OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's the off-season without good debate ??

Started by Yoder409, July 07, 2023, 09:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

A lot of states have regulations  that could potentially have adverse effects on their Turkey seasons that are legal. "By another permit and kill another bird" is available in allot of states, and it's all legal. If every hunter tried to take advantage of every "legal" regulation, I think we all know that we wouldn't have much left to share and talk about.......

zelmo1

WV Flopper

Your debate question is real, it's in my cabinet. I shoot a BPS 10, but with 2.675 oz, not 2.5. I do shoot an 8X9 blend but first loading was of 7.5 shot.

You are at and past the point of turkey hunting to just turkey killing. The birds of the day that hung up at 50 yards are not a factor for this gun. In putting together a turkey killing machine "Achieved" I went past turkey hunting. Even with the 7.5, not even considering a load of 4's or 5's.

I did go to a 8X9 blend. It has an amazing pattern at 40 yards "610+", and beyond. But, no more lethal than a 20g just because of the one BB factor. Any sub gauge with TSS can achieve this at 40 yards with TSS.

I am getting older but do love the BPS. I have carried my sons M2 and my Viper 410. When you go from a 610+ pattern to the 410g it is a bit different for sure. The 410 has all you need to kill a turkey at 40 yards.

For you debate, IDK. I do know, I will not be a changed person that condemns someone doing what I once done. They can find their own path, for their own reasons. It is not for me to decide for them.

Question: If I possess an adequate weapon, should I buy another to suite the crowd? Or should I dumb it down to handy cap the gun? Shouldn't I try and achieve the most ethical kill of each animal I pursue? Maybe....each individual should set ethical turkey hunting boundaries. Not stopping at just the weapon. It goes much further than that. BTW, rifles are legal in WV an a few other states.

GobbleNut

Personally, I still say a trot line baited with corn is the way to go.  Hooks and corn are a lot cheaper than TSS,...and the "catch and release" element for those turkeys that don't meet our high standards here on OG of no jakes (and/or hens, of course) is really the deciding factor for me,...not to mention that I only have to check the line every few hours.  ...Gives me plenty of time to catch up on my YouTube viewing.    :angel9:   ;D   :toothy9:

Farmboy27

Oh baby!  Another legal vs ethics thread!!  I've said it before and I'll say it again, hunting will be destroyed not by the anti hunting groups, but by hunters themselves who have different views and opinions and hate those who oppose their own views.  Every time one of these discussions pop up I roll my eyes and sigh. I have friends who kill deer at 1000 yards with expensive long range set ups. That's not my cup of tea but I don't bitch about it. I have friends who will happily kill a nursing coyote knowing that the young will slowly starve to death. Not something I'd be proud of but I don't hate them for it. I have friends that use a crossbow who are totally fit and able to use a vertical bow. I'm not a fan of it but hey, we still are friends. Hunters need to stick together.

crow

Greg Massey

Paulmyr

I still think the motorized reaping dolly is the way to go. You can cut that 100yds down to 30 in a matter of seconds.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

WV Flopper

Sorry if I offended, I was bringing out my side.

I thought it was a debate.

crow

Quote from: WV Flopper on July 08, 2023, 11:43:20 PM
Sorry if I offended, I was bringing out my side.

I thought it was a debate.

The lighten up wasn't directed towards you

Yoder409

So, anyways..............

What I was getting at here.......and I think most of you got it........is just HOW far are we willing to go with the "If it's legal where you're at and that's what you want to do" statement ??

Yeah......... I know that "division amongst our own ranks is our own worst enemy".  But, maybe NOT speaking up about "legal" things that ARE or could be detrimental to the future of turkey hunting is a close 2nd place ??

Just tossing out an opinion.  We all know what those are like and why........

But, hey............   It's the off-season.    ;D
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Happy

I am right there with you and agree that there needs to be a line drawn in the sand(we have already blown past where it should be in my opinion). However, I think it needs to be done with the interest of the turkey in mind as opposed to a "you know what" measuring contest between hunters.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

jordanz7935

You'd have to shoot # 7.5 or # 8 tss to have pattern density @ 80+ yards :OGani:. Not enough pellets in the tss #5 or #6 loads... I picked up a nice used 12 ga bps nwtf this year and killed a nice gobbler with it... ( my first with 12 ga in quite a few years)a classic mid morning loud mouth gobbler all by himself. Long story short, even with 2.5oz of #8 tss... in that situation I would have felt more comfortable and confident  taking the shot with my 16 or 20 ga... he came in hard left and got me all twisted up. I took the shot and immediately tasted blood. Shot was around 50 yards and he folded.Was I over gunned? Probably. But ANY of my turkey guns would have made that shot. I was pumped as it was a great hunt on unfamiliar ground and I just officially broke in my new turkey gun.... to me it was an accomplishment to call in and take a nice gobbler in a tough spot with a new "unfamiliar"  gun. To me, it's just another tool in the box, not a crutch. Great    "debate" Yoder! Some great points of view and opinions As long as nobody gets too upset, these debates are great to have as a group, and very American of us! That's the beauty of OG! A lot of hunting forums nowadays are just commercialized circle jerks, im  just glad we can be "allowed to have different opinions", and can have these debates without getting banned.

Hook hanger

I say go for it!!!! A hunters ego could be hurt if he couldn't post a picture for Facebook. Every body needs a ????

eggshell

Many years ago we had this same debate on TTH forums and we gave it up when Gobblenut was trying to determine if a grenade launcher could effectively kill a gobbler without ruining the meat. I think he figured if he placed it within 30 yards the concusssion would do the job and still leave the bird intact. There were a couple other members went even further off the deep end, something about a door gunner and heat seeking rounds.....