turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shotgun safety location

Started by DirtNap647, May 07, 2023, 07:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverBuck

NDZ makes an upgrade if you're into something like that.

Spurs Up

Quote from: howl on May 07, 2023, 08:03:02 PM
..., a pig will fight you to stay in a sty. Mud and filth are what it is used to. Pigs just don't know any better.

:z-winnersmiley:  Well put and colorful description of what are known as endowment or mere ownership effects. Seems to describe most product discussions here.

Farmboy27

Behind the trigger safeties are most common because it's the cheapest way to do it. Economy is the only reason. Most shotguns, especially those sold to Americans are made cheaply as possible even when dressed up and sold as high end. So, most people start out with the most common type of safety.

Tang safeties are superior for all the obvious reasons. However, a pig will fight you to stay in a sty. Mud and filth are what it is used to. Pigs just don't know any better.
We will definitely have to agree to disagree on that!!  Trigger safety's are more foolproof and solid in design. They literally block the trigger.  And it's not just an American feature!  Beretta and benelli( and all their sub companies) use trigger guard safety's. Mossberg and browning are really the only tang safety shotguns in popular production.  And the brownings are only on the bps! 

g8rvet

I have tangs on all my O/U and a behind trigger on my SA 459.  If the turkey hears the safety, it will be the last thing he hears.  Most times I don't even recall taking it off.   As long as the safety works, it does not matter much where it is to me.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

sswv

polk stocks with hammers and Remington's with the slide bar safety is about all I've ever used. I did modify the safety springs on the Remington's to quiet it down a bit. safety still does the job perfect but without that horrible snap sound when pushing it off.

Paulmyr

Tang safeties are superior for all the obvious reasons. However, a pig will fight you to stay in a sty. Mud and filth are what it is used to. Pigs just don't know any better.

Ever had an accidental discharge from a gun with a tang safety while walking through brush? I have and it's eye opening to say the least.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

grayfox

I've used guns over the years with tang safeties, & push button safeties front & back of the trigger guard. I prefer the ones on the trigger guard myself but it's mostly what you get used to. I'm perfectly happy with the one on my 870 Express.

Gooserbat

I like a rear trigger guard safety but it's what ever you get used to.  I don't like it with a pistol grip as said before it requires a lot of movement for a quiet push.  I once had my old 870 scare a bird that was probably 80-100 yards.  Never again will I just push it off without doing the two finger quiet punch.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Brillo

I have not had a tang safety accidentally discharge but that would be a deal breaker for me.  I do have several guns with rear trigger safety and the one with a pistol grip annoys me.  I will be changing out the pistol grip because of that issue and to enhance ease of carry.  Love the gun otherwise.

captpete

WV Flopper

I took have never had one to accidentally discharge.

Most likely due to it being place on fire and not noticed. I do not see how one would gravitate UP. Or, get accidentally pushed up, I do see someone forgetting or not checking while loading.

Greg Massey

Never had a problem with safety and pistol grip stocks and I've been using them for YEARSSSS ....

Paulmyr

Quote from: WV Flopper on May 08, 2023, 07:08:17 PM
I took have never had one to accidentally discharge.

Most likely due to it being place on fire and not noticed. I do not see how one would gravitate UP. Or, get accidentally pushed up, I do see someone forgetting or not checking while loading.

The Ruger Red Label I used to own had an automatic safety that engaged when the breach was opened. Not possible for me to load it and forget the safety. The small wood lot we pushed had no birds in it so no reason for the safety to be off other than from being put on my shoulder or from brush catching and moving it as the gun was never mounted. Didn't really break my heart when it was stolen.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.