OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How Good Are You

Started by Turkeybutt, July 09, 2023, 04:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeybutt

Post something old, unique and lets see who knows what it is, what it was used for and who made it.
Here's the first one.

Turkeybutt

87 people looked at this and not one took a guess as to what it is and or who made it.
It is a Harley Davidson rocket engine (LR-64 Rocket Engine) that powered U.S. Navy target drones.
Harley Davidson actually built over 5,000 during a 30 year period beginning in the mid 1960s. The engines were built in the York, Pennsylvania plant.

Tom007

Quote from: Turkeybutt on July 09, 2023, 09:22:55 AM
87 people looked at this and not one took a guess as to what it is and or who made it.
It is a Harley Davidson rocket engine (LR-64 Rocket Engine) that powered U.S. Navy target drones.
Harley Davidson actually built over 5,000 during a 30 year period beginning in the mid 1960s. The engines were built in the York, Pennsylvania plant.

You got us! That was a tough one.......
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

I just came on the forum and saw it and was thinking it had to do with some kind of compulsion. You have to understand we have a lot of lookers who don't want to participate on the forum. Then they complain because they don't have 50 posts, but want to break the rules and try to sell something.

Turkeybutt

I thought it would be fun if people posted photos of old tools or unique items they have laying around the house and see who knew what they were or how they were used. Something to do while we wait for deer and turkey season to roll around.

Brian Fahs

I have worked as a contractor at the Harley Davidson plant in York pa for the past 30 years. The original plant was owned by AMF which manufactured anything from government munitions (bombs) to bowling balls over the years. AMF purchased Harley Davidson in 1969. So if these were manufactured from the mid 60s then AMF was probably building the vast majority of these. I'm not implying Harley Davidson did not make these, but I highly doubt there is the typical Harley badge you find on their bikes on one of these.

Tom007

Here's a couple of things to identify. One is very old, the other is still frequently used today.....
"Solo hunter"

Brian Fahs

Star chisel
Hollow wall lead anchor set tool.

Tom007

Quote from: Brian Fahs on July 09, 2023, 11:33:45 AM
Star chisel

Nice job, do you work in the trades, or have a construction background. Not many people have seen a star chisel.....
"Solo hunter"

Turkeybutt

I knew it was a star chisel but couldn't think of what the other item was.

Turkeybutt

Quote from: Brian Fahs on July 09, 2023, 11:01:05 AM

I have worked as a contractor at the Harley Davidson plant in York pa for the past 30 years. The original plant was owned by AMF which manufactured anything from government munitions (bombs) to bowling balls over the years. AMF purchased Harley Davidson in 1969. So if these were manufactured from the mid 60s then AMF was probably building the vast majority of these. I'm not implying Harley Davidson did not make these, but I highly doubt there is the typical Harley badge you find on their bikes on one of these.
I went out in the garage and took this photo of the badge that is on the top of the rocket engine.

Brian Fahs

Quote from: Tom007 on July 09, 2023, 11:36:02 AM
Star chisel

Nice job, do you work in the trades, or have a construction background. Not many people have seen a star chisel.....

Yes sir.
Union electrician 38 years and counting.
At 59 years of age I'm very familiar with older hand tools........lol

Brian Fahs

Quote from: Turkeybutt on July 09, 2023, 11:39:23 AM
Quote from: Brian Fahs on July 09, 2023, 11:01:05 AM

I went out in the garage and took this photo of the badge that is on the top of the rocket engine.
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Tom007

Quote from: Brian Fahs on July 09, 2023, 11:41:04 AM
Quote from: Tom007 on July 09, 2023, 11:36:02 AM
Star chisel

Yes sir.
Union electrician 38 years and counting.
At 59 years of age I'm very familiar with older hand tools........lol

We share common ground my friend. I retired from Electrical Union after 38 years. Great career, I really enjoyed it. Be safe, enjoy....
"Solo hunter"

Turkeybutt

Okay I know its a gold ring and I took the liberty of photo-shopping out the words that ran around the outside of the ring as it would give it away. I know its over 50 years old or older.
So looking at the ring itself what is it?