OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trigger Job on Remington 870

Started by 243kid, June 12, 2023, 07:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

243kid

Has anyone lightened the trigger on a Remington 870.
Did you purchase an aftermarket trigger like a Timney?
Or just change springs

runngun

I swapped the sear spring with the MCarbo and it dropped over 2 pounds, to a touch over 3 pounds.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Ranman

Change sear spring, drastic difference.

jordanz7935

I have the patriot sear spring in my 870's. Been running them for years.

Tom007

I put a Timney kit on one of mine. Real nice. Definitely recommend it....
"Solo hunter"

captpete

I also put the Timney kit in mine. It made a huge difference. The nice thing about the kit is it come with 3 different weight spring and it's also adjustable using the supplied allen wrench/key.

Greg Massey

I guess I've been fortunate in all my Remington turkey guns I've never had a reason to change the trigger pull or trigger out for something different... Interesting ...

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on June 13, 2023, 10:29:56 AM
I guess I've been fortunate in all my Remington turkey guns I've never had a reason to change the trigger pull or trigger out for something different... Interesting ...

You are correct Greg, the factory triggers are real good. I just got board a few winters ago and decided to change out my Bottomland SPS to a Timney. It definitely has a nice, light, smooth pull at around 2 pounds.....be safe....
"Solo hunter"

runngun

I don't like a 5 pound trigger on any gun. All Remington shotguns that I have measured come in between 5 and 6 pounds. So at a minimum I choose to change the springs. But with that being said I also change every spring with Wolf extra power springs. Needed or required, nope not at all. But it gives me confidence. I guess I got used to pistol and rifle triggers, I have a CZ 223 bolt action with a "Set" trigger that measures 2 ounces!!! I prefer shotgun triggers around 3 pounds, I have sent several triggers to Cole's Fine Gunsmithing that I use for sporting clays and they come back at 2 pounds.

Have a good one and May God bless, Bocephus

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Greg Massey

Not saying mine doesn't have a trigger that's over 3 pounds, that really doesn't bother me, What i dislike is the travel creep before it makes contact within the trigger ...  None of my Remington's have this creep problem ...

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on June 13, 2023, 03:36:53 PM
Not saying mine doesn't have a trigger that's over 3 pounds, that really doesn't bother me, What i dislike is the travel creep before it makes contact within the trigger ...  None of my Remington's have this creep problem ...

Amen, that's the only thing I don't like about the Winchester 1300's. Great guns, lousy triggers....
"Solo hunter"

Teamblue

I bought a new 870 fieldmaster and it had the most horrendous trigger i have ever experienced. Gritty, long take up, multiple notches. Just pitiful.  I sent it to a gunsmith that advertises 870 trigger jobs on the big auction site. It came back substantially better but not perfect. I am happy considering how bad it was beforehand.  He also installs an over-travel screw.  Turn around time was quick.  I would probably do it again on another if needed. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tracker#1

Mcarbo, I did all my Remingtons, cheap, works well, simple...

RLAG

I did the mcarbo spring fully expecting to be unsatisfied. I'm wrong and like it. My thought was to do the spring swap. If that isn't enough, polish the sear. If you screw up the sear from polishing too much off, drop in a timney and you've only lost $10 or $15 on the spring. Start with the cheap option

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Bwhntr68

Another cheap option is to simply cut one coil of your original trigger spring. Lightens the weight up, for the creep polish the sear. If you don't like that then spend the money on new springs or a timney