OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Other things you do?

Started by Sir-diealot, July 08, 2023, 12:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

So other than hunting what do you enjoy doing? I am not talking about spending time with family or going to church, I mean like your hobbies. Many of you know I am a picture taker (I don't feel I have earned the right to be called a photographer yet) I am a Ham Radio Operator, I collect sports cards (Or did before all the controversy.) and am trying to get some stuff together to start camping again at some level. I would like to hear about and see what you are into other than hunting and fishing.

Two of the French Connection, I still need to get  Rick Martin

This is my Ham Radio HF Rig.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Dtrkyman

Fishing, traveling.  Used to be sports but getting too old for that non sense!

Would love to get into serious off roading, but building a good rig is pricey and time consuming, maybe later in life.

Brian Fahs

Riding my honda 4wheelers or my suzuki  drz400 dual sport bike.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Dtrkyman on July 08, 2023, 04:08:06 PM
Fishing, traveling.  Used to be sports but getting too old for that non sense!

Would love to get into serious off roading, but building a good rig is pricey and time consuming, maybe later in life.
Sounds like fun. I do not know why but this thread posted twice.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Brian Fahs on July 09, 2023, 10:50:05 AM
Riding my honda 4wheelers or my suzuki  drz400 dual sport bike.

Hope to get a 4x4 4wheeler in the next 3 years.

John Koenig:

Big Guy

Gardening. Mostly tomatoes, some peppers, and cucumbers. I love trying new varieties every year. There are so many more varieties to try besides the ones you can get at the big box stores.

Also enjoy reading. Currently reading a non fiction book about the Sackler family, Purdue Pharma, and the OxyContin epidemic. The more I read the more furious I become. Evil, soulless people. All of them.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

jhoward11

Golf. I guess it's the same family as Turkey hunting. In the middle of a field chasing something I'll always be mediocre at. Bang! chase it down...Bang! chase it again. You get it.

BDeal

Deer hunt, walleye fish, and workout.

CAPTJJ

Traditional archery obviously based on my posts. Also fishing is a passion but I hadn't fished much for myself in recent years after guiding for so long 24 years. Now that I'm done guiding and in Alaska for 5 months each year I found that I still like to fish. This year I brought my fly rod and I'm having  a lot of fun, have had it for years but never really used it much.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Big Guy on July 10, 2023, 12:04:58 PM
Gardening. Mostly tomatoes, some peppers, and cucumbers. I love trying new varieties every year. There are so many more varieties to try besides the ones you can get at the big box stores.

Also enjoy reading. Currently reading a non fiction book about the Sackler family, Purdue Pharma, and the OxyContin epidemic. The more I read the more furious I become. Evil, soulless people. All of them.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

I spoke with the new landlord and he said I could have an elevated garden next year. My thought is to get a couple of these from TS and have the Mennonite I drive for build some stands for them. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/red-shed-log-planter-193520799-1

Looking forward to some green peppers, Roma tomatoes, garlic and some spices like Rosemarry, Basil, Oregano and so on. Also some Naga Viper peppers. I have kind of a hatred for the way they talk about opioid medications in the news, they overplay it to a huge amount and don't bother to distinguish between pharmaceutical grade and street grade and it hurts those of us that use them as medication. Before I had Fentanyl and Oxycodoe I was laying in bed begging God to take me home because they pain was so bad, now that I have them I can do a lot of the things I used to to at least some degree, hunting being one of them. I have a friend that has been through help with a cancer that is so rare that only a few cases come up every year or so and they have put him through hell with his meds since they started to report about the so called opioid epidemic. Some states are even worse, Maine is very bad for helping people that need it now because of it. It is sad it is reported for sensationalism and not for truth and actually trying to help people. I really enjoy Revolutionary War History and from that time on back, not much for reading stuff about history after that time frame.

Quote from: jhoward11 on July 10, 2023, 02:30:36 PM
Golf. I guess it's the same family as Turkey hunting. In the middle of a field chasing something I'll always be mediocre at. Bang! chase it down...Bang! chase it again. You get it.
I went golfing once, I was horrible teeing off, I was close to 500lbs. at the time and my belly was in the way. I was really good at pitching and now I can't remember what is called, not putting though. Trying to get the ball to the green by elevating it through the air.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: BDeal on July 10, 2023, 03:09:54 PM
Deer hunt, walleye fish, and workout.
All fun things to do, well I have never gone for walleye but fishing is always fun.

Quote from: CAPTJJ on July 10, 2023, 04:07:15 PM
Traditional archery obviously based on my posts. Also fishing is a passion but I hadn't fished much for myself in recent years after guiding for so long 24 years. Now that I'm done guiding and in Alaska for 5 months each year I found that I still like to fish. This year I brought my fly rod and I'm having  a lot of fun, have had it for years but never really used it much.
I told a friend when my GF and my dog die I am going to sell pretty much everything I own and travel to Alaska and some of the mountain states here in the Continental U.S. I have never seen mountains and want to in the worst way. I will not sell the camera gear, that will go along. I am trying to shoot my old Ben Pearson Cougar, the shoulders are giving me issues though. I would very much like to go to Sweden and photograph the old windmills against the mountain views. I would like to see the Swiss Alps too which if I am correct go through Sweden?

John Koenig:

Kylongspur88

Fish. Play golf badly. Hike. Work in the garden and yard. We also travel quite a bit.

Kygobblergetter

Still young enough for sports. Basketball volleyball and softball mostly. I love to travel but usually tie in some form of hunting or fishing with it if at all possible. Back in to working out for now but have to admit that's mostly due to an upcoming elk hunt. Hunting and fishing are definitely my main hobbies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmboy27

I do a little fishing (not much better at that than I am at turkey hunting! ????).  Deer hunting (especially archery). Bear hunting. Watching dirt track racing. But mostly just working on what I need to do and helping others with their work when I can!  I don't really have many hobbies outside of hunting.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Kygobblergetter on July 10, 2023, 09:34:14 PM
Still young enough for sports. Basketball volleyball and softball mostly. I love to travel but usually tie in some form of hunting or fishing with it if at all possible. Back in to working out for now but have to admit that's mostly due to an upcoming elk hunt. Hunting and fishing are definitely my main hobbies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure do miss working out, I have a nice set of weight lifting equipment, all Olympic stuff but I can't use most of it. I still use the lat machine trying to put my shoulders bad together so I can bow hunt. It sucks that I used to be able to bench 365lbs. and now I can't even bench the 45lb. bar because the shoulders are no good. Take care of you body, don't abuse it..... to much. Don't ride with somebody that is drunk or on drugs and look out for the other guy and don't knee people in the head without pads on.

Quote from: Farmboy27 on July 10, 2023, 09:45:09 PM
I do a little fishing (not much better at that than I am at turkey hunting! ????).  Deer hunting (especially archery). Bear hunting. Watching dirt track racing. But mostly just working on what I need to do and helping others with their work when I can!  I don't really have many hobbies outside of hunting.

Sounds like a full card to me. I was saving for a black bear hunt in Canada when my last accident happened, wish I had gotten to go. I was going to go into Manitoba because they had cinnamon phase black bear as well as blonds. I really wanted a cinnamon phase. I will try to find the name of the outfitter I was going to go with, driving me nuts I can't remember their name.

John Koenig: