OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Thoughts on killing doubles (two hunters together)

Started by Mountainburd, May 10, 2023, 06:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

I kind of feel the same way. I also feel bad when too many birds get killed in the same drainage or area. To me one of the saddest parts of turkey hunting is going into an area that used to always have gobblers and there not being turkeys there anymore.  I don't know if they all get killed or just move on to different areas but it's a bummer. I want those hills and hollows to be ringing with gobbles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aclawrence

That being said if I'm on a farm with lots of turkeys and me and my son get a chance to double I think we'll go for it. It would be a fun memory for sure.

Gobblechicken4

I've been fortunate to do it a few times with a partner. I Choose not to do it hunting by myself. One a day is fine.

But I have had the privilege to double with one of my kids and that is 100% my best hunting memory. If I could repeat it I would.
I hope to have a chance to double with the other kids as well and I think I would not miss the chance to try and make the same memory with the others as I have the oldest.

Yoder409

Two hunters........... two tags........... No problemo with me.

Me and my Cuz a week ago today..........

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

runngun

In each situation, the population controls what I would do. The hunters who are involved, if legal and there's good numbers, go for it. Just got back from a hunt where I was involved in a double. The Hunters were me and my Daddy. My Daddy is 71 years old and he is in bad health. Oh man the emotions!!!!
I plan on trying to do a little write up in the near future, oh man it's not going to be easy but I really want to share it with y'all. Just writing this little bit is rough.

Have a good one and May God bless y'all, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

jhoward11

Everything being legal, then I say 1,2,3,shoot. Or is it shoot on 3, or is your buddy gonna shoot on 2 so he get's his for sure. Haven't actually had that opportunity yet, but if it reared it's red head, then so be it. Birds down!

turkey stew

Heck, in my area I can't strike up one bird anymore! We are only allowed one and the hunting is getting worse! The rest of you hunters shoot them all until you end up like me. Its legal, have at it.

Marc

Really depends on the situation.

If I am hunting an area that has a high population of birds, and I call a bachelor group of toms in while hunting with my daughter....  Yes, I will take the double.

Hunting the area I was this season...  Large area, sparsely populated with birds that are spread out...  I would probably not opt to take that double, so that I have birds being raised to shoot in future hunting seasons.

It has been my impression, that if too many toms are taken from an area, the hens move out to new areas as well...  And maybe they do not return next year either.  A good property can turn into a poor one the following season, by overharvesting.

I do tire of hearing "If it is legal, it is OK..."  We should be the stewards of our sport.  Hunt ethically, responsibly, with conservation in mind...  Just cause it would be legal to shoot the last breeding tom on a property, does not mean it would be the right thing to do.

My reasons for conservation, or harvesting animals are completely selfish.  Of course I want to go home with a bird, but I also want somewhere that holds game in the future.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

squidd

stinkpickle

No issue here.  My son and I did that last Sunday.  I let him drop a tom first, but another one decided to stick around and hump the flopping corpse, so I shot him. 

Clif Owen

I don't have an issue with it. I was going to do it once with a buddy but he got greedy and was checking each out looking for the best one and let every one walk across until the last one hit the logging road. After he shot, they ran off but one eased back out to look from the thicket and my buddy was in the way so I couldn't shoot.
Now, here's a thing none of you have considered..there is no guarantee that the birds you let walk will be there next year. B (my partner) let several jakes walk one year...I'm talking like 10 to 12 in a couple of spots. We thought we were going to really enjoy the next season. Only problem was the next year; there didn't seem to be a bird within miles of either of those spots. No gobbles, no tracks..nothing. No idea what happened but we think the birds either had a die off or were trapped and relocated. 

Chief Razor

I have no problem with two hunters doubling. If it were legal to take two a day with a single hunter I personally would not.

Zobo

I'm against killing even one hunter, let alone two hunters together! :TooFunny:
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

justin.arps

My son and I have doubled twice now, both were very close encounters. First was 14 yds the next was 22 both were amazing experiences.

Zobo

Quote from: justin.arps on May 11, 2023, 09:14:05 PM

My son and I have doubled twice now, both were very close encounters. First was 14 yds the next was 22 both were amazing experiences.

Beautiful! Congratulations!!!!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14