OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Reliable Pump

Started by Tally Turkey, May 16, 2023, 02:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mspaci

Ithaca Turkey Slayer

knightrider

Quote from: Canadian on May 17, 2023, 10:30:32 AM
From owning one myself, and watching lots of turkey hunting videos, ive found that 8/10 times i see a shotgun misfire or fail, its been a mossberg pump... I got a buddy thats shot over 100,000 rounds through his 500, so maybe its just luck of the draw with em, and he got a good one? Anyways, i got a BPS and absolutely love it. Ambidextrous too. Highly recommend it. Points good, shoots good, smooth action, and reliable. When i pull the trigger, it always goes boom for me.

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk
and 8 out of 10 times its user error instead if brand malfunction

Canadian

Quote from: knightrider on May 18, 2023, 12:49:40 PM
Quote from: Canadian on May 17, 2023, 10:30:32 AM
From owning one myself, and watching lots of turkey hunting videos, ive found that 8/10 times i see a shotgun misfire or fail, its been a mossberg pump... I got a buddy thats shot over 100,000 rounds through his 500, so maybe its just luck of the draw with em, and he got a good one? Anyways, i got a BPS and absolutely love it. Ambidextrous too. Highly recommend it. Points good, shoots good, smooth action, and reliable. When i pull the trigger, it always goes boom for me.

and 8 out of 10 times its user error instead if brand malfunction
Possibly. I know i kept mine immaculate, and it misfired twice. Maybe just bad luck? I clean mine after every shot (unless trap shooting, or first shot is a miss). Either way, super happy with my BPS.

RED NECK

I like them all but I just like the bps and would trust it over any other pump more..... I'd just buy the gun I wanted the most and enjoy hunting with it, then buy the next one I wanted after that.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Clif Owen

Complicated answer...overall best quality? An 870 Wingmaster..but I hate the 870 Express. It's like every bit of quality control went out the window.
Best patterning..Mossberg 835 based on the couple I've shot. And it's not even close
Probably the one that feels best is the BPS. Not sure why but it just feels right.

Canadian

Quote from: Tally Turkey on May 16, 2023, 02:59:22 PM
Hi All,

I had my grandpa's old Mossberg 835 fail twice on me this season with Gobblers in range, and the birds walked both times. I've done all I can to clean and "restore" it, but I just don't trust it anymore.

I'm looking to buy a new pump with a focus on reliability that I can use for turkeys and as a backup to my SBE that I use for ducks.

I'm thinking 26" barrel, no red dot. I'm leaning towards a benelli super nova or Mossberg 835 but open to other ideas. Curious y'alls thoughts on the best reliable pump options available for me.

Thank you in advance!
Keep us posted which option you go with brother. im very curious lol. I think if you go with any of the mentioned guns here, you cant go wrong. And as knightrider said, 8/10 misfires are probably caused by shotgun abuse and neglect. Excited to hear what u go with.

howl

The only gun of any type I've never had a single failure of any kind from is a Mossberg 500 I got thirty years ago. Most of the time when someone says they've never had any failure they're forgetting or lying. That gun hasn't even crossed paths with a bad shell.

The only pump I'd consider using these days is a Mossberg 505AF 20ga. You'll probably want a slip on recoil pad to lengthen the stock.

g8rvet

870 Express  30+ years old.  The only failure to fire and/or feed was a bad shell (side wall dented and hung trying to load thank goodness) and the few times I put a shell in backwards on a hectic ringneck shoot.  No failure, not forgetting and not a liar. 

My son's 870 he won in a clay shoot as a kid (roughly 2005 or so) does not have the same track record, not even close.  870 started going downhill then.  I don't know about Mossberg as I have never owned one.  I was always told as a kid in the  late 60s and early 70s that Mossberg's were a POS so I just assumed they were telling the truth.  Heard that about Mopar in those days and now I own one.  Brands change. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

stinkpickle

With pump guns, I think it's a better idea to stick with 3" chambers.  I would take my BPS anywhere and use it for anything.

Teamblue

Its a personal choice based on personal preference.

My choice in descending order is:

1.  Ithaca Turkeyslayer
2. Rem 870
3.  Win 1300
4. Browning bps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tnanh

There is a reason most police departments have had 870s in their patrol cars for years. Tough and dependable. All the new manufacture ones are drilled and tapped too.

Tom007

Quote from: tnanh on June 02, 2023, 05:37:12 PM
There is a reason most police departments have had 870s in their patrol cars for years. Tough and dependable. All the new manufacture ones are drilled and tapped too.

X2 here. The Wing-masters and the early 90's Greenleaf/Bottomland 870's are built like tanks. You can tell when you cycle one how smooth and solid they are. I never had one misfire, not cycle, absolutely no issues with anyone of mine. I do like the Winchester 1300 NWTF laminate stock models, however the triggers are not as smooth as the 870's. I haven't been able to find an aftermarket trigger kit to make them any smoother. They are nice reliable pumps though.....
"Solo hunter"

Wvgobbler

Remington 870
Benelli super nova
Winchester 1300

243kid

I just bought a first generation Remington 870 Super Mag. I love it

OJR

I have both an 870 Express and a Benelli Nova. Can't complain about either one. I will say, I have dedicated the 870 as my turkey gun. Red dot, SureShot stock and all camo. It's a great gun for Turkeys.