turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20ga 870 Youth Model

Started by rifleman, June 03, 2023, 08:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rifleman

I understand manuerability and weight are a benefit but beyond that why is there such a big emphasis on the youth model?  Does the shorter barrel shoot better patterns?  Curious, that's all.

ccleroy

The 21" Barrel gives you @ a 23" barrel once an extended choke is added. Also, the shorter length of pull youth stock helps when in a seated position.

Greg Massey

I have a variety of turkey guns and my favorite ones are the 21 inch and 24 inch barrels ....

rifleman

Do they shoot better patterns than the 26" or basically just personal preferences as mentioned?

Greg Massey

Quote from: rifleman on June 03, 2023, 02:49:36 PM
Do they shoot better patterns than the 26" or basically just personal preferences as mentioned?
They will pattern just as well and what also helps is less weight and the gun is a lot easier to maneuver ....

sswv

I have personal hands on experience with a 21" 870, a 21" 1100 LW Magnum Turkey and a 26" full factory camo 11-87. I still have the 21" and it would hands down out shoot the other 2 with any choke shell combo. I added a ShurShot stock set several years ago and that made me like it even more.

word of advice....the ShurShot on a 20ga needs a little modification where it meets the receiver in order to get the correct sight plain.

Greg Massey

Quote from: sswv on June 04, 2023, 08:57:53 AM
I have personal hands on experience with a 21" 870, a 21" 1100 LW Magnum Turkey and a 26" full factory camo 11-87. I still have the 21" and it would hands down out shoot the other 2 with any choke shell combo. I added a ShurShot stock set several years ago and that made me like it even more.

word of advice....the ShurShot on a 20ga needs a little modification where it meets the receiver in order to get the correct sight plain.
I have the SurShot on my 20 ga. with a 21 inch barrel and i didn't need to do any modifications to the stock and it shoots just fine...  The difference could be that i'm using a saddle mount and scope ...

Ridge Rooster

No mods needed on my 2 youth model Remingtons with ShurShot stocks but I run a Sumtoy mount with Red Dot and find that they are perfect.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Oldmason

I just bought one. I put a I/C choke on it. Going to shoot both Apex #9 and Federal #8 1/2. whill post pictures

sswv

yeah guys,  considering y'all are not shooting straight down the rib you wouldn't need to modify but I just couldn't get a good line of sight without the slight modification.

Ranman

I had the same experience as SSWV with the Sureshot on my 870 20ga. Comb was too high to use the barrel bead as a sight, but is perfect for a red dot.. a Vortex Venom solved my issue.

I have two 870 20 ga, one has 26" barrel and the other a 21" barrel. Pattern the same. The 21" is a dream to turkey hunt with. Doesn't get caught on limbs as I walk through the woods, and is easy to maneuver when ready to shoot. I had a Gobbler slip in to my right this year when I was working another bird. He never gobbled, I heard him drumming. He walked past me at 20 steps and as he walked behind a pine tree, I was able to turn my gun and shoot him left handed when he stepped out.
The 21" barrel made this effortless.