OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hawks hammering on decoys

Started by savedbygrace, May 11, 2023, 09:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savedbygrace

I don't hunt with decoys but a few years ago I bought a DSD jake and Avian X hen from a guy that wanted to sell them. They were in good shape and I thought I might use them in the future when my little girl was old enough to go with me. Anywho, finally got a weekend off this season and planned on hunting all day on club land. Around 11am I decided to head out for something to eat and planned on coming back later that evening. I had put the decs in the back of my truck with the thought that I would set my game camera in a grass patch that sits in the middle of a clear-cut and put the decoys in front of the camera just to see if I could get anything that would respond to them on camera while I was gone...and boy did I. Wasn't expecting to find what I did. Anyway, thought I would share.

Edit: My apologies, just saw the game camera sub section. Mods, if this thread needs to be moved there please do so. Sorry bout that.

https://imgur.com/a/OPU5CDZ

shatcher

GobbleGitr

I use decoys in the early season...3 times have had issues with hawks, saved a broken piece of plastic stake from one such incident. Joe Hutto's book Illumination In The Flatwoods gave me an appreciation for how much turkeys are ingrained with the knowledge that aerial predators are a threat

Capt long beard

At least you didn't have to suffer thinking a big ol gobbler had came in there and wrecked your decoys while you were gone.

RiverBuck

He's just practicing.. for when it starts seeing the poults.

Paulmyr

I have Hawks show up and look around quite often when calling.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

eddie234

When I'm calling and I have a hawk show up, I know I must be doing something right

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yoder409

Can't be.............

Everyone tells me that hawks only eat mice and voles and grasshoppers and jelly beans.........   ::)
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

WV Flopper

Avian predator.

Predator control, lots of fokes talking nest predators, way more than just a coon, possum and skunk. Back in the day everyone had a gun in their truck, and used it, when the opportunity arrised.

Mick2394

I've had redtails swoop at my turkey dekes and I've had kestrels smoke my voodoo dove decoys...annoying little buggers
Semper Fi