turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Red dot reflex recommendations

Started by mdmitchell, May 08, 2023, 08:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olemossyhorns

Vortex Venom has served me well for 4 years now, but will be trying a Holosun on my next one.

BDeal

I bought a Franchi 20 gauge this year as well and have had a ton of problems. I hope yours works out better for you than mine did. I plan on upgrading to a Mossberg SA20 in the off season. I bought 2 FF3's this year as well. One for me and one for my son. I like everything about them but changing the battery. I had to send one back for a replacement because the battery cap would not go on. If you do some searches you will see there is a major design flaw here. I will say that Burris is great about replacing them. My next reflex will be a Vortex Venom or Holoson with the green circle dot.

3bailey3

A question for those that use the ones with a green dot, how does that work out when a bird is in a green field that is in the back ground?

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: 3bailey3 on May 10, 2023, 08:53:17 PM
A question for those that use the ones with a green dot, how does that work out when a bird is in a green field that is in the back ground?
No issue at all for me. My eyes don't strain with the green reticle.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

mdmitchell

Quote from: BDeal on May 10, 2023, 08:03:21 PM
I bought a Franchi 20 gauge this year as well and have had a ton of problems. I hope yours works out better for you than mine did. I plan on upgrading to a Mossberg SA20 in the off season. I bought 2 FF3's this year as well. One for me and one for my son. I like everything about them but changing the battery. I had to send one back for a replacement because the battery cap would not go on. If you do some searches you will see there is a major design flaw here. I will say that Burris is great about replacing them. My next reflex will be a Vortex Venom or Holoson with the green circle dot.
What kind of problems? I hadn't read a single bad report on these guns which is why I decided on it.

SM

I like my SA-20 Turkey,shoots and patterns great. My Affinity,? usually just stays in the safe,I like my Stoeger M3020 better.
With the FF3's,and Vortex Venom,use Duracell batteries, better fit and the battery cover is easier to get on. Also,use a the biggest blade screwdriver that fits the slot,and turn back first until you feel the cover
kind of click in and then tighten. 

I have a Vortex Venom and a Holosun 507C. both have worked fine,but do wish they were green dots instead of red.I have a cheap ADE green dot that to me, is easier to see. I'd get the Holosun in green if I were to get a new one.

BDeal

Quote from: mdmitchell on May 10, 2023, 10:46:41 PM
What kind of problems? I hadn't read a single bad report on these guns which is why I decided on it.

If you do a search in the forum you will see a lot of issues reported. Cycling issues, jamming, feeding, loading, misfires (the famous Bennelli click), etc. There are also many reports on how the trigger has excessive creep. I provided the link to one post below but there are more. I will say that mine does shoot a nice pattern when it actually fires but has been an absolute POS and I would never own another.

https://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,112213.msg1116914/topicseen.html#msg1116914

ManfromGreenSwamp

Quote from: 3bailey3 on May 10, 2023, 08:53:17 PM
My Trijicon has the green triangle. I bought it for that reason prior to swampfox offering one.

I absolutely love it. There are zero issues seeing the green, ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

mdmitchell

Wound up going with the vortex venom. Found a guy locally with a bunch of amazon returns of them and got a brand new one for $140.

But question- anyone have astigmatism issues with these? Damn red dots always look starbursted and distorted. I've heard greens are better?

runngun

I also have astigmatism, I have several red dot sights and I have found it depends on what brand they are.  I have a Sig red dot that I see a star burst...but I have Trijicon and Burris FF3 and I dot is clean and clear!!!!  Also no problem at all with Holosun.

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

nyhunter

I have a vortex venom and looking at it from the front, "a turkey's view" it has a red color to it, does anyone else's have this red color? I got to believe this will spook a turkey. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this? 

Dtrkyman

Which swampfox has a triangle reticle?

ManfromGreenSwamp

Quote from: Dtrkyman on May 13, 2023, 08:40:15 AM
Which swampfox has a triangle reticle?
I may have misspoken.
I thought they did, but now that you ask, I'm kinda remembering it may have been a hollow green circle. I definitely remember them offering something green and at the time that's what I was wanting.

It's been a couple years and my brain isn't what it once was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

FL-Boss

Quote from: nyhunter on May 12, 2023, 01:58:23 PM
I have a vortex venom and looking at it from the front, "a turkey's view" it has a red color to it, does anyone else's have this red color? I got to believe this will spook a turkey. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

I don't think the red dot itself bothers them... more the orange reflective coating on the glass (all the dots have this) I'm pretty sure I had some birds starting to bug out on me a few weeks because they saw this...

USMC0331

Depending on the type of red dot you use , there are several companies that make " kill flash" covers for them. I've been using a red dot for a few years now without it, and I have not had a problem with the turkey getting spooknfrom it or the reflection it gives off.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk