions as
you can.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

doublespurs21

once you get a reaction from coco bolo , it gets worse  , every time you are in contect with it, sooner or later it will cause a major problem.

there other kind of wood besides rosewoods that also causes trouble

Tarheel

Quote from: doublespurs21 on July 30, 2023, 04:10:43 PM
once you get a reaction from coco bolo , it gets worse  , every time you are in contect with it, sooner or later it will cause a major problem.

there other kind of wood besides rosewoods that also causes trouble

Yes,......morado to me is just as bad as cocobolo.

misfire

One of my favorite woods to turn, but getting more expensive to obtain by the day. Thankfully, I have not had a reaction to it yet, HRB on the other hand, lights me up. I look like I came out of a meth lab any time I get around that stuff.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

GobbleGitr

Take care with it Marvin...Matt's advice on only turning in winter when there is no sweating is a great tip. Love a nice call from cocobolo!

Tarheel

Quote from: misfire on July 31, 2023, 07:45:00 AM
One of my favorite woods to turn, but getting more expensive to obtain by the day.

From what I was told the other day, the overharvesting and land clearing in the Amazon basin along with the updated Cites listing pretty much guarantees cocobolo will only be imported in extremely limited quantities for the foreseeable future. 

Meleagris gallopavo

Need to look no further than Cocobolo for one of the best call woods for performance and looks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.