Started by Tally Turkey, May 16, 2023, 02:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampRooster17

Remington 870

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highball

Bottomland OG

mountainhunter1

I have a 870 that I bought in 1992 that has never failed to go bang when I pulled the trigger. Killed a lot of turkeys with that tank of a gun (yes, it does weigh right at nine pounds with a saddle/scope/extended choke/and sling all attached. But it is the one gun I never worry about.

But, I'm not 25 anymore and hunt in non-stop elevation - and have been going lighter for that reason. I really thought that Remington was going to go out of business a few years back and their quality control was really bad at the time. But then a miracle happened for them and they got bought out and today I feel like their current guns are as good as any they have made. The action is MUCH smoother, the wood is much better and the finish is also improved. And yes, they are drilled and tapped from the factory. I would not hesitate to buy one and am presently getting one in a compact 20 as a backup gun. For the money, I think the 870 is back and as good as one can get for a pump. The compact 20 weighs 6 pounds and is 40.5 inches long. You will like carrying that in the woods in the spring, and because you are sitting in a crouched position and not wing shooting, the 13" LOP will not be an issue for the majority of turkey hunters.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

owlhoot

Quote from: Tally Turkey on May 16, 2023, 02:59:22 PM
Hi All,

I had my grandpa's old Mossberg 835 fail twice on me this season with Gobblers in range, and the birds walked both times. I've done all I can to clean and "restore" it, but I just don't trust it anymore.

I'm looking to buy a new pump with a focus on reliability that I can use for turkeys and as a backup to my SBE that I use for ducks.

I'm thinking 26" barrel, no red dot. I'm leaning towards a benelli super nova or Mossberg 835 but open to other ideas. Curious y'alls thoughts on the best reliable pump options available for me.

Thank you in advance!

What shells did it fail with?

WildTigerTrout

Rem. 870- I have owned three of them with no problems, EVER.
Browning BPS- two of those with zero problems
Benelli Nova-same story, have owned three with no problems.
Mossberg 835 and Model 500- I have owned one of each model with no issues.

IMO you should take your Mossberg 835 to a good gunsmith and perhaps he can diagnose the problem and fix it for you. If it belonged to my grandfather that's what I would do.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

jhoward11

-Had 870 long ago, no concerns, good gun.
-Have 3 Ithaca Turkey slayers, love these guns!!! They are what they say
-1 Benelli nova, good gun. little long for me in the woods, but it could reach out and touch'em.
-Mossberg 835, killingest gun I've owned. Great patterns. It will kick, so only use 3" shells.

Asking which gun is the best is like asking a parent about their child. Theirs is always going to be the best. By the way....my guns are the best. LOLLLLL

Bowguy

Kinda surprised all the 870 fans. They were fantastic guns. Were is past tense. Can't live on the old days when that's not true now. Ever since that express garbage started they went down hill and recently out of business. Now back in business the fit, finish, reliability is no where near what the old ones were. I'd never recommend a new 870 and would steer you from it . A mossberg is not my favorite manufacturer either but you'd be way ahead for around same price. If you want to go better/more expensive, the browning. If you could find an old 870 wingmaster and don't mind modifying it w paint, threading barrel that'd be good bet.
The other thing I should mention, another 835 would be a good bet. Never even heard of one with issues and about everyone I know has one. Another consideration is imo a turkey gun is best just staying turkey gun. I know you don't want a red dot or scope but if poa isn't correct and with todays loads it's often not, I'd find a way to adjust that with some sights and call it a turkey gun. Not a back up for anything as you'd be readjusting it every spring. If it throws the pattern good you'd be ok. I just wouldn't count on that

b wilt

Quote from: Bowguy on November 19, 2023, 04:13:22 AM
Kinda surprised all the 870 fans. They were fantastic guns. Were is past tense. Can't live on the old days when that's not true now. Ever since that express garbage started they went down hill and recently out of business. Now back in business the fit, finish, reliability is no where near what the old ones were. I'd never recommend a new 870 and would steer you from it . A mossberg is not my favorite manufacturer either but you'd be way ahead for around same price. If you want to go better/more expensive, the browning. If you could find an old 870 wingmaster and don't mind modifying it w paint, threading barrel that'd be good bet.
The other thing I should mention, another 835 would be a good bet. Never even heard of one with issues and about everyone I know has one. Another consideration is imo a turkey gun is best just staying turkey gun. I know you don't want a red dot or scope but if poa isn't correct and with todays loads it's often not, I'd find a way to adjust that with some sights and call it a turkey gun. Not a back up for anything as you'd be readjusting it every spring. If it throws the pattern good you'd be ok. I just wouldn't count on that

I agree with the "Can't live in the old days" for example the latter Express days? But From what I have seen the Newer Fieldmasters are pretty nice guns, but I don't figure they can ever get a fair shake now no matter what they do. Lol

Bowguy

Quote from: b wilt on November 19, 2023, 08:20:26 AM

I agree with the "Can't live in the old days" for example the latter Express days? But From what I have seen the Newer Fieldmasters are pretty nice guns, but I don't figure they can ever get a fair shake now no matter what they do. Lol

Well they gotta prove they're good quality and it'll take time. Right now if the new ones seem better that's good but soon as they started the cheapest gun race they lost something. Take an old wingmaster, work it with a new gun. Night n day bud

Ihuntoldschool

Hard to find a pump that isn't reliable.  Take your pick.

I'd get the 835 fixed and use it .

Gobblechicken4

Mossberg 835 for me. That said if I could find the afformentioned 15-20 year old 870 in good condition and the super mag version I'd love to have that. I have a buddy that has one he won't part with. It's a. Absolute killer.

So is my 835 though.

YoungGobbler

Quote from: Bowguy on November 19, 2023, 12:34:14 PM
Quote from: b wilt on November 19, 2023, 08:20:26 AM

Well they gotta prove they're good quality and it'll take time. Right now if the new ones seem better that's good but soon as they started the cheapest gun race they lost something. Take an old wingmaster, work it with a new gun. Night n day bud
Old remington guns like wingmaster are awesome gun and more recent ones like Express ones are made with less quality, but they are still sturdy guns to me.