turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Honest Opinion on Pictures

Started by Sir-diealot, May 11, 2023, 01:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I had someone on another site tell me that my one picture was to dark. My eyes have a problem with things that are bright so he may be correct, so I went and redid it. I would like the opinion of those that actually know. Please be honest.

This is the first version, the one he said was to dark.

Second version

Third version

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

silvestris

I would suggest that you invest in Photoshop or less expensive Photo Elements.  Your photos look fine, but Photoshop will serve you well in many areas.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

3bailey3

guesswho

I'd vote #2, followed by #3 followed by#1. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Jbird22

I like the grass color and head coloration in 1 but prefer the feather detail in 2 and 3. I know that's probably not what you're looking for it was my first impression.

Old Timer

The first picture looks more natural light. Yes the second birds have a little more detail but grass looks a little washed. My advise is keep doing what your doing brother. your an excellent photographer. I find nothing wrong.

ruination

It is perhaps a bit dark.  Amazing photo regardless. 

I'd think #3.
.410 Favors the Bold

Sir-diealot

Quote from: silvestris on May 11, 2023, 02:36:13 PM
I would suggest that you invest in Photoshop or less expensive Photo Elements.  Your photos look fine, but Photoshop will serve you well in many areas.
These are the ones I have now, I do intend to get photoshop eventually, when it was first around I had gotten it and at that time it was a nightmare. I am told it is more user friendly now.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: 3bailey3 on May 11, 2023, 02:50:03 PM
really all 3 look good to me.
Thank you. Do you have a choice on which you like more and if so could you please let me know why? Thank you.

Quote from: guesswho on May 11, 2023, 03:02:46 PM
I'd vote #2, followed by #3 followed by#1. 
Thanks bud, could you tell me why those are your choices? Trying to figure out how others think.

Quote from: Jbird22 on May 11, 2023, 03:09:45 PM
I like the grass color and head coloration in 1 but prefer the feather detail in 2 and 3. I know that's probably not what you're looking for it was my first impression.
That is exactly what I want to hear actually, helps me understand what others like and adjust. Thank you.

Quote from: Old Timer on May 11, 2023, 03:18:07 PM
The first picture looks more natural light. Yes the second birds have a little more detail but grass looks a little washed. My advise is keep doing what your doing brother. your an excellent photographer. I find nothing wrong.
Thanks bud, the grass is what I dislike the most in both edits, I have a history of problems with greens. Thank you very much for the compliments, I want to get better at right out of the camera but I have people asking me to buy so I have to learn to edit as well.

Quote from: ruination on May 11, 2023, 03:30:06 PM
It is perhaps a bit dark.  Amazing photo regardless. 

I'd think #3.

Thank you very much.

John Koenig:

fishr64

I think #1 looks good but doesn't show the detail that the other 2 pictures do. I think that #3 is a better mixture of brightness, detail and definition. There is better sharpness in #3 with the brightness at a better level.

They're all good pictures but I'm thinking #3 is my pick Steve.

fishr64

With not seeing strong shadows, was that an overcast day?

Sir-diealot

Quote from: fishr64 on May 11, 2023, 04:17:31 PM
I think #1 looks good but doesn't show the detail that the other 2 pictures do. I think that #3 is a better mixture of brightness, detail and definition. There is better sharpness in #3 with the brightness at a better level.

They're all good pictures but I'm thinking #3 is my pick Steve.
Thank you much and for the reasoning.

Quote from: fishr64 on May 11, 2023, 04:19:28 PM
With not seeing strong shadows, was that an overcast day?
Yes sure was, had to be sure I brought the rain jacket that goes over the camera bag. It was rainy pretty much all last week except one day and I could not go that day.

John Koenig:

fishr64

I thought that was the case and what I see on my phone screen looks like an overcast day, which I would think would be difficult to get too much detail or good edges. #'s 2 and 3 are you trying to get
'sun' in the picture when it wasn't out.

I don't think it's the case now, but it could be the difference in the brightness settings on your screen versus whoever's screen. For work I have a screen setup at work and at home and with the settings being used from my laptop being the same, my screen at home is grainy and not very sharp, but the one at work looks better than my laptop. Electronics can be a pain, just like perspective.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: fishr64 on May 11, 2023, 04:37:37 PM
I thought that was the case and what I see on my phone screen looks like an overcast day, which I would think would be difficult to get too much detail or good edges. #'s 2 and 3 are you trying to get
'sun' in the picture when it wasn't out.

I don't think it's the case now, but it could be the difference in the brightness settings on your screen versus whoever's screen. For work I have a screen setup at work and at home and with the settings being used from my laptop being the same, my screen at home is grainy and not very sharp, but the one at work looks better than my laptop. Electronics can be a pain, just like perspective.

Different screens sure will make a difference as will different settings, this monitor has several different profiles as well.

As far as the details go they do make a flash with a diffuser (shield to dull the flash some) to help but I have not delved into that yet and I think they are used more for songbirds than wild turkey. I guess they have a very limited range as well. I do have a flash for taking pictures of people, but it is a little different as I understand it.

John Koenig:

guesswho

You asked why my choices were in the order they were.   Actually 2 and 3 were a tossup.  I like to zoom in and see detail.   Zoom in on #1 and look at the chest of the gobblers.   It just looks black with no separation of colors.   Now zoom in on the other two.   I can see the black tips and the other colors.  And it looks even slightly more pronounced in #2. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff