Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Eastern Hemlock and White Spruce For Turkey Calls?

Started by vt35mag, June 21, 2023, 09:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vt35mag

Can hemlock or spruce be used to make box or pot calls? 
Curious because I have pieces of ax cut beams out of my 170yr old house I would like to try and have something made from them rather than putting them in the burn pile.

gonehuntin982

Vt35mag, I have built boxes from old hemlock from a log home I put a second story on, it was built in 1850 the hemlock was from the old rafters as far as the spruce I don't know I have built a few Sitka spruce calls but not from any spruce from the east ??

Mike

Yoder409

No firsthand experience.  Just observation.........

Sitka spruce and heart pine work well.  But both are considerably denser and tighter-grained than either hemlock or Norway spruce.

CAN make calls from them ??  I'm sure you can.  But, I don't think you'd be happy with the sound of the end result.  If that's all I had, I'd use a board from very near the center of the tree.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

slicksbeagles1

Talk to a call maker that you would like to build your call or calls. Try it you can't ever tell until it is done, might surprise you and then it may not  Also the wood came from a time when trees had time to grow longer.

mmclain

Yes.  Harder wood doesn't alway mean better neither does a fine grain.  There are no absolute rules on woods and call building.