OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Vest Recommendations

Started by Chaser, July 07, 2023, 12:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaser

Looking to buy a new vest before the fall season.  It's been forever since I've bought one, do you guys have any recommendations?
Thanks!
"I remember the gobblers that eluded my best efforts far better than those that I bagged, and I am sure I learned more from them." Earl Groves (from the book TOM FOOLERY 2000)

g8rvet

Budget?  If you list your favorite features it will help too.  Long hikes, long hunts or warmer hunts?  I look at a vest like a boat.  If there was one that was perfect for everything, I could not afford it.  They are all trade off's.  I am happy with an older Tactical Tat'r, but there are plenty of things I would change on it.  I bought a cheap chest pack (HS Strut) for lightweight afternoon or warm weather shorter hunts.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Chaser

Thanks for the reply.  For budget I'd like to stay in $200. 
I hunt the west so long hikes in hilly or mountainous terrain are common, so comfort hiking is important. I have an older inexpensive vest and it's held up surprisingly well but has poor pocket design, so pockets for a couple of slate calls, one box call and a couple of locators. Plus room for all the misc. stuff - gloves and head nets, knife and lunch, shells, water. I usually put a good but in the game bag of my current vest.
A seat is necessary.
"I remember the gobblers that eluded my best efforts far better than those that I bagged, and I am sure I learned more from them." Earl Groves (from the book TOM FOOLERY 2000)

Tnandy

Just found a good deal on here a while back on a Will Primos Signature Series that is loaded to the gills. I have used the Primos Rocker Gen 2 for years and it held up pretty well. I believe this one will also. Got a good padded seat as well. A lot of guys around home are really high up on the Grounded Vest. The only drawback to the Primos ones is the fact that having that much pocket space creates the dilemma of having a lot of material, which gets you plenty hot in late season. I guess a man would definitely have to consider how much he wants to carry and that will determine the style of vest. Good luck

Dtrkyman

Tom007

Sitka worked well for me this year. Carry's just enough, without weighing you down. Extremely well made, lightweight empty, and very adjustable. Great layout, under-rated seat too......

g8rvet

My son likes his Tidewe he got last year.  Would not work for me.  It is no longer made.  The Tenzig 18 I think is fairly similar. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Chaser

Thanks guys.  I'll check those out.

BDeal

I really like the grounded. I do carry a fair amount of stuff and the Sitka and Tethrd dont have enough capacity for what I need. It is a little heavy but worth it for me.

Paulmyr

Been sporting the Alps longs Spur Deluxe for the last couple years. It has 2 zippered pot call pockets and 2 larger pockets big enough to carry box calls. Also has an exposed box call pocket that I keep my bug spray in. Has storage pouches in the rear that can carry a surprising amount of extra clothes. If you use the seat as a cradle instead of sitting upright and have clothes in the rear pouches it's extremely comfortable Midway USA has them for about 50% off right now.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

ShortMagFan

Been using a RnG 200 for a few years and have really liked it

Decided to try going back to a traditional vest after the Fox vest came out. Thankfully I was able to resist getting a Fox (at least so far). I'm real picky. Bought 2 different nomad vests and didn't like them. Tried on countless vests in various stores and couldn't find one that suited me

Finally was recently at a store that had a primos signature series vest. It came home with me and I'm pretty excited to hunt it next year

I'm sure it's hotter than the RnG200.

They are also sized huge. I tried on several sizes and brought a medium home. It fits with room to spare. I'm 5'9" and 240+. I can't imagine what an xl fits like - which is what I would have bought if I ordered online - it would swallow me

Hope this helps and good luck

zelmo1

Cabelas Tactical Tatr 3, but I think it's discontinued. I would buy 2 right now if I could, lol. Z

mihunte

Tethrd and Final Rise make nice vests that are light and won't make you sweat. They're not perfect but imo better than most depending on preferences. Heard good things about the Sitka vest but haven't tried one. These are also pricey but you could get a sale or used one

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: Dtrkyman on July 07, 2023, 02:54:58 PM
RNG 200
X2 been very happy with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

craigmarshall18

I liked my RNG 200 vest until a pot call fell out and broke. Now I'm looking at the M2 vest or making my own with components military supply store

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk