OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shotgun safety location

Started by DirtNap647, May 07, 2023, 07:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

Looking for list of shotguns that have a thumb safety. I use to hunt mossberg 935 loved that thumb safety great for turkey hunting. Went to a benelli super black eagle with pistol grip and that safety is hidden. Have to take your hand off gun find it use two fingers to eliminate loud click. Don't understand why they don't do tang safety on more turkey guns.

krm944

I grew up with the Mossberg tang safety on the 500s. It's my preference as well. I do have an 835 pistol grip Turkey gun and do not find it ergonomic.

If you were raised with the 870, you hate the tang safety!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

I agree i hate the tang safety ...

davisd9

Mossberg or BPS. Always been a big fan of the thumb safety for turkey hunting.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Spurs Up

Quote from: krm944 on May 07, 2023, 07:40:51 AM
I grew up with the Mossberg tang safety on the 500s. It's my preference as well. I do have an 835 pistol grip Turkey gun and do not find it ergonomic.

If you're talking about a perpendicular pistol grip, use of a tang safety inefficiently requires you to move your hand from the grip (unless you have freakishly long thumbs). With virtually any other grip style, a tang allows use only of the thumb minimizing movement and tends to be quieter when shifting to the fire position. Conventional safeties that are integrated into trigger guards can be activated to "fire" positions using a single digit but I've never used one that didn't have an excessively loud click if you used only your trigger finger. Because of this I've always found it necessary to use both my index finger and thumb to dampen the noise. The downside of that is that it inefficiency requires me to move my strong hand from the grip. Excess movement is not good.

DirtNap647

Quote from: krm944 on May 07, 2023, 07:40:51 AM

You are right...I grew up with an 835. Mossberg makes good turkey guns

HookedonHooks

Mossberg's shotguns that aren't Turkish made (the SA series guns) all have a tang safety. Browning BPS also have the tang safety. Some old New Haven/Westernfield that were manufactured by Mossberg will as well.

I'm not sure whether I prefer tang over trigger guard, but I am a little partial to the tang being that my first turkey gun was a Mossberg 500 20 gauge. Not sure if it's a preference though, as I love a good Remington 870.

Bedge7767

Worst gun I ever had was an automatic Mossberg. The pumps are reliable guns and the 835 will kick your face in.
Jim

WV Flopper

I am a lefty.

I started with a 835 on their first model " Tang Safety" got rid of that and went to a BPS "Tang Safety".

My sons Benelli M2 has a behind the trigger safety. I hate it! I am 35 years into a tang safety, what would you expect???

IMO, tangs are far superior.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: Bedge7767 on May 07, 2023, 02:31:08 PM
Worst gun I ever had was an automatic Mossberg. The pumps are reliable guns and the 835 will kick your face in.
I would debate this opinion on account that the recently released Mossberg 940 Pro Turkey's are some of the finest built turkey guns ever made, especially the 18.5" barrel model. If you find yourself in the market for another turkey gun in 12 gauge, it's definitely one to consider.

The 5500, 9200, and 935's have certainly been hit or miss over the years, I will agree with you on that.

Ranman

I have two shotguns with pistol grips and safety is behind the trigger. With my hand in the ready position on the grip, and my index/trigger finger pointed straight towards the muzzle, the safety hits the palm side of my first knuckle from the hand. Keeping my finge straight, I can push off the safety with no click. Finger never touches trigger till ready to shoot. I also oil the safety and work it back and forth several times to smooth it up.
Randy

Jroddc

I'm not a fan of tang safety. Have a Mossberg with a tang safety that from time to time if I have it over my shoulder on a sling the safety gets knocked off not sure exactly how.

Bedge7767

Quote from: HookedonHooks on May 07, 2023, 05:03:16 PM
Quote from: Bedge7767 on May 07, 2023, 02:31:08 PM
I would debate this opinion on account that the recently released Mossberg 940 Pro Turkey's are some of the finest built turkey guns ever made, especially the 18.5" barrel model. If you find yourself in the market for another turkey gun in 12 gauge, it's definitely one to consider.

The 5500, 9200, and 935's have certainly been hit or miss over the years, I will agree with you on that.

This wasn't an opinion. It was the worst shotgun I've ever had.
Jim

Farmboy27

I personally hate tang safety's on shotguns. People always talk about trigger guard safety's being loud. I've never personally heard one loud enough to spook a turkey at 30 yards. Sure, you may think that it's loud when you snap it off a foot from your ear. Also, there is always the 2 finger option already mentioned if you're concerned about it. If you have a particularly stiff tang safety it's not only going to be just as noisy, but require more force and movement to disengage. Just my opinion

howl

Behind the trigger safeties are most common because it's the cheapest way to do it. Economy is the only reason. Most shotguns, especially those sold to Americans are made cheaply as possible even when dressed up and sold as high end. So, most people start out with the most common type of safety.

Tang safeties are superior for all the obvious reasons. However, a pig will fight you to stay in a sty. Mud and filth are what it is used to. Pigs just don't know any better.