turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Colorado

Started by JMalin, May 18, 2023, 08:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMalin

Returning this year after striking out late last season.  I should be in turkeys much sooner thanks to some of the groundwork I laid last year along with some helpful DM's.  Heading up Friday and will stay as long as necessary to fill tag or until season ends.  I hope it doesn't take me more than a few days to fill a tag though.  If I find early success, I was thinking about running into Utah from there.  From quick google searches, the numbers in the southern and southeastern part of the state seem way down though and Utah may not be worth the effort this late into the season.  It's just the closest option to extend the season if I find success in colorado.  We'll see what happens.

GobbleNut

Good luck.  Late-season public-land hunting in both states is a real challenge from my past experience.  A bit of good fortune and maybe some insider information goes a long way up there!   :icon_thumright:

Turkeybutt

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Dtrkyman

Late season Colorado is a challenge!

Pressure is crazy and the forest roads have been open a while!

Lace em up tight, good luck!

Birds were hot around the first of May according to a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

birdman24

Populations where I hunt in Colorado and Utah were as strong as I've seen in the last 25 years or so. Access in Utah is tough, still lots of closed gates. I hunt southern Utah BTW. Can't currently drive a truck in, only 50" access. Can't speak to southeast, though they've had issues over the years. Where I hunt in Colorado, gate opened the day I drove over. About 1.5 weeks ago. Hunt between 8000-9000 ft. Hens were leaving toms about 10 am and showing back up 2:30-3 pm. Tons of birds. Hens seem to be sitting full time in southern Utah. Also tons of birds. Called one in for a buddy yesterday. Fun morning. It's been a great season. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

JMalin

Two midday gobbles at third spot of the day.  Tried to gain a little elevation to pinpoint direction and never heard from the bird again.  Will be in there this evening to roost if nothing else pans out and the rain holds off.  Morning was pretty much a bust with clouds and light rain falling.

JMalin

More rain at roost time.  Hopefully the skies clear out overnight

JMalin

Rain let up right around sunset and was able to roost the bird I struck mid day.  He might be a screw ball with how close he is to the forest service road.  We'll see in the morning.

JMalin

Gobbled a handful of times on the limb and pitched down the opposite way.  Gobbled two times on the ground.  Was able to glass what I think was a male bird and three hens.  Couldn't tell if Jake or hen his head was so dull, but saw some red on side profile.  Appeared to have a 5-6 inch beard.  Seemed kinda small body sized to be a tom.  Got a courtesy gobble at second spot of the morning as the sun finally broke through.  Would be nice to find one that'll work

JMalin

JMalin

Roosted ain't roasted.  I need to find a different bird to hunt I think.

GobbleNut

I've been rooting for you, but having hunted there late in the season like you are doing, I am well aware of those gobblers that will avoid anything sounding remotely like a turkey like you are the plague.   ::)

Persevere and hope you find one that somehow hasn't heard it all...  :icon_thumright:

JMalin

A bird I got a courtesy gobble from yesterday morning was in the same place again this morning judging by the fresh turd he left in the road.  Looks like more rain about to fire up, but staking him out is looking like my plan for tomorrow if nothing else pans out.

Dtrkyman

beard and bird size is not a determining factor on a Merriam's tom!

I shot one up there 3 years ago, was the size of a large chicken, lol.  But a tom.

Good luck.

JMalin

Good to know.  The smallest Merriam I've ever killed in NM still tipped the scales at 17 pounds.  Have had a couple over 20.