OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Benelli M1 Super 90 problem?

Started by Ridge Rooster, May 06, 2023, 02:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridge Rooster

Needing help with my Benelli M1 Super 90.

Let me start by saying I have been trying to accumulate parts to put together my perfect turkey gun, at least to me. I bought a used M1 Super 90 steady grip gun several years ago. It came with a 24" barrel and I recently purchased a 21" M2 barrel. I sold 24" and original M1 forearm. Bought an M2 forearm because I did not want to mess with fitting the M1 forearm to the M2 barrel. I installed a Wolfe Heavy Recoil spring and installed a Taran Tactical spring kit to lighten the trigger pull. Then sent it all off to have it dipped in MO Old School Bottom land.  Awseome looking gun and patterns great with my Indian Creek .665.

Here lies the issue. I got gun out today to get it ready for an out of state hunt, used others during our states season. Had previously only shot gun loaded 1 at a time in the action then depressing the loading button on side, never putting a round into the mag tube. Today I figured I better check function and that is when I found the problem. It will fire and extract the shell in the chamber but the one in the mag only partially comes out of the mag tube and will not push it up into battery, leaving it laying somewhat jammed on the shell lifter. It will not do this every time but does frequently. Needless to say it will not be going this year.

Any ideas what could be going on? Who is the best gunsmith for Benelli guns?

Thanks
Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

DocHolliday

For starters, pull the mag cap, spring retainer, plug and spring. Examine for rust . Run a patch down magazine tube. Repeat with one lightly oiled. Spray spring. Reassemble. Oil carrier.  Likely will solve issue.

Guns are hydro dipped. A lot of people don't dry and lube the guns, especially "hidden " parts and just return to customer who unknowingly thinks all is well. That mechanism is pretty bulletproof so Id start simple.

Ridge Rooster

First thing I did. Pulled spring out ran a mop with oil through mag tube and cleaned thoroughly. Fill like something is going on with the lifter? Possibly damaged something when installing trigger springs? Another issue is the Freedom Fighter Tactical M2 forearm is a little more loose than I like, and yes washers are installed properly. Wander if I can add an extra? Gonna call FFT Monday and tell them about issue. Curious if the M1 forearm would be a better fit against the M1 receiver? As like I mentioned its an M2 Barrel and M2 Forearm on M1 receiver.

Forgot to mention I stretched spring in mag tube a little but problem was prior to that and after. Sometimes cycles loads okay but my turkey loads no. My other M1 straight stock gun cycles them fine. I even shot some low brass laods through my problem gun and they actually cycled which was a surprise being I installed the Heavy spring.

Thanks
Ridge Rooster

Ranman

After cleaning as Doc suggests, my consider new magazine spring.

Ranman

Are the turkey loads (shell) a little longer?

Ridge Rooster

It did with handloads and factory 3" and no they cycle through manually fine. I wonder if something is going on with the carrier spring? I will pull trigger out tomorrow and check. Any ideas on the loose forearm??

Thanks
Ridge Rooster

Ridge Rooster

Ordered another forearm washer to try and fix that, Midway had them for 12 bucks so I figured it would be worth a try.

Ridge Rooster

Ridge Rooster

Reason I suspect the Carrier is that I noticed a little bit of a hang up loading accasionally like it will not move all the way up to allow shells to go in straight.

Ridge Rooster

Ridge Rooster

Got advice from another forum and come to find out that my problem may have been caused by my Led Sled. I just went out and fired 12 field loads and 3 turkey loads from my shoulder and gun functioned fine. Never thought about issue before as I am sure I have fired Benelli's off the sled before with a round in mag but there must be something with this gun that doesn't like it. I did install a heavy recoil Wolfe recoil spring in it as I do all my Benelli's that I am turkey or waterfowl hunting with. My other M1 seems to cycle fine on the Sled but this gun does not. It will eject fine just not load another from mag.

Still have issue with loose forearm which is a Freedom Fighter Tactical M2 clone. I did take a few strips of electric tape on either inside of the forearm where the barrel lug meets forearm but I feel like I should not have to do that?

Ridge Rooster

Ridge Rooster

Problem was the FFT forearm as it must be slightly out of spec? I borrowed a forearm from a buddy of mine that is a factory Benelli M2 Forearm and it fit perfect without a hint of wiggle.

That has fixed the forearm issue other than I will have to send it of for camo dip to match but at least that fixed.

The banging of the brass on the receiver ejection port is excessive and has really damaged my new camo finish. My other 6 Benelli's do not show this wear in the spot that this particular gun does so I know something is off slightly. Any ideas on what can change this issue? I did install a heavy WOLfe recoil spring and wondering if that may have caused the issue but in the other 5 or 6 that I have installed the heavier spring I have had no such issue. Could it be the handload?

I may try some different handloads but the damage to the finish has been done but I would like to keep it from getting worse. I may try and put some type of tape or paint the effected area with some type of harder epoxy? Any suggestions?? I know I am annal about this but I thin anyone who has just paid for a dip job and had this happening would be also.

Thanks
Ridge Rooster

Ridge Rooster

Ordered a factory spring to replace the extra power spring and we will see if that cures the problem.

Ridge Rooster

runngun

I have seen this problem with inertia guns shot in a lead sled. I explained that inertia guns need rearward movement to a friend, he argued with me, until I took his gun a held it to a 6×6 fence post and it absolutely failed to cycle.  As a matter of fact he owes me $500 that he lost on the wager, but I reckon I will let him slide this time.

Y'all have a good one, Bocephus out

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Ridge Rooster

Curious if the Led Sled could be causing the chipping issue I mentioned above by changing the ejection characteristics?

Ridge Rooster

runngun

I think that it's going to be the lead sled causing the issues you are having.  That is my thoughts.
I don't think that you hurt anything by changing the springs., try shooting it some without the sled. I believe it would run like a champ.

Have a good one, Bocephus

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Ridge Rooster

Well I do believe that the Led Sled was causing me the issues with everything ejection and cycling issues anyways. I put some tape on chipped area of ejection port and fired 5 of the turkey loads that I thought  were causing the issues off of sand bags. Not a mark on ejection port tape and loaded and extracted all of them fine.

Hope that was all the problems resolved.

Ridge Rooster