turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shortening SteadyGrip Stock

Started by DROCK, May 23, 2023, 11:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DROCK

I have a Franchi Affinity with the pistol grip SteadyGrip stock also found on Benelli's, etc.  It has a 14.25" length of pull.  I found it a bit long when sitting down against a tree.  Has anyone here successfully cut their SteadyGrip stock to shorten the LOP?

ShortMagFan

Never made sense to me that those stocks are t shorter.

Scottf270

If you can find a pad to fit the " new" opening  you should be able to shorten the stock. I am thinking of buying an Urbino brand stock. It is available with cheek riser and has a shorter lop. Would have to have it dipped to match. Just an option.

tomcat11-64

I have. Not that hard really if you have any mechanical abilities.
I decided on a Pachmayr 1" thick  deacelerator pad. I think large.
Then I put all my turkey gear on. Grabbed my AR-15 with collapsible stock went out and sat down up
against a tree. I played with the stock adjustment till I thought I had it set comfortable.
I'm 5'7" and still shrinking. With that said I decided on 13" off pull.
I installed the Steady grip stock on my SBE II and measured 13" of pull. Minius another inch for
where I need to cut the stock.
I removed the stock taped it up with blue painters tape remade my mark and then thought do you really want to cut up a brand new stock? Mine is a camo APG version.
Anyway I have some wood working equipment and in my arsenal I have a Delta compund miter saw.
I spent some time making sure my mark was parallel with the factory cut end. Even might have needed to shim one end up but can't remember. Then I held my breath and made my cut nice and
slow. Piece of cake.
After doing this you have to make something to mount inside your butt stock so you can affix your
recoil pad to. It will need to be flush with the end of stock.
This is where you over think things. I used a piece of outdoor plywood 3/4" or 5/8" thick.
Then I had some Gorrila construction glue that came in a tube kinda like tooth paste.
When you make your wood piece you will have to taper the edges in because the stock opening gets smaller has it gets deeper.
Then you will need to bore a hole in the wood for the recoil spring tube with the treaded end.
It will need to be large enough to be able to get a 1/4" drive deep well socket into so you can
tighten you stock down to the shotgun receiver.
After fitting,drilling,sanding, and checking it twice I used my Gorrila glue and did the deed.
Do yourself a favor and give it plenty of time to dry. I still had blue tape on it in case of glue spillage.
With that all done I test fit it on the receiver to make sure all was well.
Then I studied the holes for the butt pad and marked them were they needed to be and removed stock from gun.
I made sure the pad was sitting flat with the but end of the stock to suit me and pre drilled my butt pad screw holes then mounted my pad.
Then I took my belt sander and mounted it almost straight up and down in my vise Put another wrap of blue tape around the butt end for good measure. All I can say is go sloooow. If you take too much
off you can't put it back on.
Im no professional but its been over five years and resides on a M2 21" barrel 12ga now and as the
say it's good enough for the girls I go with.
I probably could stand to maybe take a 16th off here and there but I thought I would quite while I was ahead and not ruin my hydodip camo pattern.
Sorry for the looong post but you asked.

Lcmacd 58

Good job .... sounds like you made it work

DROCK

Thanks for the detailed response, TomCat!  This seems like it is something I could do, for sure.  I will give it a try!

tomcat11-64

Be sure to rough up the inside of stock before gluing your wood piece in so the glue will have a better hold.
Forgot to mention that.
If I knew how to post pictures I would show you the end results. But I don't.

Roost 1

I'd def look into the mesa tactical urbino stock with the limbsaver pad for $130 shipped.

PALongspur

Has anyone used the Mesa stock on an M2 20 gauge?

Trkmaster88

Quote from: PALongspur on July 27, 2023, 08:31:18 AM
Has anyone used the Mesa stock on an M2 20 gauge?

Yepp works perfect. The stock is a little proud of the receiver where they attach but it's a non-issue.