OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Thoughts on killing doubles (two hunters together)

Started by Mountainburd, May 10, 2023, 06:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountainburd

I'm just curious what everyone's thoughts are on killing doubles. I'm not talking about separated kills in different areas the same say, I'm talking about the same set. Anymore I really feel like if multiple birds get called in, only 1 should be shot. I just have such mixed feelings anymore about hearing stories and watching videos where hunters shoot a bird, then they quickly start calling again to try and bring the second or how ever many birds are still there back into range for a shot. It just seems excessive to me.

I think for me so much of it is protecting the population, but it's also like they deserve to see another day. I recognize that the population in the area dictates the decision to shoot more than one bird.

Im sure some will disagree and that's fine. Just curious on your thoughts.

ChesterCopperpot

It's no longer legal in the states I hunt, but when I'm hunting with a partner we won't shoot doubles either. I also won't hunt the same area where I've already taken a gobbler earlier in the season. Those are just personal choices. A lot of states with two bird limits, ethics aside, I can't imagine wanting my season to end that quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bedge7767

Jim

Canadian

Yeah brother, I'm with you. My simple thought is two birds in one hunt, doesn't make it any more of a thrill. I get the same excitement from killing one as i do two. Id rather leave the other and hunt him another day, or leave him for someone else. Plus, like you said, for the sake of conservation, in a time where turkey numbers are on a downward trend, killing two in one very moment like that is just ridiculous. I think that for a lot of people, its a status thing, and killing more birds is more important to them then hunting. I say this coming from myself, who once thought in a similar way. I actually stopped posting social media pictures a couple years ago, because 'killing' was becoming more important to me than hunting, and 'status' was effecting my pride. Im not saying this to boast, as I still struggle with this, and im no better a person than the rest. However, every year the turkey humbles me a little more.

Anyways, bit of a ramble, and a bit off topic, so to summarize: i agree with you, and also feel strongly about this topic. I think you and i are probably a minority, as a lot of turkey hunters today (95% of the ones ive met) pride themselves in long range shooting and slaughter. Im interested to see if your post gets much feedback. I guess that the decisions and opinions of others dont necessarily effect us, and theyre free to do what they want, so, beyond sharing our opinion, nothing good comes from disrespecting others.

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

ChesterCopperpot

I think if you lived in a place with very high densities, fine. Likewise, if you only hunt one particular piece of private and plan to kill two birds off that space in the same season, I don't know that it would affect much to shoot both at one time, outside of the fact that you might not get a bird called up again and may burn that tag if you held off (a potentially good thing for turkeys). Again, I wouldn't do it but that's just me. I live in a place with very low densities, particularly on public, and with a population that is trending downward noticeably. We always talk about the decline and that's because the majority of us are hunting the southeast, but there are places in the country that still have exploding populations and very high numbers. I don't get to travel so that's not my scenario. All becomes highly situational I guess is what I'm trying to say.

ManfromGreenSwamp

I've done it several times out of pure greed as a younger man. I no longer want my season to end that soon (if early season).

Real talk

"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

Canadian

Quote from: ManfromGreenSwamp on May 10, 2023, 07:32:46 AM
I've done it several times out of pure greed as a younger man. I no longer want my season to end that soon (if early season).

Real talk

Well put. Im with you on that, which is why i feel the way i feel. Ive been there.

joey46

Can be a big difference between what is ethical, in some people's mind, and legal.  Myself and my usual hunting partner, when hunting together, have shot a few doubles over 17 Florida seasons. I'm remembering four.  Never really gave it much thought.  Nothing I intend to fret about.  I'll leave this discussion and watch the replies.  This forum is a hoot at times.  IMO some of you have way too much time on your hands. LOL.

arkrem870

I agree....killing one is as exciting as killing two. I've doubled many times over the years. And I may again one day. But I've passed multiple opportunities this season. With the current pressure situation I think some need to be left for seed more than ever
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

Mountainburd

Sorry I'm talking specifically about two hunters sitting together.

ManfromGreenSwamp

* Killing doubles as a group /  with a hunting partner ...

all day if presented that opportunity

Just no longer as a solo hunter

"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

Canadian

Quote from: Mountainburd on May 10, 2023, 07:43:19 AM
Sorry I'm talking specifically about two hunters sitting together.
If theres two hunters, and im one of them, i wont shoot a double. Ill just let my partner shoot. However, if im guiding 2 new hunters, and a double presents itself, 'whoop em boys'. Again, location and context plays a big role too tho. Again, as the second hunter, i wont shoot a double. Am i ok with others doing it? Probably.

Gobbler428

Where killing two birds at the same time is legal I think it becomes a personal, ethical matter and each person has to make up their own mind if they want to kill one or two. Just because its legal does not make it "the right thing to do". Again, that's a personal decision we all have to make. Over the years I have had many opportunities to kill two birds at the same time but have always decided not to do so, I don't need to kill two and had rather save the other bird to hunt next season or for someone else to hunt this year or next. I have also not taken shots on birds when calling in multiple birds because I could not get a clean shot without one bird being too close to the other in fear of killing or wounding the other bird. That's why they call it turkey hunting, not turkey killing. Please understand that I do not hold any animosity with anyone who does shoot two birds where legal,like i said, it's a personal matter and that's cool if that's what they choose to do.

guesswho

When I partner up on a hunt I'm never #1 trigger man.  I won't double, period.   But don't have an issue with people who do so.  Now I have no problem giving the survivor and hour or so then try to kill him in another location.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

ShortMagFan

I've done it twice.  Once many years ago with the friend i hunted the most with at the time.  It was the classic 1-2-3 BOOM.  It was a very memorable moment.

The 2nd was an accident.  Gobbler flew down, peaked over small rise in hill.  I shot him.  When i walked up to him there were 2 flopping.  I felt bad about that but was an honest mistake.