turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

940 pro turkey 18 1/2” barrel

Started by Bottomland OG, June 07, 2023, 12:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bottomland OG

Y'all bear with me I'm new here and not good at this computer stuff. Im fixing to buy a 940 and like to shoot Lbxr's. Never messed with any turkey guns with the invector style chokes. I'm looking for a good starting point so I might not have to buy anymore chokes than I have too. Thanks

HookedonHooks

My 940 Pro Turkey with an 18 1/2" barrel shoots LBXR 3" #5's with a Indian Creek .660 like a dream. It's easily a 45-50 yard gun and is absolutely devastating 30 or less.

Indian Creek only offers the one constriction in their turkey chokes for the Invector style and is .660 like I mentioned. This choke was too tight for Apex #9's 2 1/4 oz and had pattern blowout due to over constriction. I decided to stick with the Indian Creek and shooting the Winchester Longbeard XR's rather than buying a bunch of chokes and finding the sweet spot to shoot TSS. I don't have much interesting in shooting a turkey beyond 50 yards, so I settled for the sufficient pattern it provided. At close ranges (10-20 yards) you will be extremely tight with the LBXR's, I about lopped ones head clean off this year with mine at at 7 steps.

Bottomland OG

Thanks for the information. That will be helpful. I have a few IC chokes for some of my other guns and are shooters with the right set up's. One of those were definitely on my get list for the gun. Again thanks for the info.

BushWacker24

Indian Creek 665 shot great with Apex 3 inch #9's.  Don't think you can go wrong with IC.  Unfortunately Mossberg has had my 940 for 8 weeks.  Jamming and double feeding shells.  Not too happy with Mossberg right now.  Good luck tho.

Bottomland OG

Well I've heard good things about Mossburg's customer service so maybe they will get the problem resolved. I can also see where that would be very aggravating to have a gun that new and having problems like that. I agree on being hard to go wrong with a ic. They will flat more shoot. Hope you get your gun problem fixed and thanks for the info.

BushWacker24

Too much money to spend on a gun right before the season, mount a red dot, spend money patterning it to have to send it back in.  As of today it has still not even been looked at and there's no time frame of when it will be looked at.  Either Mossberg is really backed up fixing a lot of guns that are coming in with defects or they are extremely slow.  I had an issue with browning awhile back and turn around was fairly quick.

BushWacker24

Did you ever purchase a 940?  If not mine may be for sale when I get it back lol.  Contacted Mossberg today and no eta as they have not even looked at it yet.  Pretty pethetic if u ask me.  Going on three months now.  And after reading other reviews on my gun it seems like a lot of people are having the same issue.

Bottomland OG

Yes, I did end up getting one. I haven't fired a shot through it yet though. I hate you are having issues with yours and hope you can get them resolved. If i were dealing with what you are, it would definitely be for sale when I got it back. Knock on wood, I've never had any issues to that degree with a turkey gun and I've got a good many of them, so maybe it won't start with this one. I have a couple and they are definitely shooters but never been a Mossburg guy. I'm a sucker for a short barrel on a turkey gun so that's what sold me on the 940.

BushWacker24

When you can, load shells from the magazine and see if they will properly go into the chamber.  I talked to someone else who purchased one and is having the same jam/double feed issue that I am having.

mrclif

Curious, I don't deal with failures well at all. My 940 ran flawless all season. I never tried to manually cycle loads thru and only loaded and unloaded with way owners manual specified because I read somewhere they had issues doing it that way. Manual states open chamber insert shell then load mag, unloading it says to remove shells from mag first(very easy and quick to do by design) then remove one from chamber. I honestly don't remember trying any other way off hand. I shot mine alot trying different chokes, loads and killed several turkeys this past season with zero failures to feed or extractions. Pleasantly surprised how much I liked this shotgun but don't like hearing about your experience with their customer service.