turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lesson learned, the hard way

Started by Smeds, May 08, 2023, 12:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smeds

April 21st was a sight-in day before I left for my annual KY/IN hunt.  I try to do this every year to start out.  Weatherby SA-459 Turkey I bought back in 2017, with a Vortex Venom on top.  I threw a target up at 25, and was low with field loads.  Dialed the red-dot in, then moved the target to 35.  Pretty good, so decided to throw a couple TSS through to make darn sure, and to see the difference between Heavyweight 7's and the 9's from another ammo manufacturer.  7's hit great, devastating pattern.  Up next was the 9's.  I had the shotgun in a lead-sled on the tailgate of my truck.  Pulled the trigger, and felt my hand and side of my face stinging.  WTH?  The pellets went downrange, but looking at the gun the shell was blown apart ... the back of the brass was now just a separated flat coin, the walls of the brass had a nick in one side, and the plastic was badly deformed ... with nothing ejected, it was stuck in the receiver.  A little closer inspection and the carrier plate was blown almost 30 degrees down, the action wouldn't work, and I had about 30 little spots on my fingers/back of hand that were starting to bleed.  Went inside, and I had a few spots on my face that were the same.   

When I bought the gun, the dealer asked if I wanted the box.  He told me the choke tubes and wrench were already in the case I dropped off, so I elected not to take the box (usually toss them anyway once the box is empty).  After this malfunction, I took the gun to a local gunsmith.  He confirmed what I feared ... the gun failed, not the ammo.  Turns out this gun came with a light load and heavy load gas piston, and the dealer installed the light-load one.  Where the heavy load piston went is a mystery that will never be solved, that particular FFL sold the business since I bought the gun. 

I shot 8 turkeys with it since new, and probably threw another 5-6 rounds through it sighting in each year.  With the light load piston in there, I was basically beating the ever-loving crap out of the gun each trigger pull.  Gunsmith said the bolt was broken, one rail carrying it was broken, the carrier plate was ruined and there was a hole in the bottom of the trigger assembly.  I had sent that trigger to Rob Roberts when new, as well as the barrel for lengthening the forcing cone.  Now?  Wrecked beyond repair ... or at least repair at a reasonable cost.

I ended up picking up a Franchi Affinity 3 turkey before my season(s) started.

Bagged a bird in Indiana on the opener on an in-laws family farm, then another bird in KY later in the week.  The new gun works, and except for the weird sling slot on the stock ... I like it.  I am bummed that the SA-459 is no longer, as I loved that gun.

In reality, I'm darn lucky it didn't go worse.  Lesson learned, take the box and "trust, but verify".
I don't mind my wife having the last word ... in fact I'm usually delighted when she gets to it.

USMC0331

Glad your okay!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Lcmacd 58

Your very lucky .... that was a small mistake that could have been much worse ....
Glad your ok

sswv

hate to hear that. a few years back I wanted a Taurus Tracker in .357mag     LGS had one so I brought it home with a smile. couldn't wait to shoot it so me and a buddy headed to the bench and I started sending rounds down range. like yourself I felt a sting but to the side of my face. my buddy said holy crap your face is bleeding. ended up being a timing issue with the cylinder plus blowback from the ported barrel. I sent it back and had it repaired and got rid of it ASAP.  no need for a ported handgun ever again and, thank goodness for safety glasses

g8rvet

I have that gun and have the spare light load (heavy is in it).  I read folks saying to shoot a bunch of shells through it to break it in (light loads), but they would not feed the heavy ferrule (that's what mine looks like).  I guess I won't know until I know.  I might just not give this one to one of my grandsons then one day. 

Glad you are okay.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

strum

Glad your ok .. Also glad to know about that gun. makes me wonder .. One day someone will pick one of those up used at a pawn shop and not know anything about a light or heavy load piston.  I would not have.
  Sounds like some bad things can happen

Smeds

Full disclosure, I only really blame me ... not the gun.  Maybe a little fraction towards the old gun dealer, but with weapons we should know them inside and out.  Just thought a share might save it from happening again ... I own this one.
I don't mind my wife having the last word ... in fact I'm usually delighted when she gets to it.