turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ok ALL you Wing Bone sharpies!

Started by TrackeySauresRex, June 23, 2023, 04:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrackeySauresRex

I don't know how you guys do it, but you all put out some magnificent stuff!

I consider myself somewhat artistic and have been tinkering with these bones from time to time (20+yrs)  I just recently gave one to a friend for his retirement. I definitely have no intentions in being a custom call maker, because you guys would crush my work Lol!  The amount of work that goes into each set of bones is a lot of work. The piecing together, the apoxying, the transition between joints and the never ending sanding. On and On and On.... It is enjoyable and I'm getting a Weee bit better at it. But nothing like you All!  One day I will get the nerve and post one up.

I love seeing everyone's work and thank you for letting me borrow an idea or two   :toothy9:

B~Well All
Johnny
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

callmakerman

Never tried to buld a wing bone as I have friends that do a great job on them for me when I need one. I will say that I have built plenty of other types turkey calls and will say this. Don't worry about looks as in time that will come. Sound is what means the most and a picture of a dead bird with one of your calls means everything in the end. Please feel free to post up some pics.

EZ

Quote from: callmakerman on June 23, 2023, 04:25:29 PM
Never tried to buld a wing bone as I have friends that do a great job on them for me when I need one. I will say that I have built plenty of other types turkey calls and will say this. Don't worry about looks as in time that will come. Sound is what means the most and a picture of a dead bird with one of your calls means everything in the end. Please feel free to post up some pics.

Here, here!!!!
Best words of wisdom I've heard for a while. well said Bill!!!

Tarheel

True story......

Years ago I decided I would build myself a trumpet yelper. So I got access to a small lathe and built one.  It didn't sound too bad, but it didn't sound like the turkey I wanted either. So I made several dimensional internal adjustments and built several more....with mixed results.  Finally, it was recommended I contact Frank Hegler and go visit him to see if he would be of assistance. I called Frank, and he graciously agreed to my coming to visit and him looking at my calls. It was a 4 hour trip to his basement shop.  I arrive, and Frank shows me several of the trumpet yelpers he has made and the equipment he used for making them. Then it's my turn to show my work. I take out 3-4 calls that I had thought were the best examples of my work.  I'll never forget the expression on Frank Hegler's face when he saw those calls.  "Marvin, those calls are ugly. You need to go back home and try again...and see if you can make some calls I can stand to look at. Then we'll see if we can help you with the sound." I explained to Frank I didn't care how a trumpet yelper looked I just wanted it to play.  Again, I saw the same expression on Frank's face. Frank then gave a me a short lecture on looks....and the importance of looks as a first impression....the importance of looks related to pride of ownership.  Then he sent me back home. That was the end of the visit. I was embarrassed.  It was a long 4 hour drive back home....but for me it was a valuable lesson, and Frank definitely made his point.  I made some more calls, and I visited Frank several more times. Frank was very helpful teaching me how to break down the internals of a trumpet yelper and making changes one at a time. But I will always remember Frank's lesson on looks.....LOL!!!

EZ

Another very good point Marvin.

That's the great thing about this "Old Gobbler Forum".....we got tons of very talented call makers.

superx2

Quote from: Tarheel on June 26, 2023, 07:25:36 AM

True story......

Years ago I decided I would build myself a trumpet yelper. So I got access to a small lathe and built one.  It didn't sound too bad, but it didn't sound like the turkey I wanted either. So I made several dimensional internal adjustments and built several more....with mixed results.  Finally, it was recommended I contact Frank Hegler and go visit him to see if he would be of assistance. I called Frank, and he graciously agreed to my coming to visit and him looking at my calls. It was a 4 hour trip to his basement shop.  I arrive, and Frank shows me several of the trumpet yelpers he has made and the equipment he used for making them. Then it's my turn to show my work. I take out 3-4 calls that I had thought were the best examples of my work.  I'll never forget the expression on Frank Hegler's face when he saw those calls.  "Marvin, those calls are ugly. You need to go back home and try again...and see if you can make some calls I can stand to look at. Then we'll see if we can help you with the sound." I explained to Frank I didn't care how a trumpet yelper looked I just wanted it to play.  Again, I saw the same expression on Frank's face. Frank then gave a me a short lecture on looks....and the importance of looks as a first impression....the importance of looks related to pride of ownership.  Then he sent me back home. That was the end of the visit. I was embarrassed.  It was a long 4 hour drive back home....but for me it was a valuable lesson, and Frank definitely made his point.  I made some more calls, and I visited Frank several more times. Frank was very helpful teaching me how to break down the internals of a trumpet yelper and making changes one at a time. But I will always remember Frank's lesson on looks.....LOL!!!

This was great story. made me laugh. 
also good point like EZ said. 

Greg Massey

Reading these posts, makes you appreciate call builders and all the craftsmanship  to detail ... i agree looks is the starting point ...