OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Red dot and dark mornings

Started by jrgrimmy, June 03, 2023, 09:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrgrimmy

This year I was hunting with an overcast sky and a thick canopy overhead. I had a bird strut past but every time I lined him up the red dot would 'out shine' the bird and I lose it. It's on its lowest setting and isn't usually a problem most days. Does anyone use a marker or something similar to deal with situations like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PharmHunter

I've never had an issue on the lowest setting with a FF3 and some pretty early, dark woods situations.

Dtrkyman

You would have to spend some time on the range and figure out a consistent way to aim without the dot.  Just putting a permanent dot on the optic wouldn't work unless you had a secondary reference to line it up with.

I would be looking for a different optic If I had that issue.

I have not made the switch to a dot, using adjustable iron sights.

Tail Feathers

I had that happen to me this spring, but lowering the setting worked.  I had it pretty low, but the circle dot put out a lot of light towards the eye.  A lot of these have settings low enough to work the night vision.  Surely most get low enough for a dark thirty shot.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

joey46

I have a Sig Romeo 5 on my .410.  I adjust the dot up or down as necessary.  It came with a high mount that looks goofy but allows me to sight underneath it down the barrel if I would have a red dot failure.  I have taken a few practice shots this way and at close range would be okay. 

Yoder409

It's never, ever been a problem for me.

I'm using the old Burris Speed Dot sights.  11 settings of brightness.  There's one for any lighting conditions.  I would definitely stay away from the busier reticles........circles with crosshairs, etc.......and any dot bigger than 3 MOA.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Greg Massey

I have more problems with them on bright sunny days than in the early dark morning ...  I have the FF3 and the Kingslayer and to be honest i really don't care for them.. I would rather have a scope ... IMO....

kayl

This is going to be a dot-specific problem. I use the Sig Romeo 5, which goes so low that it can be used with night vision. It also gets so bright that it's perfect for high noon sun.

Meleagris gallopavo

I have more problems in sunny conditions.  As it the sun comes up I turn up the brightness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

mspaci

I use a burris speed dot. Lowest setting first thing in am is great

Happy

I never turn my dot on until things are fixing to get real. When I do, I adjust it for the current light conditions and have never had a problem

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

grayfox

I used the Swampfox Kingslayer with the green circle & dot reticle this past season. It turns down so low in the morning before daylight you can make the reticle completely disappear. It has plenty of brightness in the sunlight & the dot doesn't seem to flare like some of the others when you really crank up the brightness. For years I used a Truglo Tru-Brite because of it's ability to turn down so low in the morning but the optics was kind of dark like tinting on a window. In the past I've also tried an Ultra-Dot, Burris Fastfire lll & a Vortex Venom. For my eyes I like the Kingslayer the best. The verdict is still out as to how well it will hold up.

Tom007

Quote from: grayfox on June 03, 2023, 12:30:36 PM
I used the Swampfox Kingslayer with the green circle & dot reticle this past season. It turns down so low in the morning before daylight you can make the reticle completely disappear. It has plenty of brightness in the sunlight & the dot doesn't seem to flare like some of the others when you really crank up the brightness. For years I used a Truglo Tru-Brite because of it's ability to turn down so low in the morning but the optics was kind of dark like tinting on a window. In the past I've also tried an Ultra-Dot, Burris Fastfire lll & a Vortex Venom. For my eyes I like the Kingslayer the best. The verdict is still out as to how well it will hold up.

Same thing with the Burris Fastfires. Low setting works great in super low light conditions. The lowest setting is almost invisible after daylight....

WV Flopper

I had the red blasted out issue this spring with a FF3. Turkey gobbled early, flew down early and got missed early.

Dot was on fourth setting, lowest it will go.  It can happen.

Paulmyr

Is possible your sight had dew on it or dust causing it to wash out in the low light conditions?
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.