turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Back on the horse (part 2)

Started by Farmboy27, May 13, 2023, 01:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmboy27

Anyone who read my first back on the horse post knows that I took a step away from turkey hunting for a year. Bird numbers have been declining for several years in my area and I just wasn't enjoying it anymore. I was putting a lot pressure on myself to continue my streak of killing a bird every year since I was 12. I just couldn't stand the thought of breaking a 30 year streak of killing a bird. For 2 years I honestly didn't even enjoy turkey hunting. I did it because I thought I had to. So last year I took a year off and intentionally broke the streak. This year I went with my son on opening day and he killed a nice bird. It got my blood pumping again!  This morning I was able to kill a nice bird with my son sitting beside me!  Awesome morning and season. But I will never again allow myself to get so tied up in thinking that I have to kill a bird that I lose sight of why I enjoy doing this!  Life is way too short for that!!

ScottTaulbee

I know exactly what you mean!. I have killed my two turkeys every season since I was 11 years old back in 2006 when I got my first. I was putting so much pressure on myself to perform the past few years that it was unbelievable. This year, my streak broke. And it wasn't the end of the world unbelievably. I feel like I'll approach next season way more relaxed and enjoy it more than I have in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk