OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Thoughts on killing doubles (two hunters together)

Started by Mountainburd, May 10, 2023, 06:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

Not into killing more than one per sit. I prefer to stretch my hunting out. However, I have killed two gobblers in two different states on the same day on multiple occasions

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

g8rvet

If presented with the opportunity, I would double with a partner-no qualms.  Makes no difference to the population if you go out and kill another one on the same day at a different set up (or season for that matter).  With that said, I have had numerous opportunities over the years where I did not even raise my gun, but mostly because I wanted the person I was hunting with to get a bird as the primary objective. 

Two at the same time by myself?  I guess it will be a game time decision, but I doubt it.  Maybe. I don't know.  Have not had that many years where it was legal, so I have had plenty of chances, just not legal. Not sure what I will do but honestly, if it is late season, I have an extra to kill and I am hunting a good population, I might.  It would only end my solo season, but I hunt with others a lot and would have just as much fun leaving the gun at home.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Stumpy13

Myself and a hunting buddy shot a double this year . I really didn't see it as a harm to the population due to the fact that we Oklahomans have a one bird limit. We drive 3 1/2 hours to hunt that area due to the fact that the population in that county is pretty high. We didn't hunt another of our spots this year at all as our cameras could only verify 3 Toms and 2 Jake's on that property . It would have been over 2 hours closer but we felt it was best to wait and see if the population expands . Nevertheless I get just as excited hunting them with the game camera . I will conclude by saying that is the first time we have shot a double in our 30+ years of hunting .

zelmo1

I hunt with my wife a lot. If we can double, we do. If one comes in, it's her shot. Just our way. Z

ruination

Exclusively hunting public land, this year I've yet to run into another solo hunter.  Multiple pairs and one of them did double.up on some birds they roosted.

On public land...it feels like a real quick population drop. 

I get the appeal of hunting with a buddy and sharing the experience.  But man it hurts seeing two go down at once on public.
.410 Favors the Bold

sasquatch1

Quote from: ruination on May 10, 2023, 08:56:25 PM
Exclusively hunting public land, this year I've yet to run into another solo hunter.  Multiple pairs and one of them did double.up on some birds they roosted.

I get the appeal of hunting with a buddy and sharing the experience.  But man it hurts seeing two go down at once on public.
I'd bet most people hunting like that help the population more than hurt it (aka spook/save more birds)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gooserbat

For the tandem hunters to each take one then go for it.  For the one guy to take more than one im not into it.  I've done it and honestly in hindsight I felt like I cheated myself.  I've also taken doubles with friends when we both shot one and I enjoyed our accomplishment. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

hawkeye1958

Two hunters, two tags, two downed birds.

I have no problem with that.

Sir-diealot

Mixed feelings to be honest, if it is the same person shooting two birds then no, I do not like it at all but if it is two friends and they each get one then that is a bit easier to tolerate but I still feel uneasy about it I guess. It is illegal here for a hunter to take two birds in the same day by the way.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Coop1082

Me and my father usually aim to get a double together every season. To be fair where the hunt takes place is a revolving door. High density, there are always 4-5+ longbeards in the area with a bumper crop of jakes yearly. Doesn't feel like we are hurting the area any by doing it and it's usually the most memorable hunt of the year for both of us.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Coop1082 on May 11, 2023, 09:11:48 AM
Me and my father usually aim to get a double together every season. To be fair where the hunt takes place is a revolving door. High density, there are always 4-5+ longbeards in the area with a bumper crop of jakes yearly. Doesn't feel like we are hurting the area any by doing it and it's usually the most memorable hunt of the year for both of us.
That's the kind of situation where I say lay with it. Not like if you noticed a population suffering you wouldn't back off. Not like knowing a population is suffering and going in and shooting a pair of grouped up two year olds in a large public tract that might hold three birds. Its all situational. Glad you and your dad are still able to hunt together and enjoy the time spent afield. Hope you double up this year as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coop1082

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 11, 2023, 09:22:39 AM
Quote from: Coop1082 on May 11, 2023, 09:11:48 AM
That's the kind of situation where I say lay with it. Not like if you noticed a population suffering you wouldn't back off. Not like knowing a population is suffering and going in and shooting a pair of grouped up two year olds in a large public tract that might hold three birds. Its all situational. Glad you and your dad are still able to hunt together and enjoy the time spent afield. Hope you double up this year as well.

I concur and we did on 2nd morning of the season this year already! We've been hunting it for about 6 or so years now and it's just one of those spots that somehow always seems to have a great hatch, birds survive and flourish, and there aren't any other hunters in the area. Perfect storm. If we ever felt it was dipping in numbers or we were taking too many, we would back off in a heartbeat. It's a great slump spot. If your short on gobbles and just need to remember what one sounds like, it's the place to be. Lol.

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

ruination

Quote from: sasquatch1 on May 10, 2023, 10:38:41 PM
Quote from: ruination on May 10, 2023, 08:56:25 PM

I'd bet most people hunting like that help the population more than hurt it (aka spook/save more birds)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You're probably right in the long run.  And two chuckleheads did exactly that opening morning with their spotlights.

And I really have no idea why it bothers me other than two birds dying instead of one.

Strictly on killing more on a public resource than really should have been in my mind I suppose.
.410 Favors the Bold

captpete

Here it is illegal for one person to kill more than one bird a day/season. The only exceptions to that rule is if you have 2 archery only tags or 2 gun/bow 4th season tags. If you can kill 2 birds in the same day with a bow all I can say is congrats and good job! The same goes for for killing 2 birds in the same day during 4th season after they have been chased for at least 3 weeks. Again, congrats & good job.

My buddy and I have doubled several times. If we both have tags, both are carry a gun and 2 birds come in, more than likely 2 birds are going for a truck ride. The same goes if I'm hunting with my wife.

I guess I don't see the issue with killing  2 birds at one sit or you kill the second one an hour or 2 later, maybe even the next day...they are both dead. Around here, if some hunts a timber 1st season, more than likely some else will hunt that same timber 2nd season and then someone else 3rd season. Lets say my buddy & I pass on a double in 1st season and don't hunt that timber again. There is a good chance that the people hunting 2nd or 3rd season will kill the "survivor". Not to sound greedy, but if both birds are going to be dead anyway, why wouldn't we fill both of our tags?

Last year my buddy I shot a double 1st season. There were 3 other people that hunted the same timber during 2nd season and 2 other people hunted it 3rd season.

Turkeybutt

I don't have a problem with two hunters in the same setup or blind each shooting a turkey.
Your both hunting, you both have a tag so what does it matter?
I'm opposed to somebody shooting two birds in one sit. Take your time, enjoy the game and come back tomorrow or the next day and play again.